- The Class of 69 held the Golden Jubilee of Graduation on December 14, 2019 at the YTU Assembly Hall.
- The Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe had 30+ sayas and sayamas.
- This post should bring back sweet memories.
- Should also instill Samvega (Sense of Urgency) noting that a third of the Class had left the world.
- The GBNF list has 117 members (as of April 2022)
- 1965 – 1969
- 1970 – 1998
- 1999 : 30th Anniversary of Graduation
- 2009 : 40th Anniversary of Graduation
- 2014 : 50th Anniversary of Admission to RIT
- 2019 : Golden Jubilee of Graduation
- Reunion in 2017
- Two Mingalars in 2018
- More than 5 decades ago at RIT
- F-Block Soccer Team
- Health Care Fund
- Other 69ers
- Two Mingalars in Sept 2018
- Mini-gathering in New Jersey, USA
- Some Health Problems
- matriculated in 1963.
- attended the last I.Sc.(A).
- were admitted to the first ever 2nd BE in November 1964
- graduated in 1969
- took sabbatical and graduated in later years
- left RIT before graduation
- are seniors who took sabbatical
- are having medical problems
- are GBNF.
There were originally 300+ members (close to 320).
The GNBF list has grown over the years.
- In December 2017, the list contained 79 members.
- In June 2018, the list grew to 82.
- In May 2019, the list has 88 members.
- 1999 : 30rd Anniversary of Graduation
- 2009 : 40th Anniversary of Graduation
- 2014 : 50th Anniversary of Admission to RIT (first ever 2nd BE)
- 2019 : True Golden Jubilee (Dec 14, 2019 at YTU Assembly Hall)
Every month : Breakfast Gathering
Ad hoc : Welcoming members visiting from abroad
Every year : Annual Dinner (with entertainment)
With the introduction of the then new Education Systems, 320+ students who had passed the I.Sc.(A) examinations were admitted to the first ever 2nd BE.
1965 – 1969
The members had to decide which major they want to pursue starting from 3rd BE. There were eight Engineering Departments :
Many students chose Civil and Mechanical.
The Electrical Engineering (EE) students have to chose Power (EP) or Communications (EC) in their 5th BE.
In 1969, 30+ EP students and 11 EC students graduated.
Three EC graduates : U Kyaw Soe, U Aung Thu Yein (Brownie) and U Chit Tin are GBNF.
1970 – 1998
After graduation, most worked for the Government Departments (EPC, HIC, Irrigation, PWD, PTC, RIT, …)
Some worked for private companies and family business.
Some moved to work overseas.
1999 : 30th Anniversary of Graduation
Some 69ers organized a Reunion and SPZP to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the Graduation.
U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69) e-mailed me about the Reunion. Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69) and Saya U Soe Paing e-mailed me photos of the Reunion and some other gatherings in Yangon.
Sad to note that some organizers such as U Sein Win (Nar Yee) and U Kyaw Than are GBNF.
I started the “RIT Alumni International Newsletter” in April, 1999.
U Khin Maung Zaw (KMZ, EC76) designed and implemented http://www.ex-rit.org a month of two later. I was the Editor and Content Provider for the web site. Several sayas and alumni submitted articles, news and photos.
RIT Alumni International was formed with Saya Allen Htay (C58) as President with the main objective to host the First RIT Grand Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe in October 2000.
I wrote the “SAYA PUZAW PWE” poem, 64 posts on “Countdown to the Reunion” and 36 posts on “Post-Reunion”.
2009 : 40th Anniversary of Graduation
The celebration took place on January 30, 2019.
Chit Tin, Tun Oo Khine, Aung Thuyein, Thein Swe, Khin Maung Win, Aung Gyi Shwe … are GBNF
Myint Thein (Kabar), Sein Win, Soe Win, Kyaw Nyunt, Yi Pinn … are GBNF
Textile and Chemical
Hla Shwe is GBNF.
2014 : 50th Anniversary of Admission to RIT
TODO : Add Group Photos
2019 : Golden Jubilee of Graduation
The GJ took place on December 14, 2019 at the YTU Assembly Hall.
Attendees from overseas include
- U Hla Min (USA)
- U Aung Khin (USA)
- Daw Tin Tin (USA)
- U Tint Lwin (Daniel, Singapore)
- Daw Lin Lin Aung (Singapore)
Reunion in 2017
- Place : Diamond Hall, M3 Food Center, Bahan
- Date : December 22, 2017
- Time : starting at 5:30 pm
- Organizers : U Aung Min (M69) and team
- Records : Photos and Videos to be uploaded to the RIT 69ers Facebook Pages.
Benefits for attending the event:
- Lots of Fun
- Vitamin F (for Friendship)
- Vitamin LL (for Long Life)
- Food (Buffet)
- Drinks (wine/whisky/ Beer/soft / plain tea etc.)
