- Many years ago, I wrote a poem “The Phaungdaw-u Festival” for the Thadinkyut Supplement of Working People’s Daily (WPD).
- I visited Inlay Lake four times.
- First visit was in the summer of 1965.
Selected as Tekkatho Luyechun for the Inlay Khaung Daing Camp.
- Second visit was in October, 1965.
Accompanied Peter Pe (Aung Kyaw, SPHS, Movie Star) and Maung Maung Aye (SPHS, IM1, GBNF) to Inlay and Taunggyi.
Peter’s cousins (including a medical doctor) live in In Paw Khone in Inlay.
Peter’s uncle U Maung Maung Latt was Ah Mat Choke in Taunggyi.
Saw first hand the famous Phaungdaw-u Festival.
- Third visit was made a few years back.
Took a tour package (air travel to He Ho airport, hotel, car and boat) to Inlay.
Stayed at a hotel in Inlay and then visited selected places in a chartered boat.
Sad to see the declining state of Inlay (e.g. water level).
Also spent some time in Taunggyi and the nearby cave in Ho Pone.
- Fourth visit was in January 2020 at the end of the Myanmar PSA (Public Speakers Association) Tour to Upper Myanmar.
Categories: Poems and Translations