- San Aung (Sydney Tin, Ko Pyu, PPBRS)
Played the Bass Guitar and Drums with bands notably TAMPS (named for Tin Aung, Austin Xavier, Mra Tun, Pierpont Morgan and Sydney San Aung).
Hobbies : Repair of cars, radios
Parents : U Chit Tin, Daw Than Yi
Brothers : Mya Aung, Than Aung, May Aung
- San Aung (Reginald Choung Po, Sonny, SPHS58, GBNF)
One of the youngest Senior Pilot at UBA/BAC.
RU Boxing Champion for Pin Weight.
Served as Treasurer of RUBC.
Perished in a plane accident.
Father : Saw Choung Po
- San Aye (Dr.)
- San Hla
- San Hla Aung (Dr., C58, Top student)
Had to wait one year to enter the University of Rangoon because he was under age.
MS in Civil Engineering at MIT
Doctorate at Tulane University,New Orleans in the USA.
Retired after 50+ years of teaching in Burma and the USA.
President, RIT Rowing Association
Line Judge, RUBC Regatta
President, RIT Swimming & Water Polo Club.
- San Lin (Dr., C62, EPC, Taught part-time at RIT)
Worked for UN projects in Thailand before migrating to the USA.
In 2019, co-organized a mini-gathering in Los Angeles to pay respect to Sayagyi U Min Wun. Gave us a ride to attend the LA gathering.
Spouse : Dr. Thynn Thynn
- San Lin (C69, GBNF)
- San Lin (Robert Chan, EC73, Son of Chan Boon Pinn (Railways))
Spouse : Marina (Hla Myint, EC73)
Studied at RIT and UCC.
Worked in Singapore and USA
- San Lin (M87, Maung Lu Pay)
Executive Committee member (e.g. Auditor) of NorCal RITAA.
Named after U San Lin, who signed the Kyat Notes issued by the Union Bank of Burma.
- San Lwin (Dr., Ronald Lwin, GBNF)
- San Lwin (Director)
- San Lwin (Philosophy, Director, Monk)
- San Maung (Gerald Sein, RUBC Gold and Coach)
- San Maung (Bando, Stunt)
- San Maung (Son of U Choung Po)
- San Maung (Architect)
- San Myint (Rector, Institute of Education)
- San Myint (Mathematics)
- San Myint (BCom, Vocalist)
- San Myint Thane (Sammy Thane, EC79, UCC, USA)
- San Nyo Aung (Blogger, RIT)
- San Nyunt (Street)
- San Pe (Father of Dr. Pe Nyun, Dr. Pe Thein, Ivy, Flora …)
- San San
- San San Aye (Daw, Actress)
- San San Aye (Daw, UK, Spouse of Dr. Ye Myint)
- San San Lwin (Daw, UCC)
- San San Mya (Daw, EP73, UK)
- San San Myint (Daw, UCC)
- San San Myint (Dr. Daw, California)
- San San Nwe (Dr. Daw)
- San San Nyunt (Daw, Sandra Wu, M77)
- San San Swe (Daw, EC74)
- San San Tin (Daw, Cynthia Tin, Journalist)
- San Shwe (Father of Dr. Paing Soe / Freddie)
- San Shwe Maung (Aung Lwin, Director)
- San Shwe Myint (Cartoon)
- San Shwin (Dr.)
- San Tha
- San Tha Aung (Physics, DHE, GBNF)
- San Thein (Saya, SPHS)
- San Tin (Saya, Burmese, 8-8-88 Saya Ah Phwe)
- San Tin (Spouse of Tin Po)
- San Tin Aung (Shwebo, Palmist)
- Sandar (Sar Oo, Rosebelle Mya Maung, Actor)
- Sandar (Spouse of La Min (EP70))
- Sandar Khin (Daw, ex-Minister)
- Sandra Rahman
- Sandra Tint
- Sandra Wu (Daw San San Nyunt, M77)
- Dat Pon Sann Aung (M73, RUBC Gold)
Parents founded “Han Tha Aye Nylon”
Secreatry, Mechanical Co-operative
Founded USA (U Sann Aung) Photo Lab.
