- Fifty students attended Std. VIII(A) at St. Paul’s High School (SPHS) for the academic year 1960 – 61.
- Most matriculated in 1963.
- Many are now retired or semi-retired.
- Some have passed away.
- Lost contact with many.
Hope they and their relatives & friends can provide updates.
- Thanks to Dr. Nyunt Wai (Victor Nyunt) and U Than Win for the information about Dr. Nyunt Naing (Kock Leong, GBNF)
Sitting : Win Kywe (William), Alan Saw Maung (Khin Maung Bo), Brother Anthony, Saya Sein, Brother Felix, Saya Nyunt Maung, Saya Beatson, Brother Xavier, Thein Wai (Fifth in Burma), Min Oo (Kenneth, Second in Burma)
First Row (Standing) : Stanley Shwe Gyi (Thein Lwin), Hla Min (Seventh in Burma), Han Tun, Tommy Chit Maung (Naing Win), Tun Tun Aung (Tommy), Herbert K C L, Kock Leong (Nyunt Naing, GBNF), Brownie Way (Aung Thu Yein, GBNF, 13th in Burma), Tommy Aung, Bernard Taylor, Gallant Leong (Han Thein)
Second Row : Richard Lim, Sean Young, Edward Chow, Khin Maung Htay, Freddie Ba San (Myo San, GBNF, Third in Burma), Victor Chaw (Aung Chaw, Ashin Ukkamsa), Maung Maung Kyi (11th in Burma), Henry Wong (Than Win), Nay Lin, Eddie Nyunt, Robert Kyi (San Maung), Than Win
Third Row : Arthur Kyi (Aung Kyi), George Khin Maung (Khin Maung U, First in Burma), Victor Nyunt (Nyunt Wai, Fourth in Burma), Sebastian Law Kee, Win Maung, Than Htay, Edwin David (GBNF), Orlando Thein, Jerry Hin Hwa (Htin Paw), Edwin Ngwe (Aye Ngwe), Peter Pe (Aung Kyaw)
Fourth Row : Bo Ni, Kyaw Wynn, Robert Myint Win, Caesar Yang (Yin Kyi), Aung Khin (GBNF), Aung Kyee Myint, Chu Pu Thein, Anthony Lourdes, Willie Soe Maung (Myint Soe, GBNF), Tin Tun, Richard Pe, xxx
- Brother Anthony was our Class Teacher and taught Mathematics.
He is the younger brother of Brother Joseph (later known as Father Joseph)
- Saya U Sein taught us Burmese from VIII to X Standard.
He is the father of Dr. Soe Win (First in Burma in 1958, Retired Rector of YUFL).
- Brother Felix was Brother Director
He passed away in Germany.
- Saya U Nyunt Maung taught Arts subjects.
He could also teach Burmese and Mathematics (e.g. at Sacred Heart).
- Saya Beatson taught Science subjects.
Taught Physics in High School.
He was Scout Master.
After retirement, he became a Sayadaw.
- Brother Xavier taught English.
He used aggressive scoring and harsh penalty.
A few students received MINUS scores in his tests.
After Nationalization, he left the Order and moved back to the UK
- Hope someone can add (for the missing names marked with xxx).
- Feel free to provide feedback, suggestions and information.
It’s been Six Decades.
- Some are GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
Aung Thu Yein (Brownie Way)
Freddie Ba San (Myo San)
Willie Soe Maung (Myint Soe)
- Several won Collegiate Scholarships in the Matriculation of 1963.
Dr. Khin Maung U (Retired from FDA, First)
Dr. Min Oo (Double Doctorate in Mathematics, Retired from McMasters University, Second)
Dr. Myo San (Freddie Ba San, Retired Surgeon, GBNF, Third)
Dr. Nyunt Wai (Victor Nyunt, Retired Professor, Taught in Burma and Malaysia, Fourth)
Dr. Thein Wai (Moved to USA after graduation, Fifth)
U Hla Min (Retired Software Engineer, Seventh)
U Maung Maung Kyi (Retired Chemical Engineer / Pulp & Paper, Moved to Wales, Eleventh)
U Aung Thu Yein (Brownie Way, Retired Electronics Engineer, GBNF, Thirteenth)
- Two other Scholarship holders were not from VIII A
Dr. Aung Kyaw Zaw (Johnny Maung Maung, Transferred from St. Peter’s, Ninth)
Dr. Khin Maung Zaw (Frank Gale, Moved to Section A in High School, Seventeenth)
- Three classmates planned to become Catholic Priests.
