Three Generation of Engineers
- He is the only child of Sayagyi U Ba Hli, the first native Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Rangoon University.
Sayagyi U Ba Hli also taught as Professor of Civil Engineering at GTI and at the Faculty of Engineering.
Sayagyi U Ba Hli is credited for proposing and implementing he “Twinning Program” between the Faculty of Engineering, Rangoon University and prestigious US universities.
- Saya Dr. Freddie Ba Hli received Sc. D (Doctorate of Science) from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
He helped Saya Dr. Aung Gyi and Saya U Min Wun, who were chosen to do undergraduate studies at MIT under “Twinning Program”.
- Spouse :
Daw Myint Thwe (sister of Saya U Tin U and Saya U Ba Than)
- Children :
Daw Tin Tin Hlaing (UCC, spouse of U Htay Aung (Victor, EC80),
U Tha Hlaing (EC 83)
and Min Thet Tun (Po Htoo, GBNF)
- Per request from Saya U Aung Khin, he wrote an article about his beloved father in the commemorative issue of RIT Alumni International Newsletter for SPZP-2000 (First RIT Grand Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe held in San Francisco, California, USA in October 2000.)
Service in Burma
- Upon his return to Burma, Dr. F. Ba Hli taught part-time at the Electrical Engineering Department.
- Served as Acting Director of Burma Atomic Energy Commission and as Director General of Union Of Burma Applied Research Institute (UBARI)
- Transferred to Ministry of National Planning as National Advisor.
- Supported the UCC Project and served as a member of the UCC Board of Management and as External Examiner.
Post-retirement in Australia
- After retirement, he moved to Australia
- Celebrated his 93rd birthday on June 28, 2015
- Had a heart attack on June 30,2015 and was taken to West Mead Hospital.
- Passed away at 3 AM (Australian Standard Time) On July 1, 2015.
Messages of Condolence
From Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi
Ko Hla Min,
I am very sad to know that Dr F. Ba Hli has passed away recently.
As I have mentioned before in my contributing article to the History of Engineering Education in Myanmar, Dr Ba Hli was one of the nicest persons that I had the privilege of knowing in my life. He was helpful in every way to me and U Min Wun so that we were able to adapt successfully to our studies at MIT.
I send my heartfelt condolences to his family.
From Saya U Soe Paing
Please convey our condolences to Daw Myint Thwe, Htay Aung, Tin Tin
Hlaing and the family of Saya Freddie Ba Hli.
Dr. Ba Hli was an active member of the UCC Board of Management
From Association of Myanmar Engineers in Australia
Funeral program details of Dr. F Ba Hli are as follow:
- 6 July 2015 Monday
- 3:00 pm
- Castlebrook Memorial Park Cemetery, Windsor Rd, Rouse Hill NSW 2155, (02) 9629 1477
As per family’s request: it would be greatly appreciated if you wish to contribute donations toward ‘Heart Foundation’ instead of memorial/sympathy flowers.
Categories: UCC GBNF