- In 2015, Ivan Lee (M69) invited us to stay at his home in New Jersey.
Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi and Ma Ma Emma were also invited to spend a few days before going back to Canada.
- It was fun to have conversation with Sayagyi and Ivan.
Ivan had an expensive hearing aid, but he did not use it.
So, several questions and answers had to be repeated.
- Ivan took us to selected places in New Jersey and New York.
- We saw a victory parade of the victorious US women soccer team.
- Ivan hosted the RIT-UCC gathering at his house.
- Ivan asked Fred Thetgyi to join us in the whirl wind tour of Canada and US East Coast.
Ivan provided his car (Mercedes) and gas for the trip.
Fred drove most of the trip.
- We stopped at Buffalo and Niagara before heading to Windsor.
Visit to Canada
- We arrived at the house of Sayagyi U Aung Khin a few hours late.
Sayagyi was calm and smiling.
We had a brief conversation before Ivan and Fred left for a nearby hotel.
Sayagyi graciously let my spouse and I spend the night in his guest room.
- Sayagyi prepared Mohinga and Ah Kyaw for breakfast for all of us.
- We paid respect to Sayagyi.
- He asked us to choose a souvenir from Windsor.
- We then went to Ontario, but did not have the time to visit Saya Des.
- We drove around and headed to Napean (in Ottawa Province) to visit Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi and Ma Ma Emma.
- Sayagyi again shared his memories and jokes.
- We all stayed at Sayagyi’s house.
- Sayagyi showed us around Ottawa and then took us to a Thousand Islands for a boat trip.
- On the way back, we visited Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw (EC69) and Ma Khin Maw Maw in Massachusetts.
- They live about 50 miles from Boston.
- Since they were renovating their house, they put us up at a hotel.
- We visited MIT, Harvard and selected places in the area.
- The next leg took us to Trumbull, Connecticut. Ko Toung (EC69) and Ma Khin Myint hosted us.
- They took us to see Yale and a restaurant where Bill Clinton used to hang out.
Rest of the Stay
- Then, it was “Home Sweet Home” for Ivan.
- Fred later took us to see his second sister in Philadelphia.
Sad to note that Ma Kathleen passed away recently in November, 2021.
- We stayed at Freds’s house.
- Fred showed us around.
We bought souvenir coins from Liberty Bell.
- Fred drove us to Maryland to see my lone remaining uncle.
- Then, we headed back to New Jersey.
Thanks to our hosts for the memorable trip
- Sayagyi U Aung Khin
- Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi
- U TAG
- Ko Toung