Firsts in Burma
President of the Union of Burma
- There were Three Presidents in the Union of Burma.
- Sao Shwe Thaik served as the first President of the Union of Burma.
Burma gained Independence on January 4, 1948.
- He was succeeded by Dr. Ba U and Mahn Win Maung.
- Coup d’etat took place on March 2, 1962 before Sama Duwa Sinwa Naung could take office.
- Sao Shwe Thaik’s son (Mie Mie Thaik) passed away during the Coup.
Prime Minister of the Union of Burma
- There were five Prime Ministers in the Union of Burma.
U Nu (formerly known as Thakin Nu) was Prime Minister three times.
- U Nu served as the first Prime Minister of the Union of Burma.
- He was also the Third Prime Minister (after a Sabbatical in which Dawei U Ba Swe served as Second Prime Minister)
- Bo Ne Win became the Fourth Prime Minister after the Soft Coup in 1958.
- U Nu became the Fifth and Last Prime Minister before the fateful Coup d’etat on March 2, 1962.
Medical doctor to study medicine in the West
- Dr. Shaw Loo was the first doctor to study medicine in the USA.
Compilers of the English-Burmese Dictionary
- Mekkhaya Mintha (Prince) & Mr. Lane translated Dr. Samuel Johnson’s Dictionary into Burmese.
- Subsequent Lexicographers include Dr. Judson, U Tun Nyein, Dr. Ba Han and U Ohn Pe (Tet Toe).
Science and Technology Author
- Yaw Mingyi U Pho Hlaing was the first Burmese author to write about Science and Technology.
Ahmyotha Kaw Leik (National College) Graduate
- U Razak was the first to graduate from Ah Myo Tha Kaw Leik.
- Served as Principal of the Ah Myo Tha Kyaung (National School) in Mandalay.
- Minister of Education in Bogyoke Aung San’s Cabinet.
- Assassinated on July 19, 1947.
- Phan Chet Wun U Shwe Oh was the first Burmese engineer.
- Sayadaw U Ottama was the first Political Prisoner (Prisoner of Conscience) in Burma.
“U Ottama Pan Chan” is a park named in his honor.
- Sayadaw U Wisara was another famous Political Prisoner.
“U Wisara Kyauk Taing” was erected in his honor.
Social Service Performer
- Phwa Oo Zun (Mandalay native) was the first Burmese female to perform Social Service for the public.
- Established the Home for the Aged.
- Details can be found in Ludu Daw Ah Mar’s book “Mandalay Thar & Mandalay Thu”.
- U Nyi Pu was the First leading male actor in a Burmese movie.
- Siblings : Daw Khin Myint, A1 U Tin Nwe, U Maung Maung Soe (U Tin Pe) and A1 U Tin Maung
- The siblings and their extended families founded several film companies.
- U Nyi Pu founded Maha Weikzahto Film.
The “Thamankyaw” movie was shot and produced at U Nyi Pu’s studio.
A1 Than Htut and A1 Thein Htut directed the movie based on the script by Than Win (T70).
Actors : Toe Nyunt, Ko Myint (Aung Myint, Min71) and Sai Wunna.
Producer and director
- London Art U Ohn Maung founded a company to produce Burmese films
- Served as Director.
Best Male Actor
- Kyaw Soe won the inaugural award for Best Male Actor.
- The awards were known as “Shwe Sin Yoke Su”.
- The winners prefix their names with “Academy”.
Best Female Actor
- Kyi Kyi Htay won the inaugural award for the Best Female Actor.
- Won the award several more times.
Best Child Actor
- Aung Tun Lay won the inaugural award for the Best Child Actor.
Best Male Supporting Actor
- U Kyauk Lone (U Aung Gyi) won the inaugural award for the Best Male Supporting Actor.
- Son : Sway Tin (Kyauk Pyar)
Best Female Supporting Actor
- Daw May Nwe won the inaugural award for the Best Female Supporting Actor.
- U Thu Kha won the inaugural award for the Best Director.
- Also wrote, acted and sang.
- My translation “Still So Young” of U Thu Kha’s short story was published in the Sunday Supplement of Working People’s Daily.
I received K50 for the translation.
U Thu Kha received an honorarium of K50 for his short story.
Overseas Tour by Saing Saya
- Sein Beda was the first Saing Saya to perform overseas.
- James Hla Kyaw wrote the first Burmese novel “Maung Yin Maung Ma Mae Ma”.
- Independent Daw San was the first Burmese female Journalist.
Lecturer at RU English Department
- Dr. Ba Maw was the first Burmese lecturer at the Department of English at the University of Rangoon.
- Later became Adhipati during the Japanese Occupation.
- U Pe Maung Tin was the first Principal of the University of Rangoon.
- Professor of Oriental Studies (including Pali).
- Proposed to have a separate Department for Burmese.
