Update : November 15, 2022
First RIT Web Site
- In 1999, per request of Saya U Soe Paing and U Hla Min, U Khin Maung Zaw (KMZ, SPHS70, EC76, UCC) designed and implemented the ex-rit.org web site.
- He paid for the domain name and the cost ($30+ per month) of hosting the web site.
- The “soft” costs (time and effort of KMZ) cannot be measured.
- Ivan Lee (U Khin Maung Oo, M69) donated $360 for one year’s hosting cost.
- San Francisco Bay Area Alumni Group with Saya Allen Htay as President and Maurice Chee (U Hla Myint Thein, M75) as Treasurer pledged to support the web site.
The founder members donated $120 (or so each).
Some supporters (e.g. U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69) and U Aung Myint (M69) from Singapore) also donated.
- The Group was formally established as “RIT Alumni International”.
With the help of the ex-rit web site, many sayas and alumni got connected electronically and physically.
- The First RIT Grand Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe was hosted by RIT Alumni International in San Francisco in October 2000.
- KMZ set up web pages for SPZP-2000.
- I wrote 64 “Count down to the Reunion” and 36 “Post-Reunion” posts for SPZP-2000.
- We published the Commemorative Issue of RIT Alumni International Newsletter for SPZP-2000.
The issue has articles by Saya U Aung Khin, Saya Dr. Freddie Ba Hli and Dr. Myint Thein (M73, Ba Thein — Atlanta).
- KMZ set up special web pages for Dr. Htay Lwin Nyo (EP74, UCC), Saya Dr. San Tint (EE61) and for announcing SPZP-2002 in Singapore and SPZP-2004 in Yangon.
- KMZ was an eligible bachelor working four 10-hour week when he started the web site. He spent long days and week ends.
For his good Kamma, he had better paying jobs and a nice family.
Bad for us, KMZ no longer had the time and luxury to enhance to his promised Version 2 of the web site. The web site became dormant and eventually folded.
Second RIT web site
- U Wunna Ko Ko (son of Sayama Daw Khin Mar Mar (Physics, UCC) and grandson of Saya U Net (Mathematics, MASU) set up rit-alumni.info web site based in Japan with the help of sponsors (e.g. Dr. Thet Naing Oo).
- The web site re-posted “RIT Alumni International Newsletter”.
- After completing his graduate studies, U Wunna Ko Ko moved back to Myanmar temporarily and headed to USA.
- He worked for the Myanmar Language projects at Northern Illinois University (NIU).
- He joined an elite computer company named SAS, and moved to North Carolina.
- For a few years, he continued maintaining his web site and the mailing list for the Newsletter.
- He did not have enough time, and the web site became inactive and eventually folded.
My Web Sites
- In early 2018, I started a free web site “LifeLongLearning140.wordpress.com“.
- I have archived selected Trivia posts on the web site.
- I have renamed it “Myanmar 2021” to add some events from Myanmar (notably in 2021)
- In late 2018, I started a paid web site hlamin.com
I have archived my “revised/updated” posts in the web site.
My Facebook Groups
- Personal Facebook Pages
- RIT Updates
- Life Long Learning
I earlier also posted to
- RIT 69ers
- NorCal RITAA
- YUBC Old Members
- Swel Daw Yeik
- P.B.R.S. Group
- RU Centennial (Gangaw Myay Yar Pyie)
Life Long Learning
- We learn new topics and also new views about old topics.
Without filtering and focus, it is not possible even to read the topics let alone master them.
- Many universities, research institutes and projects have multi-disciplinary teams.
- Everyone is an SME (Subject Matter Expert).
We benefited from the feedback of Dr. Khin Maung U, Dr. Nyunt Wai, Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint, U Khin Maung Zaw, Dr. Kyaw Tint, Uzin Bobby Myo Tun, and U Aung Myint (to name a few).
- There are 50,000+ alumni spanning over five or six decades.
I know a tiny fraction.
I was surprised and delighted to know that a young alumni volunteer named Zarni Tun is the son of my cousin brother U Tun Tin.
- There are many subjects that I do not know.
I audited 100+ free on-line courses.
- There are many books that I have not read.
- A few years back, I had “retina tear” and an operation to remove cataract.
My family suggested me to save my eyes.
I listen everyday to book summaries on blinklist.com
I subscribe to Merriam Webster’s Word of the Day Podcast
Categories: V W X Y Z