Sister : Daw Than Than Yi (T71, GBNF).
- Sann Oo (Dr., EP67) served as Associate Editor of “Hlyat Sit Sar Saung” published by RIT Electrical Engineering Association.
- Sao is a prefix for members of the Shan nobility.
- Sao Aung Myint (John Khun Kyi, Irrigation)
- Sao Hso Holm (Sawbwalay, English First Class Honors, Law, Author)
- Sao Kan Gyi (Tony, RIT English, GBNF)
- Sao Khai Pha (Editor)
- Sao Khun Cho (Minister)
- Sao Khun Kyi (Father of John and Shirley)
- Sao Mon Sint (Daw, Cindy, UCC)
- Sao San Htun (Arzani)
- Sao Shwe Thaik (President)
- Sao Yan Naing (RUBC, Brother of Sao Kan Gyi)
- Sao Yan Paing (Brother of Sao Kan Gyi)
- Gerald Sao (Immanuel Four)
- Saw is a prefix for Karen (Kayin) names.
- Saw is a clan name for Chinese.
- Saw Edison (EP69, Volleyball, Australia, Brother of Saw Orson)
- Saw Hlaing (Chan Chor Lye, Son of Chan Mah Phee)
- Saw Hlaing (Family of “First in Burma” starting with his father)
Father : U Hoke Sein (Pali-English-Burmese Dictionary). He, his Daughter : Dr. Cherry Hlaing
Grand children : Two
The record — four generations and five members of First in Burma — will not be broken.
- Saw Hlaing (RIT Physics, GBNF)
Graduate studies in Japan.
Served as Principal of Taunggyi College and as Director at the Ministry of Education,
First met him as an active member of the Kusalakari Association at Shwe Dagon Pagoda.
- Saw Lwin (Saya, DHE)
- Saw Lwin (Father of Jimmy, George)
- Saw Lwin (Father of Hazel, Olive, May)
- Saw Maung (Bogyoke)
- Saw Maung (Father of Alan and Alfred)
- Saw Min (Father of Alice)
- Saw Myint (Col, RC member)
- Saw Nyo (PBRS, Australia, Brother of Saw Shwe)
- Saw Nyunt (Lu Nge Yay Ya)
- Saw Oo (PBRS, Brother of Kyi Kyi Tin, Tin Tin Aye)
- Saw Orson (A70, Volleyball, Brother of Saw Edison)
- Saw Pe (Father of Marlar, Thi Thi)
- Saw Shwe (PBRS, Australia, Brother of Saw Nyo)
- Saw Thein, Daw
- Saw Tin (Dr., Mathematics, GBNF)
- Saw Tun (Burmese, RIT, NIU, Pen name : Saw Lu)
- Saw Tun (Science Scholar, Mathematics, GBNF)
- Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69, Spouse of U Soe Paing)
- Sein (Saya, SPHS, Father of Dr. Soe Win (SPHS58, First in Burma))
- Sein (Bandoola, Entrepreneur)
- Sein (Maung, Cartoonist)
- Sein (Maung, Ah Yo Ku, son of U Kwi Si)
- Sein Aung (B.Com)
- Sein Aung Lynn (Dr., Lynn Dental)
- Sein Aung Min (Mintha)
- Sein Ban (Minister)
- Sein Ban (Dr.)
- Sein Hla (MIT alumnus, Registrar of BIT, Son of Justice U Bo Gyi (RU Vice Chancellor))
- Sein Hla (Engineer, Bilingual Writer and Poet, Won Literary Awards, Father of Aung Zeya)
- Sein Hlaing (Professor, RIT EE)
- Sein Hlaing (Coach of the Burma Football team).