- Bernard Taylor was a Missionary Priest in Philippines.
He moved back to Mandalay.
- Edwin David (GBNF) became Priest of St. Mary’s Cathedral.
- Not sure what happened to Anthony Lourdes.
- Some were members of the SPHS Marching Band.
Bo Ni (Drummer) : had a twin brother Bo Kyi (also Drummer)
Win Maung : cousin of Than Htay
Bernard Taylor : became a missionary
Orlando Thein : became a doctor
Jerry Hin Hwa (Htin Paw) : football Captain; became a newspaper editor
Herbert KCL (Khai Ching Lian) : need information
- Some were Football (Soccer) Selected
Jerry Hin Hwa (Captain of the football team)
Eddie Nyunt : need information
- Some studied Medicine
Khin Maung U
Myo San (Freddie Ba San, GBNF)
Nyunt Wai (Victor Nyunt) : Taught 35 years in Myanmar and 12 years in Malaysia
Tun Tun Aung
Stanley Shwe Gyi (Thein Lwin)
Kock Leong (Nyunt Naing, GBNF) : Per Victor and Than Win, his house was ransacked during the riots
- Some studied Engineering & Computer Science
Maung Maung Kyi (Alumni of Dresden University, Sittaung Paper Mill)
Aung Chaw (Victor Chaw) : became a monk (Ashin Ukkamsa) after retirement
Khin Maung Bo (Allan Saw Maung)
Than Htay : need information
Aung Thu Yein (Brownie Way, GBNF) : retired from MOC & Schlumberger
Kyaw Wynn : hosted Birthday Soon Kyway (for Uzin Aung Chaw) and invited Paulian friends : Allan Saw Maung, Arthur Kyi, Edwin Ngwe, Than Win, Tin Tun …
- Some applied for States Scholarship (when the Universities were “suspended” in 1963 to late 1964)
Maung Maung Kyi
Tommy Chit Maung
- A few Lucky Ones (e.g. Robert Kyi, Edward Chow) took the Government Seventh Standard earlier as external candidates.
They left SPHS to take the last ever HSF & Matriculation examination.
- Some had similar names
Two Than Win (One is also called Henry)
Two Tommy Aung (One is also called Tun Tun Aung)
- Peter Pe (Aung Kyaw) acted in a movie.
In late 1965, he invited Dr. Maung Maung Aye and me to visit Inlay and Taunggyi.
- Richard Lim (GBNF) became a Soothsayer.
His family owned Tourist Tavern.
- Han Tun, Aung Khin (GBNF) and Richard Pe attended DSA.
Han Tun moved to Australia.
Aung Khin had two Kidney Transplants.
Richard Pe : need information
- Willie Soe Maung (Myint Soe, GBNF) attended the First Batch of BDS.
He was the Timing Stroke of the SPHS Crew at RUBC.
The crew members were Kyaw Wynn (3), Hla Min (2), Maung Maung Kyi (Bow) and Myint Thein (Cox, SPHS62).
The crew was Runner-up for Senior Novices.
All were awarded Full Green.
- Some won Luyechun Award.
Khin Maung U (Multiple times)
Min Oo (Multiple times; Also selected as Luyechun Staff Saya)
Hla Min (RIT Luyechun, Summer of 1965)
Aung Kyee Myint (Agri Luyechun, Summer of 1965)
- Chu Pu Thein scored the highest marks for Physics in the HSF examination of 1962.
Due to the discriminatory rules, he could not apply for professional courses and left to study in Italy.
- Maung Maung Kyi scored the highest marks for Chemistry in the HSF examination of 1962.
He also scored Distinction in Chemistry in the Matriculation and I.Sc.(A) examinations.
When the Universities were suspended, he applied for States Scholarship.
He studied Chemical Engineering (with Pulp & Paper as Specialty) from Dresden University in Germany.
- Khin Maung U scored 100 in Mathematics and Chemistry, and a “mere” 99 in Physics in the Matriculation examination of 1963.
He was given a 100 in Physics before getting a mark reduced (not to set a precedent for perfect score).
He taught at IM(1) and some US Universities.
He worked at BMRI/DMR and FDA.
He published KMU Reports.
He translated Dhamma Books (e.g. by D. Nandamalabhivamsa) and Talks.
He is a Gawpaka at a monastery / meditation center in Maryland, USA.
- Min Oo is a Genius in Mathematics.
He received two Doctorates from Germany.
He taught in Germany and Canada.