- Saya Allen Htay (C58) attended schools in Mandalay and Rangoon.
- He is the son of U Ba Htay, whose cousins include Kyar Ba Nyein (Boxing and Checkers) and Bohmu Ba Thaw (Navy, “Maung Thaw Ka”).
- His mother requested him to finish his studies at the Faculty of Engineering and not to apply for scholarships before graduation.
- After graduation, he joined the faculty along with Dr. San Hla Aung as Assistant Lecturers.
- He studied for his Masters at Harvard University. He also took some courses (e.g. Scheme programming language) at MIT.
- On the return trip on an ocean liner, he played Bridge with Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt (M60), Saya U Soe Paing (EE, UCC) and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (C, UCC). They became close friends. Three of them became neighbors in the RIT Compound.
- He was promoted to Lecturer.
- He retired and un-retired twice in the USA.
- His last job was with CalTran (California Transportation).
- He had a stroke while accompanying his spouse Daw Mu Mu Kin (MEHS57) to the MEHS Reunion in Las Vegas.
- He recovered briefly, but passed away.
- He was President of the “RT Photography Association”.
- He was the leader of the San Francisco Bay Area RIT Alumni.
- He is a founding member of “RIT Alumni International” and served as its President.
- For SPZP-2000, he wrote, “Brother, can you spare US $500?”
- For the Photo Gallery of https://www.ex-rit.org, he submitted the Class photo of C58. He asked his classmates Saya Dr. San Hla Aung and U Khin Maung Win (Sid Chen, GBNF) to help with the caption
- He took photos for the 10th Anniversary of RIT Alumni International
- He provided a Brief Biography (which needs to be updated to include his four grand children. One has Allen as the first name. Another has Allen as the middle name.)
- In Saya’s memory, Daw Mu Mu Kin donated saya’s books to YTU library and provided book shelves.
The donation was coordinated by Maurice Chee (M75).
- Daw Mu Mu Kin also provided scholarships to YTU students.
The scholarship program is coordinated by NorCal RITAA and volunteer members in Yangon (some of whom are EC for RITAA),