RIT EE Sayas in the mid 1960s
- There were about 20 EE Sayas during out RIT days.
- Some sayas were on Deputation (studying abroad).
- 15 Sayas are seen in the Group Photo.
- Saya U Khine Oo was absent that day.
Article for Swel Daw Yeik Sar Saung
- I wrote an article for the Commemorative Issue of “Swel Daw Yeik Sar Saung” for SPZP-2010 held in Singapore.
- Tekkatho Moe War (Saya U Moe Aung) was Chief Editor and/ Publisher of the Sar Saung.
- Saya suggested the title “A Short and Sad Clip : EE Sayas“.
U Kyaw Tun
- Saya U Kyaw Tun graduated in 1948-49 and joined the EE Department.
- He is the most senior among the EE Sayas.
- He is a Saya of our Sayas.
- Saya taught EP students.
- Saya also taught “Principles of Electrical Engineering” to non-EE students.
- Saya recruited C Ping Lee to join the EE Department.
- Children : Elizabeth, Dorothy
C. Ping Lee
- Saya C Ping Lee was recruited by Saya U Kyaw Tun to join the EE Department.
- He taught Electrotechnology to the early engineering students including Dr. San Hla Aung.
- Per request from H.E. U Than Aung (his former Burmese teacher at St. Paul’s High School), Saya C Ping Lee transferred to head the Directorate of Technical Education and Vocational Training.
- Son : Dr. Win Aung (M62, NSF, iNEER)
Wrote about his father Saya C. Ping Lee for the “Count down to the Reunion” series for SPZP-2000.
U Sein Hlaing
- Saya U Sein Hlaing matriculated in 1946.
- He finished Top in his class of 52.
- He joined the EE Department as Assistant Lecturer.
- He studied MSEE at MIT.
He was a Top student at MIT.
- Upon his return, he was promoted to Lecturer and Head of the EE Department.
- He served as Professor until his retirement.
- Spouse : Nyunt Nyunt Yee
- Saya U Tin Swe matriculated in 1947.
- His name is misspelled or mispronounced as Tint Swe, Tin Shwe or Tin Shwe Gyi.
- He was a member of the Prome Hall Soccer team which won the Inter-Hall Trophy for three consecutive years.
- He joined the EE Department in 1953 as Assistant Lecturer.
- He studied MSEE at the University of Michigan.
- Upon his return, he was promoted to Lecturer.
- He taught and supervised EP students.
- Due to the scarcity of Professorship, he retired as Lecturer.
- He also played good tennis.
- He was an early Power User at the Universities’ Computer Center (UCC).
U Sein Win
- Saya U Sein Win studied his BSEE and MSEE at the University of Michigan.
- Technical Advisor for UCC
- President of the RIT Rowing and Swimming and Water Polo Clubs
- Line Judge at RUBC Regattas
- After the EE department was reorganized as EC and EP departments,
Saya served as Professor of Electrical Power Department at YTU.
- After retirement, he worked as a Consultant in the Industry.
- Children : daughters (Medical doctors)
- Brothers: Dr. Tin U, Dr, Saw Lwin
Dr. San Tint
- Saya Dr. San Tint joined the EE Faculty (which was renamed BIT) after graduation in 1961.
- Studied for C.Sc. in the USSR
- Post graduate training in UK (for the UCC project)
- Played soccer for the RIT Saya team.
- External Examiner for UCC
- Saya retired as Professor of EC (Electronic Engineering) Department at YTU.
- His former students performed Pyinnya Dana in Saya’s memory.
- Nephew : Hlaing Myint
U Chin Way
- Saya U Chin Way was active in SPARK.
- He migrated to the USA.
- Grapevine says that he interviewed for a job in Los Angeles. When the interviewers found out that their boss U Tun Aung (Jeffrey, EC68) was a former student of Saya U Chin Way, no serious questions were asked.
U Soe Min
- Saya U Soe Min went for training in the UK with the DCS grant / scholarship.
- Upon his return, he transferred to DCA.
- Win Boh (Robert, EC69, DCA) served as a best man at Saya’s wedding.
U Thein Lwin
- At the time of the writing the article (in 2010), Saya U Thein Lwin was a retiree of Singapore Polytechnic, but was active helping students desiring to pursue studies in Singapore.
- He was President of the RIT Badminton Club.
He managed the RIT team comprising of Sai Kham Pan (EP69), which won the Inter-Institute Trophy.
- Spouse : May Than Nwe (Joyce, RIT Physics)
- Brothers : Myo Myint, Kyi Lwin, Tint Lwin, Thet Lwin
- Daughter : Business Professor in Singapore (former Swimming Champion)
- Saya and Sayama passed away within a few months of each other.
U Soe Paing
- Saya U Soe Paing (SPHS56) won the Collegiate Scholarship in 1956 for standing 17th in the whole of Burma.
- He won two Gold Medals for the I.Sc. examinations.
He scored the highest marks for examinations.
He was Joint winner for scoring the highest marks in Mathematics in the examinations.
- Studied BSEE and MSEE at Stanford University
- Joined EE Department as Assistant Lecturer
- He helped Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe found UCC along with Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF).
- Transferred to UCC as Systems Manager.
- Studied M.Sc. (Computer Sciencr) at Southampton University in the UK
- Saya was my mentor at RIT and UCC.
- He retired from UN after managing IT projects at various countries
- He wrote about his experiences as a States Scholar, as Systems Manager at UCC and as UN Technical Advisor.
