Video Broadcast : #
U Aung Hla
- Saya is an early native Professor of Mathematics at the University of Rangoon.
- Wrote musical notes for Burmese songs.
- Spouse : Daw May Than (distinguished vocalist)
- Son : Mya Than (Lead Guitarist)
- Senior lecturer of Mathematics at the University of Rangoon
- Served as Minister of Education in the Caretaker Government
- Later, Rector of the University of Rangoon
- Sons : Dr. Thein Maung (EENT), Dr. Tin Maung (UCC, DCS, ICST).
U Ba Toke
- Phwa Bet Taw of Rangoon University and the First RU Student Strike in December 1920.
- Studied at Mandalay University and Harvard University.
- Joined the faculty at the University of Rangoon
- Taught Mathematics to Science and Engineering students
- Professor of Mathematics at RASU
- Rector at MASU.
- Voluntarily requested transfer to RIT as Professor of Mathematics.
- Camp Commander of a Lu Ye Camp
- Member of the RU Sports Council
- Leader of the Burma Olympic Team.
- His life journey is recorded in the book by Maung Thin Char (Dr. Khin Maung Swe).
- Passed away on December 2, 2020.
Dr. Chit Swe
- Studied at Mandalay University, University of London (for B.Sc. Special), University of Glasgow (for M.Sc.) and University of Liverpool (for Ph.D. In Mathematical Statistics).
- Founded Universities’ Computer Center (UCC) with the help of Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF).
- During the planning stage, the volunteers of the UCC project had to use some rooms at the Department of Mathematics in RASU, and conducted orientation and training courses at Mandalay Hall.
- Allowed me to work on several of his projects : High School Mathematics, Children’s Treasury of Knowledge (CTK) and Team of System Specialists (TOSS).
- Passed away in Sydney Australia in November 2019
Rangoon Institute of Technology
Mathematics teachers at RIT include
- U Aung (Alphoso)
- U Hla Myint
- U Hlaing Oo
- Daw Khin Lay Myint
- Daw Khin Nwe Yee
- Daw Khine Nyan
- U Ko Gyi
- Daw Myint Nyan
- U Sein Shan (Lecturer and Head of the RIT Mathematics)
- U Shwe Hlaing (Chemical Engineer, Mathematician, Taught Engineering Mechanics)
- U Thein Han (Burma Basketball Selected)
- U Tun Shein
Note : There are many sayas who taught Mathematics at RIT after we graduated.
- Sayagyi U Ba Toke (GBNF, Professor)
- Daw Myint Myint (GBNF, Head of Department)
- Dr. Saw Tin (GBNF, Head of Department)
- U Net (Professor)
Daughter : Khin Ma Mar
Grand son : Wunna Ko Ko
- Dr. Ba Kyi
He and Saya Chit were two sayas with Maths doctorates in the mid 1960s
- U Ba Min (SPHS56)
Masters at the University of California at Berkeley
Taught Mathematics and Astronomy at RASU and MASU
Due to medical reasons, he resigned when he was transferred to Myitkyina College
Opened a shop in Mandalay Zay Cho. One day, some Japanese students visited their shop. They were surprised that U Ba Min was a classmate of their professor. They took photos to show them to their professor.
Sayas from various Departments
Met several sayas from RASU (Rangoon Arts and Science University and its affiliated Colleges), Institute of Education, Institute of Economics, BERB (Burma Education Research Bureau) and worked with some of them. They include
- U Aung Sein
Holds the record for highest marks in Honors exam
Brother : Dr. Maung Di
- U Hla Myint
- Daw Khin Ma Ma
Spouse : U Soe Nyunt
- Dr. Khin Maung Swe (Maung Thin Char)
Spouse : Myint Myint Khaing
- Dr. Khin Maung Win
- U Ko Lay
- Dr. Kyaw Nyunt
- Dr. Kyaw Thein
- U Maung Maung Tin
- Dr. Min Oo (SPHS63)
Second in the Matriculation examination in 1963
Lu Ye Chun in 1965
Later a Staff saya at a Lu Ye Chun Camp
Received two doctorates in Mathematics from Germany
Taught in Canada, Germany and as Visiting Professor in USA.
- Daw Myint Myint
- Daw Myint Myint Khaing
Father : Arzani Mahan Ba Khaing
Spouse : Dr. Khin Maung Swe
- Dr. Pyke Tin
- Dr. Saw Tin
- U Sein Min
- Dr. Sein Win (Doctorate from Germany)
Father : Arzani U Ba Win
- U Sein Win (Astronomy)
- U Soe Min
- U Soe Naing
- U Soe Nyunt
Spouse : Khin Ma Ma
- Dr. Thein Myint
- U Tin Hlaing
- Dr. Zaw Win (from Nyaung Oo)
Second in the Matriculation examination in the early 70s.
Doctorate from the same school as Min Oo.
Members of the Mathematics Curriculum Committee include
- U Ba Shan
- U Myint Than
- U Myint Thein (now Dr.)
- U Kyaw Soe (now Dr.)
- U Yan Naing
- U Aung Zaw
Transferred to UCC as Systems Programmer.
MSc (Computer Science), University of Southampton in the UK.
Training at the University of California at Santa Cruz
Taught at UCC before moving to CSO
Taught at Assumption University in Bangkok and in Sydney, Australia
Wrote two books : “Bawa and Dhamma” and “Cetana Thi Thar Kan“.
- Dr. Tin Maung (GBNF)
Succeeded Dr, Chit Swe as Director of UCC.
During his tenure, DCS and ICST were established.
First Rector of ICST
- Dr. Kyaw Thein (GBNF)
Conducted tutorial classes for our I.Sc.(A) class.
Succeeded Dr. Tin Maung as Rector.
- Dr. Pyke Tin
Taught Computational Mathematics at ICST.
Succeeded Dr. Kyaw Thein as Rector of ICST.
Magazine and Book
- Dr. Khin Maung Swe (Maung Thin Char, GBNF) and U Soe Naing (Geometry and Puzzles) were Editors and/or Publishers of the Thin Char Sar Saung.
- Dr. Khin Maung Swe interviewed Sayagyi U Ba Toke and wrote a book about Sayagyi’s life journey.
- His spouse Daw Myint Myint Khaing (daughter of Arzani Mahn Ba Khaing) transcribed the interviews.
- The book was sponsored by the RU Thin Char Mi Thar Su and was published to commemorate Sayagyi’s 90th birthday.