- Gave me a book
- First part : Uppathatahanti
- Second part : Yadana Shwe Htee
- Taught two courses at the Kusalakari monastery in Spady, Fremont
- One is Pali.
- The other is Abdhidhamma.
- Received higher ordination as a monk at the Neikbeinda Monastery in Pyay / Prome.
- Completed one Basket / Part of the Tipitaka (Three Baskets) Examination.
- Dhamma Duta missions in Japan, US, Jamaica, Canada, Taiwan …
- Joined Sayadaw U Silananda at the Dhammanada Vihara (then in Daly City, California).
- In 2007, he succeeded Sayadaw U Silananda as the Chief Resident Monk of Dhammananda Vihara, Half Moon Bay, California.
- Currently, spending most of the time in Myanmar
He has published books in
e.g. Book for Chanting/Recitation
e.g. The Basic Teachings of Theravada of Buddhism (edited by Hla Min and Don Johnson)
e.g. Translation of selected works of U Silananda
Book for Dhamma Chanting
The Basic Teachings Of Theravada Buddhism
- Author: Sayadaw U Jotalankara (Dhammananda Vihara, Half Moon Bay, California, USA)
- Editors: Hla Min and Don Johnson
- First edition : June 2004
- Foreword by Venerable Sayadaw U Silanandabhivamsa
- Fifteen chapters
- 1. Program of worshiping
- 2. Explanation of words
- 3. Benefits and stories of taking refuges and precepts, and offering food, flowers, etc.
- 4. The discipline or duties of laypersons (Gihi-vinaya)
- 5. What is the teaching of the Buddhas?
- 6. Cultivating Good
- 7. Purifying One’s Mind
- 8. The For Divine Abodes (Brahama-viharas)
- 9. Vipassa-bhavana, Insight or Mindfulness Meditation
- 10. The Four Noble Truths & Four Noble Persons
- 11. The Teaching to the Kalamas
- 12. The Pali Alphabet in Roman Characters
- 13. Program of Chanting (Paritta — Eleven Protective Suttas — and other Suttas)
- 14. First two sermons of the Buddha & the Program of Chanting to Consecrate a Buddha Image & Ovada-patimokha
- 15. Program of Novice Ordination
- This book has been used in the Summer Dhamma Camps at Dhammananda Vihara
- Sayadaw U Jotalankara has written Dhamma books in Myanmar, English, and Japanese. Some books were compiled from his articles in the Dhammananda Newsletter published by the Theravada Buddhist Society of America (TBSA).
Theravada Buddhist Novice Ordination and Monk Ordination
- Author : [Sayadaw] U Jotalankara
- Editor : James Rives, Ph.D.
- First Edition : August, 2008
Two kinds of ordination
- Pabbajja : to become a novice (samanera)
- Upasambada : to become a monk (bhikkhu)
Three steps of novice ordination
- shaving off the hair of the head
- putting on robes
- giving the Three Refuges
The procedures for the second and third steps of novice ordination
- Paying homage to the Three Gems
- Handing robes to the teacher
- Asking for the robes from the teacher and putting them on
- Requesting a novice ordination
- Requesting the Ten Novice-precepts with the Three Refuges
- Paying homage to the Buddha
- Taking the Three Refuges
- Taking the Ten Precepts of a Novice
- Choosing a teacher to be the candidate’s preceptor
- Reply of the preceptor
- Reflecting on the use of the Four Requisites
- Reflecting on the repulsiveness of the body
Ten conditions for expulsion from Novice-hood
Five fulfilling conditions for becoming a monk
- Perfections of a person
Eleven categories of disqualified persons
- Perfection of an assembly
- Perfection of the Sima (“Thane”)
Two kinds of Sima
- Perfection of the Motion
- Perfection of the Kammavaca
The procedure of monk ordination
- 1. Choosing the candidate’s preceptor
- 2. Stating the ownership of alms-bowl and robes
- 3. Giving temporary names
- 4. Ordering the candidate to go and stand outsie the Sangha
- 10. Reciting the Natti and Kammacvaca
- 15. The new monk’s special request
The procedure of monk ordination for two candidates|
The 227 Training Rules
- Pen name : “K”
- Son : Wint Khin Zaw (A79)
- Served as Chief Librarian of the Rangoon University Central Library.
Subsequent Chief Librarians : U Thein Han (Zawgyi), U Thaw Kaung.
- Founder and Director of Burma Broadcasting Service (BBS).
BBS is also known as “Myanmar Ah Than” in the early days.
“Yoke Myin Than Kyar” was added when BBS broadcast TV.
Succeeded as Director by U Pe Thaw (father of Dr. Zin Aung).
