Thaing is a generic name for Burmese/Myanmar Martial Arts.
Thaing comprises of
- Bando (unarmed combat Thaing) and
- Banshay (armed combat Thaing).
There are various schools of Thaing.
One famous school was started by Saya U Pyi Thein. He is familiar with the other martial arts. He translated/adapted a book on selected martial arts around the world. An unconventional one is called “Naga Ngway Thaing” where the practitioner “emits” a “horrible” smell that can knock out people.
U Chit Than succeeded U Pyi Thein as head of their Thaing movement.
Some Thaing sayas are experts in other disciplines.
- U Po Kyaw Myint was a University Lecturer in Burmese.
His pen name is Myan Sar Gon Kyaw Myint.
- U Mya Thein is a lawyer.
He astarred in the movie “Thadin Kyut Tawt Myee” along side Jolly Swe.
- U San Maung taught Academy Nyunt Win for “Bando Lugalay Hnit Thuzar”.
He also performed stunt in several movies.
- Ko Min Din is a high school Luyechun.
He volunteered for the Thaing demos at YTU and other schools.
- Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt (M60) served as President of the RIT Thaing Association.
Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw (EC69) served as Joint Secretary.
- There is also a school called “Thaing Byaung Byan” (literally meaning “Reverse Thaing”).
- Dr. Khin Maung U had a leader of that movement as his patient.