- He was born on February 13, 1915.
- February 13 is also known as “Khalay Mya Nay” (Children’s Day).
- His Zartar name was Htain Lin.
- He changed his name to Aung San to rhyme with that of his elder brother Aung Than.
- Assassinated on July 19, 1947.
- July 19 is also known as “Arzani Nay” (Martyrs’ Day).
- Spouse : Daw Khin Kyi
- Children : Aung San Oo, Aung San Lin (GBNF), Aung San Suu Kyi
I wrote the following for the Centennial Celebration of his birthday.
(February 12, 1915 – July 19, 1947)
A — Architect of Burma’s Independence;
He signed the Aung San – Atlee Agreement.
It led to the Nu — Atlee Agreement that gave Independence.
U — University Student Leader;
He served as Chief Editor of the Oway Magazine.
He refused to name the author of “Hell Hound Turned Loose”.
He was expelled, resulting in the 1938 Universities Student Strike.
He translated “Invictus“.
N — National Unity & Solidarity Proponent;
He organized the Panlong (Pinlon) Agreement.
The agreement was signed on February 12, 1947.
February 12 is celebrated as Pyi Daung Su Nay.
G — Gone but not forgotten;
He was a General, but he promised to step down after Independence.
He was gunned down at the tender age of 32.
S — Showed leadership & personal sacrifice;
He wore torn uniforms.
He ate Pebyoke and Nanbya.
A — Anti Fascist People’s Freedom League (AFPFL);
He was a Co-founder.
N — National Planning Advocate;
He displayed Nationalism and Patriotism by deeds and not words.