- Three outstanding students — ICS U Sein Tin (Theikpan Maung Wa), U Thein Han (Zawgyi) and U Wun (Minthuwun) — founded the “Khit San Sar Pay” movement.
- Dr. Htin Aung was the First native Rector of the University of Rangoon
- Vice-Chancellor, RU
- Ambassador to Ceylon
- Author, Historian, Folklorist
Stereo Khit (Era)
- Tekkatho Tun Naung (BDS, Luyechun) was the first vocalist of the Stereo Khit (Era).
- Others include Accordion Ohn Kyaw and Min Min Latt.
- Former performers of BBS Local Talent and Variety Show also became professionals.
- Mee Bone Byan U Kyaw Yin was the first aerial acrobat to perform stunts from a Hot Air Balloon.
- He was featured in a text book that we studied in Middle School.
- Son : Cartoonist U Kyaw San [Ka Sa]
- U Kyi constructed the first robot.
- Great Po Sein founded the first Nei Hlei Zat Tha Bin (roving troupe for performing plays).
- Sons : Kenneth Sein and Thet Thet Sein also performed
Chief Justice of High Court
- Dr. Mya Sir Bu studied in France and Germany
- Served as the first Burmese Chief Justice of High Court.
Atomic Energy Commission
- Dr. Tin Hlaing founded the Department of Atomic Energy
- Served as the first Director General.
- U Ba Galay (U Shwe Ta Lay) was the first Burmese Cartoonist.
- Sithu U Kaung served as the first President of Burmese History Commission.
- Children : U Thaw Kaung, Dr. Yee May Kaung and Daw Kyi May Kaung.
- The History Commission was later merged with the Burmese Language Commission.
Computer Systems and Applications
- Dr Chit Swe is the Computer Pioneer in Burma.
- Saya founded the Universities’ Computer Center (UCC) with the help of Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF) and served as the Founding Director
- Saya established the academic and training courses at UCC with the help of Professor Dr. Harry D. Huskey (Past ACM President) and visiting professors from US, UK and Europe.
- Enabled the academic courses at UCC to have degrees conferred by the Department of Mathematics at Rector of Rangoon Arts and Science University.
- Became Rector of RASU.
He never lost his passion about UCC and the dissemination of Computer Science and Applications.
- Dr. Chit Swe was succeeded as Director of UCC by Dr. Tin Maung (Mathematics Lecturer at RASU).
- During Dr. Tin Maung’s tenure, the Department of Computer Science (DCS) and the Institute of Computer Science and Technology (ICST) were established.
- U Tun Aung Gyaw (EC69) and I were members of “Generation Zero” at UCC.
We taught at UCC, DCS and ICST.
President of Burma Students’ Union (Ba Ka Tha)
- U Raschid (also known as M. A. Raschid) served as the first President of Ba Ka Tha (All Burma Students’ Union).
He was also President of Ta Ka Tha (Rangoon University Students’ Union)
- Served as a Minister in the AFPFL Government.
- Son : Saya Bilal Raschid (Architecture)
- Chit Oo Nyo, a prolific writer, wrote the first book on how to play “Kyar” (Checkers).
Distinguished Social Service
- Hajeema Pyinmana Daw Pu was the first female to win Lu Hmu Htoo Chun Su Pathama Sint (First Class for Distinguished Social Service).
- Donated for the founding of some hospitals.
- Son-in-law : Saya U Ba Than Haq (Retired Professor of Geology and Pro-Rector of RASU)
Florence Nightingale Award
- Major Daw Khin Ohn Mya was the first recipient of the Florence Nightingale Award [for outstanding Nursing].
- Pen name : Mya Marlar
- U Win Myint (Mandalay) was the first Burmese to donate his body.
United Nations Secretary General
- U Thant succeeded Daj Hammerjold as UNSG (United Nations Secretary General).
- He was the Third UNSG and the First Asian UNSG
- Served two terms
- Passed away in 1974
- “U Thant Ah Yay Ah Khin” (In December 1974) is a sad event in the history of Burma.
- Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was the first Burmese to receive the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize.
Entries in Myanmar were compiled by Saya Minthuwun (U Wun)
- Retired Professor of Burmese at Rangoon University
- Head of the RU Translation Department
- Compiler of the Myanmar Abhidan (Burmese Dictionary)
- Co-compiler of the Japanese-Burmese Dictionary
- Visiting Professor of Burmese at Osaka University at the invitation of Professor Harada (“Chit Mann Nwe”)
- Co-founder of “Khit San Sar Pay” with U Thein Han (Zawgyi) and ICS U Sein Tin (Theikpan Maung Wa)
- Laureate Poet
- Children : Edgar Wun (U Nyan Soe), Peter Wun (U Htin Kyaw, former President of Myanmar) and Rosalind Wun (Daw Htar Cho)