Thanks to Sayama Daw May Saw Lwin (MEHS57), Saya Dr. Soe Win (SPHS58), Dr. Tin Wa (SPHS57, brother of Dr. Frankie Ohn, SPHS59), Dr. Swe Khin Tun and Bernard Khaw for providing the details of the 1957, 1958, 1959, 1963 and 1965 Matriculates.
The ILA system was employed for 1964 and 1965. Along with the 3-NRC rule, the definition of “Top Matriculates” changed.
- As of October 12, 2019, there are 4700+ members.
- There are 10000 posts.
- It is difficult if not impossible to read all the posts and the relevant comments.
- Dr. Nyi Thet Lwin (Admin of the Group) has organized the posts by Popular Topics.
- U Aung Mon (Moderator of the Group) has used Translation Software to convert posts (using Unicode compliant fonts) to Zawgyi and vice versa.
There are 30000+ posts.
The Unicode/Zawgyi problem has no easy fix.
Matriculation (1951 – 1965)
- I had posted about “First in Burma in the Matriculation examination from 1951 – 1965. There were a few missing items (e.g. for 1955).
- This morning at the Hta Pa Na Peik Ceremony at Sae Taw Win 2 Dhamma Center in Sebastapol, California, Sayama Daw Tin Tin Maw (Chemistry) told me that her elder sister Lily Hwang (MEHS55) stood First in Burma in the Matriculation of 1955.
- Earlier, Thit Yine commented that Boon Chiong (Dr. Hla Shwe, Yegyaw Methodist) stood First in Burma in the Matriculation of 1953.
- The following is the updated list of “Top Students in Burma”. There are a few items still missing.
- 1951 : George Chapman (SPHS / St. Paul’s High School) : First
- 1952 : Dr. Nyunt Tin (SPHS) : First / FRCP / GBNF
Dr. Myo Tint (TTC) : Third / MBBS
- 1953 : Dr. Hla Shwe (Boon Chiong, Yegyaw Methodist) : First / Physics
U Ohn Khin (Yegyaw Methodist) : Second
- 1954 : Koon Yin Chu (Phillip Chu, SPHS) : First / Architecture
Dr. Tin Myo Than (TTC) : Second
- 1955 : Lily Hwang (MEHS / Methodist English High School) : First
- 1956 : Ye Myint (St. Peter’s High School) : First
Thaung Tin (St. Peter’s) : Second
Khin Maung Than (St. Peter’s) : Joint Third
Dr. Than Myint (St. Paul’s) : Joint Third / Physics
- 1957 : Dr. Htin Kyaw (Hein Kyu, Sacred Heart) : First / Physics Honors
Dr. Nellie Liu (MEHS) : Second
Dr. Htin Aung (Hein Pu, Sacred Heart) : Sixth / Physics Honors
- 1958 : Dr. Soe Win (SPHS) : First / Chemistry Honors
Robert Sein (SPHS) : Second / Physics Honors
Myint Myint Tin (MEHS) : Third
- 1959 : Dr. Hla Ngwe Tin (Frankie Ohn, SPHS) : First / Physics Honors
Dr. Shewan Lee (SPHS) : 2nd / Chemistry / California Institute of Technology
Dr. Than Nwe Aung (SPHS) : 3rd / MBBS
“Rocky” Koon Yin Chu’s younger brother : Tie 4th / Doctor
Oo Oo Tha : Tie 4th / Mathematics Honors / well know private tuition teacher
- 1960 : Austin Kyan (MEHS) : First
Dr. Nyan Win : Second
Arthur Hla Maung : Third
Marie Nyun : Fourth
Indian lady : Fifth
Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint (SPHS) : Sixth
- 1961 : Lina Ong (MEHS) : First
Dr. Robin Ban (Kyaw Win, SPHS) : Second
- 1962 : Need Information
- 1963 : Dr. Khin Maung U (SPHS) : First
Dr. Min Oo (SPHS) : Second / Mathematics
Dr. Myo San (Freddie Ba San) : Third / GBNF
Dr. Nyunt Wai (Victor Nyunt) : Fourth
Dr. Thein Wai (SPHS) : Fifth
Kenny Wong (MEHS) : Sixth / Mechanical
Hla Min (SPHS) : Seventh / Computer Science
Dr. Winnie Aung (Branch Convent) : Eighth
Dr. Johnny Maung Maung (Aung Kyaw Zaw, SPHS) : Ninth
Maung Maung Kyi (SPHS) : Eleventh / Chemical
Dr. Khin Tun (SJDBS – St. John’s Diocesan) : Twelveth
Aung Thu Yein (Brownie Way, SPHS) : Thirteenth / Electrical
Dr. Frank Gale (Khin Maung Zaw, SPHS) : Seventeenth
- 1964 : Dr. Cherry Hlaing (St. John’s Convent) : First
Dr. Lyn Aung Thet (MEHS) : Lost tie breaker with ILA
Dr. Aung Win Chiong (SPHS) : Third (in raw marks)
Indian Lady : Fourth
Dr. Min Lwin (Maurice Hla Kyi, SPHS) : Fifth (in raw marks)
- 1965 : Bernard Khaw (SPHS) : First : Retired in USA
Maung Aye (SPHS) : Second : Doctorate from USA
Winston Sein Maung (SPHS, GBNF) : Third
Cherry Than Tin : Fourth : Moved to Singapore
Dr. Yi Thway (Edwin) : Admitted to IM(1) as Roll Number (1) : Admission was based on ILA : Moved to UK
Dr. Paing Soe (Freddie) : Admitted to IM(1) as Roll Number (2) : Tied in raw marks with Dr. Yi Thway : Retired as Deputy Minister of Health
- U Kyaw Myint (Bar-at-law) stood First in Burma with distinction in all subjects. He matriculated from “Government High School”.
- U Ba Khin (Vipassana Teacher, Auditor General, SPHS) stood First in Burma.
- Four Generations and Five Members (headed by U Hoke Sein) stood First in Burma (which is literally unbeatable).
U Hoke Sein (Compiler of Pali-English-Burmese Dictionary)
Son : U Saw Hlaing
Grand daughter : Dr. Cherry Hlaing
Two Great Grand Children
Categories: Rangoon University