Burma in my life-time
- Originally titled “Burma in my life-time“
- Had to be renamed “Myanmar in my life-time” for the reprint.
- There is apparently no Grandfather Clause for the title of the books containing “Burma”, when the authorities named “Burma” as “Myanmar”.
- Other books that were affected include
“Trials in Burma” by Maurice Collis, and
“Colorful Burma” by Daw Khin Myo Chit.
Nga Yin Hte Ka Pa Le
(Pearl in My Heart)
- During my visits to Yangon, Saya U Moe Aung (Tekkatho Moe War) gave me books and old RIT Annual Magazines.
- One book is a collection of “Yadana Kabyar Myar” (poems which are comparable to precious gems).
- Another is a collection of Saya’s articles (e.g. Sea of Men) that were published in the various magazines and journals.
- I translated selected poems and articles.
- Sayadaw succeeded U Silanandavhivamsa as Rector of IMBTU
- Taught Abhidhamma in Myanmar and beyond.
- Fundamental Abhidhamma Part I was first taught in 1997 at Maryland, USA.
The book was edited by Dr. Khin Maung U (SPHS, First in Burma in the Matriculation of 1963).
The second edition was published by the Center of Buddhist Studies (CBS), Sagaing Hills in 2005.
- Fundamental Abhidhamma Part II was published by the Center of Buddhist Studies (CBS), Sagaing Hills in 2007.
Fundamental Abhidhamma Part I
- By Dr. Nandamalabhivamsa
- First edition : June 1997
- Editor : Dr. Khin Maung U
- Myanmar-Buddhist Meditation Society, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Second, extended edition : January 2005
- revised : November 2005
- Center for Buddhist Studies (CBS), Sagaing Hills, Sagaing, Myanmar
The History of Abhidhamma
(1) Why is it called Abhidhamma?
(2) Who is the author?
(8) The role of Abhidhammattha sangaha
(9) The role of Vibhavani
(10) Ledi Sayadaw
(11) Paramatthadipani, the critic of Vibhavani
The Fundamental of Abhidhamma
Chapter 1 : Citta
Chapter 2 : Cetasika
Chapter 3 : Rup (Matter)
Chapter 4 : Pikinnaka (Miscellaneous)
Chapter 5 : Vithi : Mental Process
Fundamental Abhidhamma Part II
- By Dr. Nandamalabhivamsa
- Version Dec 2007
- Center for Buddhist Studies (CBS)
- Mahadubodhayon Monastery, Sagaing Hills, Sagaing, Myanmar
- Chapter 5 : Vithi
- Chapter 6 : Vithimutta
Passive Mental Process
- Chapter 7 : Paccayasangaha
Compendium of Causality
- Chapter 8 : Kammatthana Sangaha
- Literary Talk at San Francisco Bay Area
- Gave me her book “University of Our Time”
Nga Doh Khit Ka Tekkatho
- Rector, IMBTU
- Chief Resident Monk, Dhammananda Vihara
- Spiritual Director of several Monasteries and Meditation Centers in Myanmar, USA, Mexico
- Multi-lingual author
- Chief Compiler, Pali-Myanmar Abdhidhan
Handbook of Abhidhamma Studies
by Venerable Sayadaw U Silananda
Transcription by Sarah E Marks
- Pen name of U Win Pe
- Literary Critic
- Former member of Curriculum Committee in Burma
- Diploma in Library Science
- Met at Dr. Kyaw Tint’s house along with Tin Moe and Director Win Pe
(Speakers for the San Francisco Bay Area Literary Talks)
Bah Le He
- Maung Swan Yi (Win Pe)
Poet, Critic, Curriculum Development for Burmese
- Met him as Guest Speaker of the San Francisco Bay Area Literary Talks.
- Had small talk with him and Tin Moe as guests of Dr. Kyaw Tint.
- Pen name of U Ba Gyan
- Laureate Poet
- Received Distinction in Burmese (with Full marks for Essay) in Matriculation examination
- Passed away in Southern California
- Books were published in his memory
- Maung Ba Gyan passed the Matriculation examination with a distinction in Burmese.
- Received a perfect score of 25 for the Essay.
The essay was reprinted in the book by “Gon Htoo” Thein Naing (Burmese Honors).
- Sayagyis at Rangoon and Mandalay agreed that he was worthy of the then rare distinction in Burmese.
- Became known as a distinguished poet named Tin Moe.
- Received the National Literary Award for his collection of poems.
- Met him, Maung Swan Yi and Director Win Pe at the San Francisco Bay Area Literary Talks and at the house of Saya Dr. Kyaw Tint (Physics).
- Passed away in Southern California in 2007.
- Literary lovers published books in his memory.
- The first one was published one month after his demise.
- The second one was published six months after his demise.