Update : November 13, 2022
- Set Hmu is used to refer to RIT (as in Set Hmu Tekkatho).
It is used to refer to Mechanical Engineering (as in Set Hmu InGyinNiYa).
- It was founded by U Win Thein (M67, GBNF) in the 1964-65 Academic Year.
- The weekly newsletter was sold by volunteers [mostly along the corridors] for ten pyas.
- The Thadin Zin not only covered the news, but was a fertile breeding ground for poets, essayists, authors and cartoonists.
- I wrote a few short notes for the Thadin Zin using my pen name “Tekkatho Ga [Nge] Ga [Gyi] Na [Nge] Na [Gyi]”.
- I saw the dexterity with which U Win Thein cut the Stencil (also known Gestener and Wax paper) with his meticulous handwriting.
- During my visit to Yangon in 2012, I received a CD of Mechanical Newsletters (for 1968-69 to 1973-74). They were compiled by an alumni couple (U Kyaw Thein and Daw Than Than Mu).
U Tin Maung Swe (Cartoon) and U Khin Maung Toe received copies for re-distribution to interested sayas and alumni.