- Sein Hlaing (Bago, Organizer for San Francisco Bay Area Entertainment events
- Sein Hlaing (PBRS, BAF, GBNF, Son of U Chit Hlaing and Daw Mi Mi)
- Sein Hman (Bo, GBNF)
- Sein Htoon (M63, Past Captain and Gold of RUBC, 1960 ARAE Champion, Past President of Myanmar Rowing and Yachting Federation)
Children : Kyaw Swar Htoon, Zeyar Linn, Dr. Zin May Htoon
U Sein Htoon and Zeyar Linn form the second Father-Son pair who are Past Captain and Gold of RUBC
- Sein Htun
- Sein Khin (Daw, Actor)
- Sein Kyaing (Rowing, Defense and Burma)
- Sein Lwin (Raymond Ba Hpyu, Vocalist)
- Sein Lwin (Professor, Zoology)
- Sein Lwin (Bogyoke, President (BSPP era))
- Sein Lwin Lay (Author)
- Sein Maung (Master Mariner)
- Sein Min (Professor, Mathematics)
- Sein Mya
- Sein Myint (EP69, Rowing, Swimming, Water Polo)
- Sein Mya (Col.)
- Sein Mya Aung
- Sein Myint (Actor)
- Sein Myint (SLR)
- Sein Myint (Dr. L, M73)
- Sein Myint (EC76, UCC, UN)
- Sein Myint (Dr., RIT, MES)
- Sein Myint Maung (UCC, Australia)
- Sein Sein (Daw, Registrar of RU, Director of DHE)
- Sein Sein Aye (Dr. Daw, MD)
- Sein Sein Yi (Daw)
- Sein Shan (Mathematics, Saya)
- Sein Shwe (SPHS61, M67, Luyechun, EPC)
- Sein Than (PBRS)
- Sein Thaung (ChE)
- Sein Thaung (Sandaya)
- Sein Thit (EE)
- Sein Tin (ICS, Theikpan Maung Wa, Co-founded Khit San Sar Pay with Saya U Thein Han (Zawgyi) and Saya U Wun (Minthuwun).
Succumbed to a robbery turned murder.
We had to study his “Wut Htu Saung Par” (with Maung Lu Aye as the main character).
Dr. Daw Khin Kyi (OG, daughter of Chief Justice and RU Vice Chancellor U Bo Gyi) posted an account of the demise of ICS U Sein Tin.
- Sein Tin (Tekkatho, Writer)
- Sein Tin (M69, Owns a shop specializing in Omega watches, Known as “Omega” Sein Tin and “Pathein” Sein Tin)
Visits Florida to spend quality time with his family and New Jersey to have mini-reunion with U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan, M69) and other alumni.
- Sein Tin (Johnny, SPHS68, EC74, Nephew of U Thet Lwin)
Before migrating to Australia, he volunteered at UCC.
His mother was very happy to see her son studying Computers. She provided lots of food for her son and buddies at UCC.
- Sein Tin (SPHS67, Kenneth Koe, Tennis coach)
- Sein Tin (Son of U Chit Maung)
Siblings : U Mya Maung, Saya U Tin Htut, Daw Kyi Kyi Chit Maung, Daw Si Si Chit Maung, Dr. Yi Yi Chit Maung, Dr. Than Toe and Sayama Daw Kin Kin Chit Maung
He and his brothers helped run the family business (Amyotha Yoke Shin, Carlton cinema, Khit Ah Kyaik Nylon, U Chit Maung & sons).
U Sein Tin, Saya U Tin Htut and their father were forced to spend Waso at Insein.
Elder son : Ko Kyaw Thu (Actor / Director) is known for his Parahita work.
Younger son : Nyi Nyi was an Animation Specialist for Hollywood movies. He has relocated to Myanmar.
- Sein Tu (Dr.)
- Sein Tun (Dr., Physics, SPHS58, GBNF)
- Sein Tun (M69)
- Sein Tun (Lucas Lee, SPHS66, BASES, Los Angeles)
- Sein Tun (BADA)
- Sein Win (Dr., Mathematics, Son of Arzani U Ba Win)
- Sein Win (Guardian)
- Sein Win (Professor, RIT EP Department, MS from University of Michigan, UCC Advisor)
After retirement, worked as Consultant in the industry.
