- Saya U San Tun (Sain Fone Wong) graduated with B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Rangoon in 1959. He passed with distinctions in all subjects. He was awarded two Gold Medals. At the convocation, he met Dorothy Tham (a female Gold Medalist from a different faculty). They became friends and later tied the knot.
- He joined the Mechanical Engineering Department as an Assistant Lecturer.
- He was awarded a States Scholarship to pursue graduate studies at MIT, USA. He received MSME (Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering) from MIT, USA in 1962.
- Upon his return, he taught at BIT and also served as a Hall Tutor.
- He was promoted to Lecturer in 1964. He headed the Automobile Engineering Sub-department of the Mechanical Engineering.
- He relocated to California, USA in 1968.
- From 1968 – 1974 he worked as a Contract Engineer, Cone Company, Burlingame, California
- 1974 – 1999 Bechtel Corporation, San Francisco, California (Retired in August 1999 after 25 years service).
- Saya served as President of BEA. He succeeded Saya U Htin Paw (EE58, GBNF)
Saya is the uncle of
(a) U Thein Lwin (Joe Chow, EC67)’s spouse
(b) U Myint Lwin (Charles Cheah, Burma Judo Champion)’s spouse
Saya is related by marriage to
(a) Saya U Kyi Kong Tham
(b) Mother of Maurice Chee (M75)
Trips and Gatherings
- Saya U San Tun accompanied Saya U Aung Khin on a trip to China where Saya U Kyaw Myint (Auto64) was working for UN.
- Saya invited me to (a) his birthday party (b) his son’s wedding reception.
- Saya attended BAPS gatherings and RIT-related gatherings in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Categories: S T U