- Entertainment (opening song, KTV, lucky draw + parcel game)
- Speech (sharing memory of your youth)
- Feel free to contribute (from zero to infinity)
- We welcome your idea to make the event more fruitful, exciting, and memorable
Two Mingalars in Sept 2018
U Aung Min (M69) wrote :
- This is the invitation to all disciplines of RIT69ers to come and wish for good health and well being of our friend Ko Ngwe Tun Tun (C69).
- His birthday was on the 6th September.
- He will host the breakfast gathering as follows.
- Venue: Royal Rose (Taw Win Hnin Si) Restaurant
- Time: 7 to 8:30 am
- Date: 30 September (Sunday)
- Sayagyi U Ba Than (Retired Professor of Mechanical Engineering) will turn 88 on 2 October 2018.
- There will be Saya Puzawpwe (by all disciplines) to pay homage to Sayagyi at his place (Winner Inn) after our breakfast gathering.
- The event is open to all.
- Your participation is highly appreciated.
- Contributions for Garawa are welcome.
More than 5 decades ago at RIT
Posting by Ko Tin Aung Win (M69)
L to R,
Tin Aung Win(Oscar),
F-Block Soccer Team
The rare photo of the F-Block Soccer Team was shared by Ko Myint Maung (Bugyi, EP69) with the help of Ko Win Maung (Lake).
The Class of 69 has several types of gatherings:
Monthly breakfast gathering
M69ers meet at Royal Rose Restaurant (Taw Win Hnin Si). The restaurant is run by U Soe Nyunt (a Paulian who is junior to us).
M69ers are joined by their classmates from other disciplines as well. They include Civil (e.g. Ko Han Sein), Chemical (e.g. Ko Albert Kyaw Min), Electrical (e.g. Ko Shwe), Textile (e.g. Saw Yu Tint) and Architecture (e.g. Uzin Bobby Myo Tun).
Usually, there is a host to celebrate an event (Birthday, Anniversary).
EE69ers try to meet at least once every two months.
Meeting for 69er Health Care Fund
I was invited to a meeting held at U Aung Min’s house. We had Mohinga.
Ad hoc gatherings
- Welcoming visiting classmates from overseas
- Dana by classmates from overseas
- Garawa to Sayagyi U Ba Than (around his birthday : October 2) by M69 and some from other disciplines. The Garawa for 2018 took place at Winner Inn on September 30, 2018.
The venues for the gatherings include (a) Kandawgyi Westin Royal (b) Crystal Jade Restaurant (c) Shwe Bei (d) Royal Rose Restaurant.
There may be breakfast or lunch gatherings.
In 1999, there was a gathering and mini-SPZP to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Graduation. U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69) and Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69) e-mailed me about the event. I informed the sayas and alumni in a Newsletter (which became known as RIT Alumni International Newsletter).
Sad to note that some organizers for that event (U Kyaw Than, U “NarYi” Sein Win …) are GBNF
In 2009, the group celebrated the 40th Anniversary.
In 2014, the group celebrated the Golden Jubilee (GJ) of Admission to the first ever 2nd BE in November 1964.
The true Golden Jubilee (50th Anniversary of Graduation) will be held on December 14, 2019 at the YTU Assembly Hall.
Health Care Funds
- U Aung Min (M69) is Chair of the 69er HCF (Health Care Fund).
- He regularly sends out monthly and quarterly reports : (a) Income (b) Expenditure (c) GBNF list.
The major donors include
- Ivan Lee (U Khin Maung Oo (M69, New Jersey)
- U Sein Myint (EP69, Singapore)
- Daw Myint Myint (C69)
Many donate once or more at the 69er Gatherings and for special celebrations.
Volunteers for the 69er HCF
- U Aung Min (M)
- U Myo Nyunt (C)
- U Zau Lai (EE)
- U Kyaw Zin (EE)
- U Myint Thein (M, GBNF)
- U Shwe (EE)
- U Myint Sein (M)
- U Kyaw Nyunt (M, GBNF)
- U Sein Win (Pet)
- U Yee Pinn (Maung Maung Kaung, M, GBNF)
- U “David” Myint Thein (M)
- U Win Lwin (M)
- U Chit Tin (EE, GBNF)
- U Aung Gyi Shwe (EE)
- Daw Myint Myint (C)
- Daw Thaung Htwe (C)
- U Kyaw Min Thein (C)
- U Moe Hein (ChE)
- U “Albert” Kyaw Min (ChE)
- U Hla Shwe (Tex, GBNF)
- U Sai Kyaw Myint (Met)
For Upper Burma/Myanmar:
- U Myint Aung (M, GBNF)
- U Sein Tun (C)
- Daw Yi Yi Khaing (Vilma, ChE)
- Daw Nyunt Nyunt Wai (Millie, Tex)
- U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M)
- U Hla Min (EC)
- U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan, M)
- U Sein Myint (EP)
- U Win Boh (Robert, EC)
- Dr. Myo Khin (C)
- U Sein Myint is a major donor of the fund.
- The donors’ list is maintained by Sa Maung Maung (EP69) with the help of U Shwe (EP69).
