In the early Weightlifting competitions, there were three categories:
- [Military] Press
- Clean and Jerk
In the later competitions, there are only two categories:
- Clean and Jerk.
- There is a medal for
each Catergory, and
the best Total.
- “Thiri Pyan Chi” U Zaw Weik competed in the 1936 Berlin Olympics as a member of the British India team. After Burma’s Independence, he founded the Burma Olympic Club.
- In the 1972 Munich Olympics, U Aung Gyi set an Olympic record in the Flyweight division.
Five Bala (Strength / Prowess)
- “Kayabala” (Physical Prowess) is one of the five Bala (strength).
It is complementary to
“Meiktabala” (Friendship), and
- Kayabala U Shein was manager and mentor of U Zaw Weik. Kayabala
- U Than Tun and others continued to help with weightlifters and body builders.
- The early Maung Bama (Mr. Burma) include
Bohmu Maung Maung,
U Ba Kun and
U Sein Maung.
- Saya Dr. Kyaw Sein (M65) headed and managed the RIT Weightlifting and Body Building team. RIT won trophies in the Inter-Institute Tournament.
- Ko Jimmy Kyin (T69), Ko Khin Win (EP69), Ko Than Htike (7x), Ko Thein Aung (Met72) … are some well-known Weightlifters and Body Builders.
- Ko Thein Aung won “Set Hmu Maung” (Mr. RIT) in 1968.