- Paritta is usually rendered as “Protective Verse”.
- Hanthawaddy and Thudhammawaddy published early Paritta texts edited by Pali experts (e.g. Saya Phyay, U Pan Maung).
- The Ministry of Religious Affairs published the standard version of 11 Pairtta Suttas, and the comprehensive version of 30+ Suttas (including the 11 Paritta Suttas).
- The Suttas were approved/re-affirmed at the Sixth Buddhist Council.
Pali and Translation
- Paritta texts with Pali and English translation were compiled and /or edited by Sayadaw U Silananda and Sao Htun Hmat Win.
- Paritta texts with Pali and Burmese/Myanmar translation were compiled/edited by Sayadaw U Ayethaka, Dhammacariya U Soe Win, and Dhammacariya U Kyaw Lin.
- Comprehensive treatment of Paritta had been done by Thabyekan Sayadaw, and Sayadaw U Jotilankara.
- Used to own a copy of a Pariita (Burmese and Mon version) given by the Dat Paung Zone Aung Min Gaung Sayadaw U Thilawunta.
- Based on the Mon manuscripts. One difference is in the “last” Sutta.
The Mon version has two major sections:
one for chanting in the morning and
one for chanting in the evening/night.
Schedule for Recitation
- Customary for the Burmese Buddhist monks to recite all the 11 Suttas daily.
- A recommendation for the lay people is to break up the 11 Suttas into seven groups, and chant a group per day.
- The 11 Suttas will then be covered every week.
- The Paritta verses by the various Sayadaws
Mingun Tipitaka Sayadaw,
Taung Tan Thatanapyu Sayadaw,
Kyar Ni Kan Sayadaw,
Aung San Tat Oo Sayadaw,
Las Vegas Sayadaw U Zeya)
are available as CDs.
- Some (if not all) can be found at dhamma web sites such as dhammadownload.com and nibanna.com.
- YouTube has a collection of Paritta recited by Myanmar, Sri Lankan, and Thai monks.
Forms of Pali
- Pali is rendered in Romanized form (for international use) and in native versions (Myanmar, Sinhali, Thai, …).
Lay people and most monks in Myanmar will say “Git sar mi”.
Lay people and most (if not all) monks from Sri Lanka and Thai will say “gacchami”.
Categories: P - T