Update : November 15, 2022
- February is the second month of the Gregorian Calendar.
- February is the shortest month.
It has 28 days in a Common Year and 29 days in a Leap Year.
- Pyidaungsu Nay (Union Day) is a public holiday in the Union of Burma.
- It commemorates the signing of the Pinlong Sar Choke (Panglong Agreement) on February 12, 1947.
- I wrote a poem “Our Unity” with the pen name Maung Hlaing Phyo for publication in the Forward Magazine.
I received K15 for the poem.
The artist received K50 for the background illustration.
- Bogyoke Aung San was born on February 13, 1915.
- He was named Htain Lin.
- He changed the name to rhyme with that of Aung Than (his elder brother).
Arzani U Ba Win is their eldest brother.
- Centennial celebrations for Bogyoke were held in 2015.
- February 13 is also as Khalay Myar Nay (Children’s Day).
The Full Moon of Tabodwe often falls in February.
Two celebrations are held.
- Htamane Pwe (Sticky Rice Festival)
- Ovada Partimauk Day (Exhortation)
- Valentine’s Day (Chit Thu Myar Nay) is not a public holiday
- Many people send greeting cards and presents.
- In the early days, there were two holidays.
One to celebrate George Washington’s birthday.
Another to celebrate Abraham Lincoln’s birthday.
- Later a single holiday in February to honor all US Presidents was proposed.
- Some states continue to celebrate the birthdays of Washington and Lincoln.
- “Family Day” (holiday) is observed on the 2nd Monday of February in Ontario.
- Family Day is observed on the 3rd Monday of February in British Columbia.
Lunar New Year
- Some countries (including China and Vietnam) observe the Lunar Year.
- The Lunar Calendar is based on the Chinese Zodiac consisting of Twelve signs staring with the Rat and ending with the Pig.
- Generally, the Lunar New Year occurs at the end of January or the beginning of February. The date is not fixed in the Gregorian Calendar.
Our Unity (Poem)
- My poem was published in WPD (Working People’s Daily)
- I composed the poem for “Union Day”
- Maung Hlaing Phyo is one of my pen names
Categories: D E F