- One member asked if there will be a publication to commemorate the Centennial Celebrations.
- One member suggested to have a Photo Exhibition with the consent of the photo owners.
There are some publications by individuals and groups to commemorate the Centennial Celebrations. The organizing committee is accepting materials (e.g. articles, poems) for publication.
As part of the count down, there were some exhibitions (e.g. photos, books). The major events are scheduled for November and December 2020.
- When the University of Rangoon was established in December 1920, it had the Department of Law.
- U May Aung served as the first Professor.
U May Aung
- U May Aung (Barrister-at-law, LL.D) served as Professor of Law from 1920 -1922.
- He was a Rakkhine national.
- He later became Home Minister.
- He is the father of Daw Mya Sein (Scholar).
Sir Arthur Eggar
- Sir Arthur Eggar served as Professor of Law from 1923 – 1937.
- He earlier served as Lecturer in the Mathematics Department at Rangoon College, and as a Legal Advisor in the Middle East.
- He founded the Rangoon University Boat Club (RUBC) in 1923, and was elected as Life President.
- He pledged one third of his salary for the operation of RUBC.
- He wrote his autobiography (in three installments) for the Guardian Magazine in the mid 50s.
- Several Old Members including me reprinted his autobiography for the 90th Anniversary of the founding of RUBC.
YUBC OMA has copies of Sir Arthur Eggar’s autobiography. It could be of interest to students and practitioners of Law.
Dr. Ba Han
- Dr. Ba Han is an alumnus of Sorbonne University.
- He served as Professor Law for two terms : 1937 – 1942 and again from 1946 – 1950.
- The University of Rangoon was closed for a period during the war.
- Dr. Ba Han also compiled a dictionary.
- Dr. Ba Maw (Adipati) is his brother.
Both brothers attended De La Salle Schools (e.g. St. Paul’s).
Dr. Ba Maw taught English at RU.
U Kyaw Myint
- U Kyaw Myint stood first in Burma in Matriculation with distinctions in all subjects from Central. He and Dr. Ba Than were selected by Mr. Matthew Hunter (Principal of Rangoon College). His beloved mother passed away He requested the Principal that he wanted to pay last respect to his mother. The Principal said that he would be expelled if he did not show up at the entrance examination. He attended his mother’s last journey and was punished with the expulsion from the College. Worse still, his father threatened to disown him. The Kan So Kan Kaung story of U Kyaw Myint can be read in a series of blogs by his son Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint and re-printed in my web site hlamin.com
- U Kyaw Myint served as Professor of Law and Dean of the Faculty of Law from 1950 – 1958.
- He earlier served as Justice of High Court and Supreme Court, Head of the Tribunal that tried Galon U Saw and a co-founder of a political party with Dr. Ba Maw. He later founded his law firm.
- U Kyaw Myint has an elder brother (ICS U Tin Tut), two younger brothers (U Myint Thein and Dr. Htin Aung), and three younger sisters (Daw Khin Mya Mu, Daw Khin Saw Mu and Daw Tin Saw Mu).
- According to Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint, his father U Kyaw Myint had full confidence in his students (e.g. Guardian U Sein Win, Sao Hso Holm, U Mya Thein).
Law Professors (for the later periods)
- U Myint (1958 – 1961)
- U Aung Khine (1961 – 1964)
- U Hla Aung (1965 – 1971)
- U Tin Ohn (1971 – 1986)
- U Tin Aung Aye (1986 – 1994)
- Daw Than Nwe (1994 – 2007)
- Dr. Daw Khin Mar Yi (2007 – 2018)
- In the early days, BL (Bachelor Law) was studied as a post-graduate degree (e.g. after B.A. or B.Sc.)
- Several student politicians enrolled in the program to preserve their eligibility as RU students.
- Under the new Education System, LL.B was established.
- It was a five year study after Matriculation.
Related posts in RU Centennial
- The first batch of LL.B graduates
- Photos of several other batches.
- Sayamas known for their beauty and teaching.
- Dr. Maung Maung Kha’s daughter Daw May Thi Ka was a sayama at the Law Department before she moved to the USA. She was a core organizer and coordinator for the groups which did fund raising for Saya Kha’s Centennial a few years back.
- Some practitioners of Law studied/took exams for HGP and RL.
Categories: Rangoon University