Managed the RIT Rowing, Swimming & Water Polo teams.
- Sein Win (Mathematics, Astronomy)
- Sein Win (Win Aung Kyaw, C69, GBNF)
Amateur but proficient palmist.
Spouse is a professional palmist.
- Sein Win (Nar Yee, T69, GBNF)
- Sein Win (M/Ag69, Owns a “resort” near Kyaik Hti Yo, Brother of Aung Htay (Tennis))
- Sein Win (M69, GBNF)
- Sein Win (C80, President of MEAA in Australia)
EC of RIT Buddhist Association,
Pho So Chin : organized musical sessions
- Sein Yaung (Alfred)
- Shein (Kaya Bala, Body Builder)
- Shein (SLR, DAC, Hiking and Mountaineering)
- I met Saya Dr. Maung Shein and several sayas and sayamas (Dr. Ronald Findlay, Saya Jimmy [Dr. Khin Maung Kywe) and Professor Dr. Sundurum) when my uncle Saya U Than Lwin took me Rangoon University to visit the Faculty of Social Science. My uncle taught Economics and also served as the librarian for Social Science Library. Daw Myint Myint Khin (Hazel) was an Assistant Librarian at SS Library. She later joined RIT as Librarian. Saya Dr. Maung Shein became Deputy Minister of Finance and National Planning.
[Per Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint] Dr. Maung Shein PhD, joined the World Bank after working as Deputy Minister of Finance in Burma. U Maung Maung Hla (younger brother of Dr U Kyaw Maung surgeon) also joined World Bank.
- Maung Shein and Maung Sein are sons of U Kwi Si, a prominent Chinese Ah Yo Ku Saya who did not charge poor patients.
- Shein Soe Myint (EC83, UCC, Son of Saya U Hla Myint (former Head of Mathematics Department at the Institute of Economics)
He passed away while doing further studies in Singapore.
- Shewan Lee (SPHS59, 2nd in Burma)
- Shwe (EP69, 69er HCF)
- Shwe Aung (Author)
- Shwe Ba (Actor)
- Shwe Dagon (Pagoda)
- Shwe Gaung Byaung (Comics)
- Shwe Gyi (Father of Stanley (SPHS63))
- Shwe Hlaing (Studied Chemical Engineering and Mathematics in the USA)
Taught “Engineering Mechanics” in our 2nd BE Class
Taught Algol and “Algol Report” at Mandalay Hall (before UCC was established at Thamaing Campus)
Taught programming to students at RIT (e.g. Class of 76)
- Shwe Htay, Dr. Daw (Australia, spouse of George Peters)
- Shwe Htee (Protective Verse)
- Shwe La Min (Cafe)
- Shwe Maw Daw (Pagoda)
- Shwe Mra ( ICS, Honors in Economics, Chief Secretary of the Burmese Government)
Joined the United Nations.
Sons : Tun Mra, Kyaw Mra, Soe Mra, Win Mra, Maung Maung Mra, Rai Mra, Aung Mra
His sons excelled in Track and Field as well as in their professions.
- Shwe Myint (ex-IBM)
- Shwe Nyar Maung (U Chin Sein)
- Shwe Oh
- Shwe Oo Daung (Author)
- Shwe Oo Min (Sayadaw)
- Shwe Pyi Aye (Musician)
- Shwe Sar Yan (Pagoda)
- Shwe Shane (Father of Kyaw Kyaw Shane, Zaw Zaw Shane, Thynn Thynn Shane)
- Shwe Soon Nyo (Kabyar)
- Shwe Thein (SPHS, Dawei)
- Shwe Thway (Cartoon)
- Shwe Tu (Dr.)
- Shwe Tun (Dr.)
- Shwe Yi (Daw)
- Shwe Zan (Major, Doctor, Father of Tun Zan (RUBC Gold))
- Shwe Zan Aung (SPHS63, GBNF)
- Shwe Zin Ma (Minthamee, Zat Saya)
- Shwe Zin Tun (Dr.)
- Singh is used as a Middle name (and often abbreviated as S.) by Sikhs.
