- Saya matriculated from St. Paul’s High School in 1957.
His Burmese teacher was Saya Sein (father of Saya Dr. Soe Win).
- Saya taught Burmese at the Institute of Economics.
At the Golden Jubilee of the University of Rangoon, he served as Secretary of the Committee headed by Saya Dr. Aung Gyi (Professor of Civil Engineering, RIT).
- Dr. Aung Gyi succeeded U Yone Moe as Rector of RIT.
There was a vacancy for Registrar.
Rector of the Institute of Economics told U Thet Lwin to apply for the position, and also gave him a strong recommendation.
The “Pathan Set” resulted in a reunion of the two sayas who volunteered together at the RU Golden Jubilee.
- Saya retired as Director from DHE.
Ah Nu Pyinnya Shin
- Saya is a writer, a pianist and a composer
Pen name : Maung Ngwe Hlinne
- Recorded Dat Pyas at Myanmar Ah Than (BBS) including the classic “Mya Kyun Nyo Nyo Kun Yeik Kho”.
Received 100 kyats for each composition, but he would spend the money together with his fellow Ah NU Pyinnya Shins.
Mya Kyun Nyo
- There are musical videos of the song “Mya Kyun Nyo Nyo” being performed at SPZP (Saya Pu Zaw Pwe)
- The song was also sung at the ceremony to kick off the RU Centennial Celebrations in December, 2019.
- Saya has written an account of how the song was perceived and recorded.
- A few years back, Saya was interviewed for a TV program.
Played the song accompanied by former RIT Ah Nu Pyinna Shins such as U Than Po.
- Saya retired as Director from DHE (Directorate of Higher Education).
- He is the maternal uncle of U Sein Tin (EC75, Sydney, Australia).
U Aung Myaing (ChE72) wrote :
Well, this post reminded me of having dinner ( if I remember correctly) at Ko Sein Tin’s home around 1981.
While doing MEngSc at Melbourne University, I happened to be in Sydney to attend a seminar. I didn’t know him and he didn’t know me either. But because Sayar U Thet Lwin gave me his contact phone , we got connected.
Out of various topics we talked, I still remember how much bitter he was about earning 3 Kyats and 15 pyas per day as an apprentice engineer.
In fact, now is worse. Ko Sein Tin may have his hair stand to see the job opening advertisements asking engineering graduates for clerks and even drivers.
Categories: U - Z