- Most countries have a Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- They perform tests before certifying if a food or drug is safe to take.
- Some departments to monitor if tap water is safe to drink.
- Some check if the claims for the “bottled water” are true.
Over the years, I have read “recall” notices.
- Beef and chicken products that are contaminated
- Pickled tea leaves that have been prepared using “unsafe” dyes and chemicals
- Toys that are unsafe for children
- During a visit to Yangon, a friend took me to his favorite restaurant. He handed to the Chef the oil bottle that he had brought from home to be used in preparing the dishes.
- May be our immune system has degraded over time.
- May be commercial greed has overtaken the health concerns.
- I hope that there are no malpractices in the preparation of food (e.g. ah thoke, ah kyaw, …).