Update : November 14, 2022
- Second month of the old Roman Calendar
- Fourth month of the Gregorian Calendar
- Has 30 days
- Thingyan means “Change”.
- Cula Thingyan (small change) occurs every month when the Sun sign enters a new Yathi / Rasi.
- Maha Thingyan (big change) occurs every year on April 13
In the Geocentric Model, the Sun sign enters Meiktha on April 13
- Three or four days of Water Festival
Some perform meritorious deeds (e.g. helping the Elderly, observe Eight Precepts)
Myanmar New Year
- Usually falls on April 16 (for three days of Thingyan)
- Often fall on April 17 (for four days of Thingyan)
- The deadline for filing taxes in the USA is April 15.
- If April 15 falls on the weekend, the deadline is moved to the following Monday.
- In 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the deadline was moved to July 15
- NCAA Basketball Tournament Finals
Tournament started with 64 – 66 College Teams in March
Four teams make to the “Final Four”
The winner is crowned NCAA Basketball Champion
- Occasional : Passover (celebrated by the Jews)
- Occasional : Easter / Resurrection of Jesus Christ (celebrated by Christians)
- Occasional : The Islamic Calendar is purely lunar; so Ramadan falls on different months in the Solar Calendar. In 2020, Ramadan falls in 2020.
- In 2020, due to “Social Distancing” measures to contain COVID-19, most celebrations were “toned down”.
Over the years, we lost three relatives during the Thingyan period.
- U Than Lwin (Eric, uncle)
- Daw Mya Mya (Emerald, cousin)
- Dr. Khin Tun (Peter, son of my cousin U Tin U) on April 13, 2020
On a bright note, there are some birthdays and anniversaries of uncles, aunts and cousins.
- April Love (Movie / Song)
- April in Portugal (Song)
- April showers bring May flowers (Saying)
- Wrote a poem about Ngapali Beach.
Visited Ngapali three times.
One trip was to give a Guest Lecture at the Ngapali Luyechun Camp for university students in the Summer of 1988.
RIT Alumni Newsletter
- Started the “RIT Alumni International Newsletter” in April 1999.
- It was partly responsible for the “First RIT Alumni Grand Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe” (also known as SPZP-2000) in San Francisco in October 2000.
69er Gathering in Yangon
There were two Mingalar (Auspicious) Celebrations on the 69er monthly breakfast gathering at Royal Rose Restaurant (7 April, 2018)
- Birthday for Mehm Aye Chan (M69)
- 45th Wedding Anniversary for Hla Myint Thein (C69) & Myint Myint Than(C71)
- Ko San Linn C69 passed away on 5th April 2018 at Asia Royal Hospital.
Funeral services took place on the April 11 am at Hindi Cemetery, Yae Wai.
Ko San Linn is GBNF serial 82
- U Paw Khin (C75), thrice elected as MP (Member of Parliament) passed away earlier.
Gathering at iNapa Winery in April 2018
- U Myint Swe (EP74) and Daw San San (EC74) gave us a ride to iNapa Winery to attend the gathering hosted by U Gordon Kaung (M83) and Daw Lillian Kaung (EC83).
- Attendees include U Aung Soe Win (Consul General) & family, U Kai (Myanmar Gazette) & brother; Saya U Maung Maung (George), Saya U Myat Htoo, U Ko Ko Zin, U Aung Myint Oo, U Nyunt Than, U San Lin, U Myo Aung and spouses; Daw Mu Mu Khin & some guests (including historian of Atlas Peak).
- U Aung Soe Win presented a Myanmar Flag. Group photos were taken in front of the flags.
- iNapa Wine presented two bottles of Premium Wine: one for U Aung Soe Win and one for CGLA employees.
- The event was reported in Myanmar Gazette.
2018 Thingyan in the Bay Area
- Ko Yu Ket (Edward Saw, EC85) gave us a ride to the Thingyan Festival at Dhammananda Vihara (Half Moon Bay Monastery).
The compound was jam packed. Many cars had to park along Highway 1 (outside the compound).
Thanks to the EC and BOD of TBSA (Theravada Buddhist Society of America), volunteers, food donors.
- Among the attendees were Saya U Maung Maung (George, ChE66), U Thaung Nyunt (M87), U Walter Tan (M70), U Ko Ko Zin (M84), Ko Sein Myint (EP69)’s daughter and grand child.
Categories: A B C