- U Ba Than was my saya at RIT. He would give me a ride to RIT in his white Zephyer.
- Many thought that U Ba Than was my uncle.
- He is my cousin.
- In fact, he is my Double First Cousin.
- Saya’s father is the elder brother of my mother.
- Saya’s mother is the elder sister of my father.
- He was a strict teacher. I never received hints or clues from him. I would not even know whether I did well in his subject until I received the official transcript.
- Saya U Tin U (C) is the oldest of the nine siblings. He will celebrate his 90th birthday on August 3, 2019.
- Saya U Ba Than is the second of nine siblings. He will celebrate his 89th birthday on October 2, 2019.
- The younger siblings are Dr. Daw Win Hlaing (Ruby), Daw Myint Thwe (Betty), Dr. Myo Tint, U Tin Htoon (A60), Saya U Myo Min (UCC), U Thaung Lwin (EC66) and Daw Cho Cho Hlaing.
- Saya’s father, mother, spouse and daughter are GBNF.
- Saya is spending quality time with his son, daughter-in-law, grand son and grand daughter.
U Ba Than’s Wedding
Saya U Ba Than’s brief bio
- Saya attended St. John’s Diocesan Boys High School and won the Collegiate Scholarship in 1947.
- He won the Gold Medal for placing first among the I.Sc. and all Intermediate students in 1948 and 1949.
- He studied Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College, University of London.
- Upon his return to Burma, he joined the Faculty of Engineering as Assistant Lecturer.
- As a requirement for promotion, he studied Masters at Imperial College, University of London.
- Upon his return, he became Lecturer.
- He succeeded Saya U Aung Khin as Head of the Mechanical Engineering Department.
- He served as Professor until retirement.
- Per request from Saya Dr. Maung Maung Kha (then Interim Dean, Faculty of Engineering), he volunteered as Advisor to the Engineering Library.
- He taught “Strength of Materials” for most years, and “Engineering Mechanics” for a few years.
- He was an early supporter of the HMEE (History of Myanmar Engineering Education) project and hosted several HMEE meetings at Winner Inn (run by his son, daughter-in-law and grand children). He provided precious photos from his albums for display at MES and for inclusion in the HMEE book. He also arranged with Saya U Thaw Kaung (former Chief Librarian of Rangoon University Central Library) to give access of the Library Archives to Saya U Soe Paing (EE, UCC) and his team. Saya U Soe Paing and team scanned old magazines and documents. Saya U Soe Paing also prepared an initial summary of his findings and handed over to Saya U Aung Hla Tun and team.
- Saya celebrated his birthdays by offering soon to the sayadaws at selected monasteries and inviting his former colleagues and students to the soon kyway.
- He had a special celebration for his 78th birthday which fell on a Thursday. Per request from his grand children, saya wrote memoirs and shared them with the attendees of birthday gathering.
- Saya will turn 79 on October 2, 2019.
Classmates from 1941
Saya Dr. San Hla Aung
Garawa by former students
Garawa by M75
Garawa by M69
Medical checkup and treatment in Singapore
Categories: Rangoon Institute of Technology