- Deep is an Indian word meaning Light.
The extended meaning is Wisdom.
- Several Indian names have “Deep” (e.g. Deepak).
- Deepavali is the Indian Festival of Lights.
Some call it Diwali.
During our younger days, some Hindu friends would give us Indian sweets as part of their Diwali celebrations.
- We express the depth of a physical object or an idea as “Deep” or “Shallow“.
- In computer applications, we use “Deep copy” of “Shallow copy” of objects.
Deep Thought (CMU)
- Deep Thought was a Chess Machine (hardware and software) developed by Ph.D. students at CMU (Carnegie Mellon University).
- One Ph.D. student designed and implemented a special purpose chip to implement multi-ply search.
- Two Ph.D. students, who are Chess experts, designed and implemented the algorithms to play championship level chess.
- Two more Ph.D. students provided feedback and assistance.
- Deep Thought beat the competitors to become World Computer Chess Champion.
Deep Blue (IBM)
- IBM (International Business Machines) recruited the three of the five Ph.D. graduates (who worked on Deep Thought) to develop Deep Blue and challenge Gary Kasparov (World Chess Champion) to a Best-of-five match.
- Kasparov prevailed in the first encounter, but made a costly error — a prime example of “To err is human” — to lose in the second encounter.
- IBM made intensive preparations.
It hired several Grand Masters for studying Kasparov’s games and techniques.
- Deep Learning is an advanced form of Machine Learning.
- It has become a core subject in AI (Artificial Intelligence) courses.
- There are numerous studies about Sleep and Insomnia.
- Most people need about seven hours sleep.
- Sleeping more than eight hours may be detrimental to one’s well being.
- The quality of sleep (e.g. Deep sleep) is important.
Categories: A - E