- Mra is a Rakkhine pronunciation.
The Burmese equivalent is Mya.
- Shwe Mra (Economics Honors, ICS, Chief Cabinet Secretary, Joined UN; His sons made names in Track and Field as well as in their professions).
- Tun Mra (Eldest son of U Shwe Mra, Captain of RU T&F, Competed in 1st and 2nd SEAP, Won Gold in 2nd SEAP for 4 x 100 m relay, RUBC Full Green, Interview for RU Diamond Jubilee)
- Kyaw Mra (GBNF, Second son of U Shwe Mra, Competed in 1st and 2nd SEAP, Won Silver in 2nd SEAP for the hurdles, National Coach for Track and Field, RUBC Full Green)
- U Soe Mra (Third son of U Shwe Mra, Won Gold in 2nd SEAP for Pole Vault, Also Gold in a subsequent SEAP)
- U Win Mra (Fourth son of U Shwe Mra, Medalist in Pole Vault but retired following the doctor’s advice, Winner of the “Elvis Presley Contest”, Taught English at RIT, Myanmar Ambassador to UN, Head of the Burma Human Rights Commission)
- [Per U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69)] : U Tun Mra, U Kyaw Mra and U Soe Mra were my brother U Thein Lwin’s good friends. We are forever grateful to U Win Mra for teaching George, Henry and me how to play guitar. In late 1957s the Mra brothers came to visit our house. Our house had a reel to reel tape recorder and U Win Mra recorded a few Elvis and Buddy Holly songs. We were so thrilled and kept listening to his songs over and over again. After that we bugged our brothers to take us to Mras house where U Win Mra showed us the guitar chords and he even taught us how to tune the guitar.
Younger sons of U Shwe Mra
- U Maung Maung Mra, Dr. Rai Mra, and Dr. Aung Mra continued the family’s dominance as Pole Vault Champions at the University and/or Burma level competitions.
- U Maung Maung Mra also excelled in High Jump.
Other Mra’s who are not related to U Shwe Mra
- Mra Tun (UCC, Software Consultant, Worked on the maintenance and migration of COBOL, Formed TAMPS Band (Tin Aung, Austin Xavier, Mra Tun, Pierpont Morgan, Sydney San Aung); After moving to Los Angeles, California, USA, he continued to play in bands and at BASES Annual Dinner).
- Tun Mra Gyaw (RUBC Gold)
- Mra Sabai Nyun (Swimming Champion)
Categories: Names : K, L, M, N, O