U Tin Maung Nyunt
- Saya’s birthday is December 30
- Saya’s father observed his birthday by taking eight precepts.
- Saya also followed the tradition until his health required taking medicine in the morning, afternoon, evening and night.
Birthday Soon Kyway
- Some (Saya U Ba Than and his son, Daw Saw Yu Tint) pledged Annual Birthday Soon kyway at a specified monastery.
- Before the pandemic, Saya invited former colleagues and students to his Birthday Soon Kwyay on October 2nd at Yaw Sayadaw’s Kyaung.
- His son (Ko Ye Than, Winner Inn) would celebrate the birthday on January 1 at Shwe Taung Gone Panditarama.
Food for thought
- I am not sure how people born on February 29 celebrate.
Do they celebrate once every four years?
Do they celebrate on February 28 or March 2?
U Ngwe Soe wrote : For the Burmese, they can celebrate using the Burmese Calendar.
- Most twins share the birthday, but in some exceptional cases, their birthdays differ.
- The day, month or even the year may be different.
- Recently one twin was born near midnight on December 31, 2021 and another was born in the early hour of January 1, 2020.
The odds were 1 in two million births.
- Some companies and communities celebrate birthdays collectively.
e.g those born in a specified month.
- Some Oldies do not know the date of birth and/or the time of birth (needed for natal horoscopes).
- Some were told by the elders that they were born at “Soon Khan Chein”, “Nay Htunn Ta Phyar”, or “Kon Tin Thin Baw Site”.
- A few sense Samvegha that one more year has passed.
- Some review their merits and demerits for the year since their last birthday.
- Some parents celebrate monthly or quarterly when their toddlers are young and innocent.
- Alice (Saw Yu Tint)’s grandson asked for half-year birthday present.
- Some oldies forgot to wish their loved ones.
Blame it on Aging and Memory Loss.
- In a group of 30+ people, it is highly likely that at least a pair will have the same birth month and day (but not the year).
Some may refresh their “Probability and Statistics” knowledge.
- It will take a few thousand of people (not including twins) to have a pair that have the exact birthday (year, month, day).
- Uzin Bobby Myo Tun (Ashin Pannagavesaka, A69)
- Daw Saw Yu Tint (T69)
- U Tin Maung Aye (M69)
- U Nyunt Htay (Met73)
- Ko Ye Than (Winner Inn, Son of Saya U Ba Than)
- Bogyoke Aung San
- Dr. Khin Maung U
- U Moe Aung (Tekkatho Moe War)
- U Myo Min
- U Thaung Lwin
- U Tin U and several cousins
- Dr. Nyunt Wai
- Daw Mu Mu Khin
- U Myint Swe
- U Thein Naing (Patrick)
- U Tin Htoon
- U Tin Htut
- U Ba Than
- Dr. Aung Gyi
- Aung Thu Yein (Brownie, GBNF)
- U Silananda
- Maung Maung Kyi
- Allen Htay (GBNF)
- U Tin Maung Nyunt
Categories: Hla Min