- Spends his retirement visiting UK and USA, playing golf and practicing vipassana meditation at Kaba Aye Sunlun Gu Kyaung where his younger brother U Wara (U Win Paing, ChE70) is the Sayadaw.
- Saya had operations for his heart and his back problems, but he is still active.
- Spouse : Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69)
- Children : Thura, Akari, Threin
Dr. Win Tin
- Saya Dr. Win Tin was active in SPARK and as an entrepreneur.
- Studied for his doctorate in France.
- Associate Dean of Engineering at Assumption University (formerly known as ABAC).
- One page is missing during the scan of the article.
U Ba Myint
- Saya U Ba Myint taught “Electrical Measurement” during our RIT days.
- Retired as Pro-Rector of YTU.
U Sein Maung
- Saya U Sein Maung taught “Electrical Machines” during our RIT days.
- Taught at Assumption University.
- Saya attended SPZP-2000 at the invitation of Daw Khin Htar Yee (Lily Win, T72).
U Nyi Nyi
- Saya U Nyi Nyi introduced Saya U Soe Paing to Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe who was planning to found UCC.
- Saya went to the UK for his graduate studies.
U Myo Kyi
- Saya U Myo Kyi joined the EE Department after graduation in 1959.
- He and Dr. Ba Lwin are the two most seniors among the EE sayas who are still alive.
- He taught “Principles of Electrical Engineering” to the early non-EE students.
- Met him at the meetings in Yangon
- Saya is a Patron / Advisor of Alumni Association and MES
- He gave me a list of the Senior and Junior EE Sayas and Sayamas.
Dr. Ba Lwin
- Saya Dr. Ba Lwin joined the EE Department after graduation in 1959.
- He and U Myo Kyi are the two most seniors among the EE sayas who are still alive.
- Met him during his visit to the USA to see his daughter Thiri Lwin.
- Spouse : Sister of Khin Maung Latt and Khin Maung Lay
U Moe Aung
- Saya U Moe Aung joined the EE Department with several of his classmates after graduation in 1963.
- Editor of RUESU Annual Magazine
- Chief Editor of “Hlyat Sit Sar Saung”
- He chaired SPZP-2002 and SPZP-2010 in Singapore
- Saya and his team published the commemorative issue of “Swel Daw Yeik Sar Saung” for SPZP-2002, SPZP-2007 and SPZP-2010.
- After retirement, Saya moved back to Yangon.
- Patron of SDYF and several RIT-related activities
- Laureate Poet.
- Saya is active writing poems (often “Let Tann”) and articles (mostly on EE).
- Saya published two books and co-authored several books.
- I translated some of Saya’s poems and articles.
U Khine Oo
- Saya U Khine Oo was absent in the group photo taken around mid-1966.
- Saya took some computer courses before going to Japan as States Scholar.
U Tin Shwe
- Saya U Tin Shwe (EP66) joined EE Department after graduation in 1966
- Taught and RIT and ABAC
- Wrote an article about his final year days in the commemorative issue of “Swel Daw Yeik Sar Saung” for SPZP-2010.
- Became a monk, and served as Dhamma Librarian.
- Sadly, he passed away. Saya U Moe Aung wrote “To the Shwe Duo” in the memory of Saya U Tin Shwe and Saya U Hla Shwe (T69).
I translated Saya’s poem and published in my RIT Alumni International Newsletter and Updates.
Daw Mya Mya Than
- Daw Mya Mya Than (EP68) joined the EE Department as EE Sayama.
U Than Lwin
- U Than Lwin (Henry, EC69) was my classmate.
- See “We Eleven” for details of the EC69 classmates
- He joined the EE Department as an EE saya.
Some Junior EE Sayas and Sayamas
- U Kyaw Naing (Sin Gwan, EC70, GBNF)
- U Tin Win (EC71)
- U Ko Ko Kyi (EC72)
- Daw Nyunt Nyunt Yee (EP72)
- Daw Khin Swe Oo (EC74)
Dr. Freddie Ba Hli
- Received Sc.D from MIT
- He helped Dr. Aung Gyi and U Min Wun adjust to the MIT environment
- Taught part-time at EE Department
- Director General, UBARI
- Advisor, National Planning
- Board Member, UCC
U Htin Paw
- Saya U Htin Paw (EE58, GBNF) joined the EE Department after graduation in 1958.
- He won two Gold Medals.
- He studied MSEE at the University of Michigan (with the Scholarship provided by UBARI).
- Upon his return, he worked for UBARI before transferring to Electrical Inspectorate.
- He moved to USA.
- Founder and President, BEA
- Past President, TBSA
- He attended SPZP-2000.
- Spouse : Eileen
- Son : Dr. Barry Paw
U Ba Nyunt
- Saya U Ba Nyunt (EE58) joined the EE Department after graduation in 1958.
- He did graduate studies in the US.
- Upon return, he transferred to MOC (MOGE).
- He attended SPZP-2000.
At that time, he was visiting his daughter and grandchild.
- Spouse : May Su
U Thein Tan
- Need info (when he joined and his teaching / tutorial / lab role)
- Electrical Inspector
- Chief Engineer (EPC)
Photos from some PZPs
- The EP / EC of selected batches have hosted Saya Pu Zaw Pwes.
- A sampling is provided below.
Categories: Rangoon Institute of Technology