- Balwant Singh majored in Pali. He served as Commissioner of Pegu Division. He later joined UN. He is an RUBC Gold.
- Teja Singh is an entrepreneur. He is the father of D S Saluja.
- Dave Singh Saluja (aka D S Saluja) left RIT before graduation to Bangkok. He co-founded Rama Enterprise with his elder brother (an MIT alumni).
- Surinder Singh (EE69er) moved to Australia.
- Meenu Singh (ChE70) moved to the USA. He has a Ph.D. He became a Professor in CS or IT.
- Jagjit Singh (Jack Bopari, EC7x) moved to the USA. He worked at UIUC.
- Uttam Singh (Uttam S. Gill, M71) was a High School Luyechun from Myitkyina. He moved to the USA. He has a Ph.D. He worked for NASA.
- A S Soni is SPHS 63.
- Soe Aung (M/Auto71, Secretary of RIT Ah Nu Pyinnya Ah Thinn)
- Soe Aung (Spouse of Lei Lei Myaing)
- Soe Aung (M72)
- Soe Aung (M75)
- Soe Khaw (GBNF, Served as Part-time Lecturer and Head of the Mining Department at BOC College)
He worked on several UN assignments before relocating to the USA.
He was a supporter for selected monasteries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Soe Khine (M70, An organizer for the Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65)
- Soe Lwin (EC66, One of casualties from Burma Railways for 8-8-88 and related events)
His interests include astrology and meditation.
- Soe Lwin (M, GBNF) assisted Sayagyi U Ba Than and also taught Strength of Materials.
He is the father in law of Dr. Lu Aye.
- Soe Maung (Proud parent of scholar athletes : U Tin Soe, U Myint Soe, U Nyunt Soe, U Chit Soe, Sally Soe, Mary Soe, Maisie Soe, Muya Soe)
- Soe Maung (M66)
- Soe Min (Saya, Mathematics & Astronomy)
- Soe Min (RIT EE, DCA, GBNF)
- U Soe Mra (Third son of U Shwe Mra. Won Gold in the 2nd SEAP Games for Pole Vault)
- Soe Myint (M72, UCC, GBNF, Retired as Pro-Rector of ICST/UCSY)
He passed away unexpectedly one morning around 3 AM. He had no major medical problems. He had a busy day visiting the Kaba Aye Sun Lun Gu Kyaung twice, and seeing his nephew and niece who were having medical treatment. He is known as “Phone Gyi” Soe Myint in the Class of M72.
According to U Wynn Htain Oo (M72), there are three (or more) Soe Myint in the Class. They have to be differentiated by their nick names (e.g. Kyang Gyi).
- Soe Myint (Guardian, GBNF, Eldest son of U Thein Maung (Htin Lin, National Literary Award winner)).
Brothers : U Soe Win, U Kyaw Zaw and U Khin Zaw.
Graduated with Triple Maths.
He worked at Working People’s Daily as Assistant Editor.
Spouse : Aida Than Saw (daughter of his boss)
Daughter : Dr. Khin Khin Latt, spouse of KMZ.
Later became Chief Editor of Guardian Daily and Magazine.
Per his request, I wrote several articles on Computers and Computer Applications.
I had earlier written poems and translations in Guardian, Working People’s Daily and Forward Magazine.
- Soe Myint (UCC, UN)
His saya Dr. Maung Thein (Geology) told him to study Computer Science.
Known as KSM (Ko Soe Myint, to differentiate for Sunlun Soe Myint).
Worked as Systems Programmer.
Dr. Maung Thein requested KSM and me to give a short session at the Geology department at MASU. The sayas were not happy. “Why is Saya Thein asking two UCC guys to spoil our vacation?”
After Saya Thein transferred to RASU, he again requested UCC to conduct a short course for his sayas. The sayas were delighted to see Pale Shein (Pearl) give the follow up lessons after KSM and me.
Retired from United Nations.
Lives in New York.
President of MASTAA (Myanmar American Science and Technology Alumni Association).
