Minimum age requirement
- There was a minimum age requirement for admission to the University of Rangoon.
- Saya Dr. Hla Aung (C58) had to wait one year to enter the University of Rangoon because he was under age.
No minimum age requirement
- In some universities, young talented students (12 – 16 years young) graduate.
- Robert Floyd received his BA (at age 16) and BS from the University of Chicago.
Retired as Chairman of the Department of Computer Science at Stanford University.
Won the ACM Turing Award.
- Some who transferred to SPHS (St. Paul’s High School) had to re-do some classes.
Became the senior members of their class.
- Some complete the High School Curriculum at a Chinese School, but decide not to attend a university overseas (e.g.in China).
Join the mainstream schools
May become the senior members of their class.
- A few decide to work for a couple of years after Matriculation (usually as a teacher).
When they later join the University, they may become the senior members of their class.
- [Per Saya Dr. Tin Win] : He was the youngest in the Class of M62.
A classmate (who joined Rangoon University after serving as a high school teacher) was about 7 years older than him.
- There were some “Kyaung Pyaws”.
Enjoy their university life so much that they try to stay as long as possible.
Some repeat every class.
- When Saya U Soe Paing (EE, UCC) returned from the USA after completing his BS and MS, he had to teach one of his former classmates.
Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint wrote :
During the good times of having factions of students for student “politics”, tatoo [“Tat Oo”] and yegaung [“Ye Gaung”], some students either defer or deliberately fail exams so that they could stay in as university students.
Some take BL (Bachelor of Law) and Diploma classes so that they can continue as EC (Executive Committee) members in the student associations.
Categories: A - E