Video Broadcast : #
In December 1920, Rangoon University had only six Professors.
Physics Department was given a Professorship in 1921.
- K. M. Ward was appointed Head of Physics Department on May 16, 1921
- N. C. Krishna Aiyar was appointed Head of Physics Department on 1930
- J. West was appointed Head of Physics Department on 1940
Dr. Maung Maung Kha (Saya Kha)
- Doctorate in Meteorological Physics from the UK
- Worked briefly at the Directorate of Meteorology
- Transfererd to the Department of Physics at the University of Rangoon.
- First native Professor of Physics at the University of Rangoon.
- Served as Interim Dean at the Faculty of Engineering.
- Served as Rector of the University of Rangoon, RASU and Distance Learning
- Excellent violinist
- Patron of RU Ah Nu Pyinnya Ah Thin
- Former students and colleagues celebrated the Centennial of Saya’s birthday
- Saya Kha Hall (named in his honor)
- Spouse : Sayama Daw Ruby (National Tennis Champion in Mixed Doubles with Joe Ba Maung)
- Children : Dr. Oaksoe Kha (Alvin, Luyechun, Swimming, Water Polo), Mamie Kha, Maythi Kha, Dr. Myat Mun Kha (IT Programmer)
U San Tha Aung
- Alumnus of Harvard University.
- He and Saya Kha wrote High School Physics texts (in Burmese and English).
- Served as Director General of Higher Education.
- Passed away unexpected after an inspection tour.
Three early doctorates from USA
- Dr. Hla Shwe (Boon Chiong, first in Burma in 1953), Dr. Tin Maung and Dr. Tin Aung received their doctorates from the USA.
- Dr. Hla Shwe and Dr. Tin Maung moved to the USA.
- Dr. Tin Aung was a victim of the 8-8-88 (even though he was in the USA at the time of the Ah Yay Ah Khin)
Dr. Tin Aung
- Served as Professor and Head of the Physics Department.
- He was on an educational tour in the USA when his colleagues elected him as Patron of the All Universities’ Teachers Association for the 8-8-88 movement.
- After his return, he was forced to resign effective immediately.
- A year ago, he had a replacement pace maker.
Some Sayas and Sayamas
- Daw Nyein (GBNF)
Retired as Head ofthe RIT Physics Department
Lived up to 101 years.
- Daw May Than Nwe (Joyce, GBNF)
First in Physics Honors in 1962
Spouse : Saya U Thein Lwin (GBNF)
Classmates : Dr. Sein Tun, Robert Sein, Daw Khin Than Nwe, Daw Khin Swe Aye (Emily)
She and her spouse passed away within a month or two of each other in Singapore.
- U Hlwan Moe (GBNF)
Succeeded Daw Nyein as Head of RIT Physics
Spouse : Daw Khin Swe Aye
His son is a doctor in UK.
- Daw Khin Swe Aye (Emily)
Spouse : U Hlwan Moe (GBNF)
- U Tha Hlaing
Taught at RIT for two decades
Gave Ovada at SPZP-2007 in Singapore along with Sayagyi U Ba Toke.
- U Kyaw Myint (GBNF)
Retired as Director General of Higher Education
We spent some time together as Guest Speakers for the Ngapali Lu Ye Chun Camp in the 80s.
Has a Foundation named after him
- U Kyaw Mya Thein (GBNF)
Retired from ICST/UCSY
Coined the word “Kar Ku La Thin Char” for Calculus.
Passed away in Singapore.
- U Tin Oo Hlaing (Principal)
Interpreter of Saddhammaransi Sayadaw for the Dhamma Duta in USA
- U Kaung Nyunt (GBNF)
Principal of RC2
Spouse : PPBRS alumni
Daughter : Khaing Khaing Nyunt (UCC)
- U Thein Aung (Micky, SPHS59, GBNF)
RUBC Gold in 1962
Met him during his visit to California.
- Dr. Htin Aung (Japan, GBNF)
Sixth in Burma in the Matriculation of 1957
Younger twin brother : Dr. Htin Kyaw
- Dr. Htin Kyaw
First in Burma in the Matriculation of 1957
Saya Micky recruited the twins to join RUBC
- U Thein Htut
Saya Micky asked him to be athletic trainer for RUBC selected.
- U Saw Hlaing (Principal, Director, GBNF)
First met him as organizer of Kusala Kari association on Shwe Dagon Pagoda.
Last met him at the Ministry of Education.
- U Kin Sein (Director)
He was at the Ministry (in charge of vetting state scholarships)
- Mehm Than Thoung (Maurice)
First in Physics Honors in 1961
RUBC Gold in 1961
Retired as Rector of Distance Learning
Currently spending time at a meditation center
- Dr. Soe Myint Win (Electronics/Engineering, GBNF)
Gawpaka at a monastery in Northern California
Helped found the Northern California Physics Association.
- Daw May Su (GBNF)
Sayama and her spouse Saya U Ba Nyunt (EE, MOGE) visited their daughter and grand children in Northern California.
- Dr. Maung Maung Gyi (Canada)
Taught at RIT.
Worked in Singapore and Canada.
- Dr. Aye Thein Kyaw (Canada, GBNF)
- Dr. Tin Maung Aye (USA)
- Dr. Soe Tint (USA)
- Dr. Myint Thein
- Dr. Myint Kyi (Pro-Rector, IMBTU)
Met him at the Final Journey of Sayadaw U Silananda
- U Kyaw Khin (USA)
- U Kyaw Win (USA)
- U Ye Sint (USA)
- Dr. Kyaw Tint (USA)
- Dr. Win Naing (USA)
- Mr. Bharadwaja (wrote the Lab manuals)
- Daw Khin Mar Mar
Father : Sayagyi U Net
Son : Wunna Ko Ko
Studied Computer Science
- Dr. Khin Swe Myint
Hosted a Physics conference in Mandalay with the help of Dr. Khin Maung Maung (Professor and Chair of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Mississippi)
Brother : U Ohn Khine
- Frankie Ohn (Dr. Hla Ngwe Tin) stood first in the Matriculation examination of 1959. He founded a company in Southern California and sold it.
- Harry Wang (Dr. Than Myint) stood Joint Third in the Matriculation examination of 1956.
- Dr. Yan Naing Lwin retired as Professor and Chair of Physics at WIU, Macomb. He helped many Burmese to study at WIU (some with scholarship / stipend).
- Ko Soe Lwin (son of Dr. Maung Lwin) and Ko Myint Thein were selected Physics Lu Ye Chun in the mid 60s.
- Chu Pu Thein (SPHS63) scored the highest marks for Physics in the first ever High School Final examination in 1962. Due to restrictions, he could not apply to the professional institutes and left to study in Italy.
- Dr. Khin Maung U received 99 marks for Physics in the first ever Matriculation examination in 1963. He supposedly scored a perfect 100, but the Chief Invigilator reluctantly subtracted a point.
- There was a Centennial Celebration for Saya Kha.
Saya U Oo Khin Maung and Sayama Daw Thida were some of the volunteer organizers.
Categories: Rangoon University