Dr. Maung Maung Nyo is a medical doctor, professor and an award winning author.
He wrote an article about eminent alumni from Rangoon University.
RU produced scholars, leaders, authors — to name a few.
- Dr. Ko Ko Gyi (Colonel, IM(2), Educator)
- Thakin Ba Sein (Political Leader)
- U Ba Swe (Former Prime Minister)
- Theikpan Maung Wa (ICS U Sein Tin, Author)
- Thein Pe Myint (Political Leader, Author)
- Bogyoke Kyaw Zaw (Thirty Comrades)
- Maung Htin (Author)
- Zaw Gyi (U Thein Han, Poet, Chief Librarian
- Dr. Kyaw Thet (Professor of History)
U Pe Maung Tin, Dr. Htin Aung, Dr. Hla Myint, Dr. Maung Maung Kha, Ludu Daw Ah Mar, Daw Khin Myo Chit, Dr. Daw Khin Mya, M.A. Daw Ohn
- Sayagyi U Pe Maung Tin (Pali and Burmese Scholar) convinced RU to have a separate Burmese Department.
He was the first native Principal of Rangoon College.
- Dr. Htin Aung served as Principal of Rangoon College, and Rector of Rangoon University.
He is a distinguished Author, Historian and Folklorist.
- Dr. Hla Myint is a distinguished Economist.
He served as Rector of Rangoon University.
- Dr. Maung Maung Kha served as Professor of Physics.
He is the longest tenured Rector.
He served as Rector of RU, RASU and University of Distance Learning.
- Ludu Daw Ah Mar is considered as a “Literary Mother” by many journalists and writers.
- Daw Khin Myo Chit won International awards for her writings.
- Dr. Daw Khin Mya was a pioneer of Education in Burma.
- M.A. Daw Ohn was an early female post-graduate in Burma.
Col. Min Sein, Dr, Ba Than, Dr. Ko Gyi, Dr. Daw Yin May
- They are some of the Medical Pioneers in Burma.
- Col. Min Sein (Dean) and Dr. Daw Yin May (OG) are parents of Dr. Thein Htut (RUBC Gold, Australia).
- Dr. Ba Than (Surgeon) is the father of Georgie, Kitty and Amy.
He ran the hospital (during the Japanese Occupation) which treated Bogyoke Aung San, Bogyoke Ne Win and Thakin Than Tun.
He served as Rector of IM(1) and founded “Zwe Ah Nyeint”.
- Dr. Ko Gyi served as MS of EENT.
He is the father of Ko Tin Oo, Ko Aung Khin (GBNF) and Dr. Thein Wai.
Bogyoke Aung San: Architect of Burma’s Independence
Dr. Ba U : President of the Union of Burma
- Dr. Ba U wrote “My Burma”.
He claimed to be the “first” President to be elected according to the Constitution.
Many consider him to be the “second” President, who succeeded Sao Shwe Thaik.
Rangoon University Student’s Union EC for 1935 – 36
Oway Magazine Committee Members (1936)
U Ba Hein and U Hla Shwe : Student Leaders
U Thant (UNSG) : Burma’s Son
Dr. Tha Hla
- Dr. Tha Hla served as Professor of Geology, Interim Dean of Engineering, and Rector.
He retired after serving as Advisor on UN projects.
I heard some good stories about Dr. Tha Hla from a saya (who received help and advice during his stay in Thailand from Sayagyi).
Dr. Nyi Nyi
- Dr. Nyi Nyi was a mentee of Dr. Tha Hla.
- He served as Professor of Geology and as Secretary / Deputy Minister of Education (which implemented the then “New” Education System including the controversial ILA System, and the reorganization of RU into several Institutes).
- He chaired the UCC Project Management Committee.
- After retirement, he worked for UN.
Mya Than Tint
- He is kan outstanding Translator.