U Tin Swe (GBNF)
- Power User at UCC.
Supervised Ko Aung Kyaw Pe (EP69) for his Master’s thesis.
Worked on Power Distribution & Analysis programs
Collaborated with former students including Dr. San Oo (EP67).
- Wrongly called as U Tint Swe, U Tin Shwe and U Tin Shwe Gyi
- Brother : U Nan Wai (famous Painter)
- Member of the Prome Hall Football (Soccer) team which won the Inter-Hall Soccer Tournament for three consecutive years.
- Played Tennis
- Graduated with EE in 1953.
- MS from University of Michigan studies in the USA.
- Upon his return, he became a Lecturer.
- In the early days, there were few Professorships.
Passed away before the creation of EC and EP Departments.
Saya Allen Htay (GBNF)
- Saya Allen Htay (C58) joined the Faculty of Engineering, Rangoon University as an Assistant Lecturer.
- Masters from Harvard University.
On the return journey by an ocean liner, he played Bridge with Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt and Saya U Ko Ko Lay. They became close friends.
- Loves RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) and Scheme (Lexically scoped LISP).
- Supervised the Final Year Thesis for U Kyaw Thu (Dennis Mackey, C73) and George Peters.
Program for the Thesis was run on ICL1902S Computer at UCC.
U Myint Sein (GBNF)
- Attended PPBRS (Private Primary Boundary Road School), SPHS (St. Paul’s High School) and IE (Institute of Economics)
- Cousin : U Nyunt Tin (M70, RIT Table Tennis)
- Served as Principal of BARB (Burma Astro Research Bureau).
- Taught Medical Astrology at the School of Indigenous Medicine (Taing Yin Saya Pyinnya) in Mandalay.
- Later founded “Idea Astrology”.
- He is my childhood friend.
As Principal at BARB, he asked me if I can help him to speed up some Veda processes (e.g. generation of a Natal Horoscope).
I assigned two students Ko Win Latt and Ko Zaw Tun to develop computer programs for the Veda projects.
- He is GBNF.
It was good news and bad news for his son, who was back in Yangon to take examination for Master Mariner.
He lost his father, but was present at his father’s last journey.
Ko Win Latt
Ko Win Latt owned a computer and was also an excellent programmer. Under my supervision and with the guidance of U Myint Sein, Ko Win Latt came up with three versions. He named then WinHoro V3, V6 and V9.
V3 produces the “basic” horoscope with Yathi (Rasi), Bawa and Nawin (Navamsa). It is also known as “Tri Cekka Zatar” referring to the three parts. It takes some time (a few minutes to an hour) if done manually.
V6 produces a “better” horoscope.
V9 produces the “best” horoscope.
WinHoro was implemented using BASIC.
He worked in Myanmar, Nepal, Singapore and Thailand.
Ko Zaw Tun
One needs expert knowledge to “interpret” a Zartar. Ko Zaw Tun used Prolog (language for Logic Programming) to implement the Bedin Rules. He tested his program with several sets of data. He was surprised when his program said that “the Two Year Old is a rich person (possibly a Millionaire)”. He thought that there must be a bug. It turned out that the Two Year Old is the grand son of a wealthy Sawbwa, who decided that his grand son should inherit his wealth.
He worked in Myanmar and Singapore
U San Myint Thane (Sammy, EC79)
Sammy asked his brother Dr. Thein Toe Thane in the USA to send him some books and a Microprocessor tool kit for use in his Final Year Project. Sammy and Kelvin used the microprocessor tool kit and ran demo on the assembled microprocessor.
Sammy spent some time at UCC while waiting to migrate to the USA.
- The concept of Duality can be found in Mathematics and Logic.
- The “Line-Point Duality” says that “Two intersecting lines determine a point. Two points determine a line [which passes through both]”. In this Geometric aspect, Line and Point are duals.
- De Morgan’s Theorems in “Set Theory” and “Boolean Algebra” are duals.
- The book by Klingman discussed “Hardware Software Duality”. He said that “Any hardware can be implemented in software. Any software can be implemented in hardware.”
- There are trade-offs to consider whether to use hardware, software, firmware or a combination.
Great Expectations and Relaxation Techniques
Sammy’s mother wanted Sammy to get married and was willing to find suitable candidates, but Sammy set the requirements too high. She must be young, intelligent, and able to play Classical and Modern music.
Finally, by applying some “Relaxation Techniques”, Sammy became a loving spouse and a caring father of twins.
Charlie Tseng (EC70)
- Saya U Soe Paing had recruited him, but he managed to migrate to the USA before the UCC employees were “selected and validated” by PSC (Public Services Commission).
- Formed a company called VersaSoft (somewhat similar to the D-Base software).
- Spouse : Diana (ChE71) is a Chemical Engineer and worked as Manager of a Division of IBM (International Business Machines).
- Pays respect to Saya U Soe Paing whenever Saya visits the San Francisco Bay Area.
There are several who volunteered and/or worked for the UCC project. They include
- U Sein Tin (moved to Australia)
- U Khin Maung Zaw (moved to Singapore and US)
- U Wynn Myint Aung (moved to US)
- Lucas Lee (Sein Tun, moved to US)
- U Myint Oo (Later worked at Phaung Gyi Thin Dan)
- U Tauk Tun (Mickey)
- U Ba Than Aye (Myo Myint Lay, GBNF) joined the Army and died in a car accident
Categories: UCC Memories