Co-host, MASTAA Interviews of Dr. Aung Gyi, U Soe Paing, Dr. San Hla Aung.
- Soe Myint (Min83, Saya)
Secretary of the RIT Buddhist Association (during his student days).
Patron of RIT Buddhist Association as a Saya.
Joint Secretary of SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016.
Helped organize the compilation and publication of Ovada (Exhortation) of the Sayas and sayamas invited to SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016.
- Soe Myint (Football, Played for Rangoon University and/or Burma)
- Soe Myint (Manager of Rangoon University Printing Department)
- Soe Myint Lwin (EP68, Burma Soccer Selected)
- Soe Myint Win (Dr., GBNF, Doctorate in Electronics)
He taught in the Physics Department.
He was a supporter for selected monasteries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Soe Naung (Dr., Host of Sayadaws visiting Jamaica0
- Soe Paing (SPHS56, RIT EE, UCC, UN)
See Post (e.g. UCC)
- Soe Paing (Musician)
- Soe Pay (Movie director)
- Soe Sa
- Soe Saing (ECAFE)
- Soe San (Recording studio and distributor)
- Soe Tha (EC67, Former Minister)
He and Tun Kyi (M67, GBNF) were RIT Champions for Doubles in Tennis.
- Soe Than (Dr., Saya, UCC, DCS and ICST)
- Soe Thein (Dr. C75, Organizer for the SPZPs held in Singapore)
He volunteered as a web master for the Singapore Alumni. His son volunteered as a photographer and/or videographer. He invited me as a Guest to the Civil Gathering held before SPZP-2007. He invited me to a C75 gathering held at M3 Food Center in Yangon.
- Soe Thein (Student Leader, Ta Ka Tha, Registrar when RIT was opened under the New Education System). He was promoted to Director at the Department of Higher Education (DHE).
U Hla succeeded him as Registrar.
- Soe Thein (Peter Myint Maung, EE69)
He had a medical operation. He asks his daughter to drive him to the Monthly Breakfast Gatherings of the Class of 69.
- Soe Thein (Joe, UCC, GBNF)
- Soe Wai (Navy, Rowed on the first Defense Service team
Crew mates : Sein Kyaing, Hla Khin, Tin Soe and San Myint (Cox).
- Soe Win (Dr., SPHS58, First in Burma in Matriculation, Retired Rector of YUFL)
- Soe Win (Dr., Dicky)
- Soe Win (EP69, GBNF, Captain of RIT Basketball team)
- Soe Win (M69, GBNF)
- Soe Win (Met & Hydro)
- Soe Win (TTC64, EC70, UCC, PTC)
After retirement, he helped run his spouse’s business in Moulmein.
- Soe Win (M66)
- Su (Daw)
- Su Mon (Daw)
- Su Phaya Latt was a Queen
- Su Su (Daw)
- Su Su Khin (Daw)
- Su Su Kyi (Daw)
- Su Su Lwin (Daw, UCC)
- Su Su Lwin (Spouse of U Htin Kyaw, former President)
- Su Su Thein (Daw)
- Su Wai (Daw)
- Sway Tin (Son of U Tin Gyi)
He is an early devotee of Mogok Sayadaw U Vimala. He recorded Sayadaw’s dhamma tape and translated some talks e.g. “Die with a smile”. He is the son-in-law of U Than Daing and the father of Min Sway Tin (Physics/Electronics).
- Swe Aye (Dr., MEHS63, IM2, Medical doctor and poet)
He co-founded the Aye-Thet Scholarship program at TBSA with Dr. Khin Nyo Thet (MEHS63, IM2).
- Swe Latt (Dr., Cyril, Son of Dr. Chit Swe)
- Swe Swe Kyaw Zin
- Swe Swe Lwin (Daw)
- Swe Swe Than (UCC)
- Swe Swe Than (Daw, UCC, US)
- Swe Swe Win Aye (Dr.)
- Swe Than (Bhomu)
- Swe Tin (EE77, Kyauk Pya, Son of Academy U Kyauk Lone / Aung Gyi)
Leave a Reply