Chit Tin, Aung Thu Yein (Brownie), Tun Oo Khine, Khin Maung Win, Aung Gyi Shwe, Tommy, Soe Win, Abdul R auf,Thein Swe … are GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
Sa Maung Maung, Myint Maung, and Myat Soe Lwin (Sai Hwet) take part in the 69er gatherings.
There were seven in the class.
- Kyaw Kyaw
- Thet Tun
- Myo Tun (Bobby)
- Tobias K Ku (Toby, GBNF)
- Aung Khin
- Thwin Thwin Aye Hmi (Olive)
- Tin Maung Hla
U Myo Tun (Ashin Pannagavesaka, A69)
- The two photos display the physical, mental and spiritual transformation of U Myo Tun (A69).
- U Myo Tun won Essay Contests held by Dawlay’s Circle of the Guardian Daily Newspaper under the name “Errol Than Tun“.
- His friends call him “Bobby“. He loves to play Scrabble. During our younger days, there were Scrabble tournaments at the Guardian, YMCA and the RIT English Department.
- Bobby became a close friend of P. Aung Khin (“Paul”) who was in charge of the Dawlay’s Circle. Daw Khin Swe Hla (maternal aunt of Sayama Toni Khine and Ko Henry Thet Tun (M75, Australia) was the first “Dawlay“. After she transferred to Working Peoples’ Daily (WPD) where she managed the Sunday Supplement and the Special Supplement, Saya Tim Marshall and P. Aung Khin helped run the Dawlay’s Circle.
- Paul requested Bobby to be a judge at the Scrabble tournaments held at Guardian. Bobby helped with proof reading for Dawlay’s Circle.
- U Myo Tun studied Architecture at RIT. His classmates include Tobias K Ku (Toby), Ko Kyaw Kyaw, Ko Aung Khin, Ko Thet Tun, Ma Thwin Thwin Aye Hmi (Olive).
- He did post graduate studies at NewCastle-on-Tyne, UK in 1979.
M69ers pay respect to Sayagyi U Ba Than every year around October 2 (Sayagyi’s birthday). They are joined by other 69ers as time permits.
U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan Lee, M69)
- He is a major donor for the 69er Health Care Fund.
- He is a Golden Sponsor of SPZP-2000.
- He hosts an Annual gathering of RIT and UCC sayas and alumni at his house in New Jersey.
- He is a Life time Gold at Bridge (competitive card game). He held PEs from NY (New York State) and NJ (New Jersey). He had a private company.
- Ivan recently celebrated his 76th birthday with 11 family members (two daughters, two son-in-laws, six grand children).
U Tin Tun (M69)
- He was my classmate in Std IV(D) of SPHS (St. Paul’s High School). Like most transfer students, the Brothers put me in Section D. He was the top student in our section. I was a close second.
- For various reasons, he did not find much time to study for the Matriculation. He rebounded in I.Sc.(A) and at RIT.
- He was called “Phone Gyi”. His beloved mother would bring lunch and feed him. He was the envy of most students, who had to bring their lunch or buy lunch with their pocket money (typically 25 pyas).
- He studied Naval Architecture. Even after retirement, he teaches and/or tutors interested students.
U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69)
- He is the younger brother of Saya U Thein Lwin (EE).
- He matriculated from MEHS.
- He is a Retired Associate Professor from NTU, Singapore.
- He is an organizer of the 69er SPZPs.
- He is a guitarist and a vocalist.
U Aung Min (M69)
- He was my classmate in I.Sc.(A). Our roll numbers were close.
- He is the Chair of the 69er HCF and a core organizer for 69er events.
U Tin Shein (M69)
- He reminded me that we were in Saya Des’s section in 2nd BE.
- He is also called “Phone Gyi”.
- He was a member of the RIT Chinlon team that was victorious in the Inter Institute tournament.
U Htay Aung (M69)
- He was Burma Selected in Swimming and Water Polo.
- He was a star swimmer and Captain of the RIT water polo team.
- He won several events (mostly free style) : 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m and 2000m cross lake (from RUBC to Dubern).
- His spouse Daw Than Than was Burma Selected sprinter.
U Tin Htut (Harry, M69)
- He wrote under several pen names including Mon Yu.
- He matriculated from Sacred Heart High School.
- He is a senior in the Class of 69.
- He stays fit by doing exercises (e.g. Tai Chi) and singing songs.
- Many were awed to know that he is 77 years young.
U Aung Myint (M69)
- He taught at RIT and Singapore Polytechnic.
- He spends time between Singapore and New Zealand.
- His hobbies including Painting and Sharing motivational messages.
U Kyaw Nyunt (M69, GBNF)
- He represented RIT in Tennis.
- He often visits his son in the US.
Saw I Zeyar Linn (M69, GBNF)
- He is GBNF.
U Myint Thein (Kabar, M69, GBNF)
- There were two Myint Thein in the Class of 69.
- One was named Maung Kabar (or Kabar for short) after the cartoon character of our younger days.
- During one of my visits to Yangon, Kabar picked me up to attend the Monthly Breakfast Gathering of the 69ers.
- Kabar was an active organizer for the 69ers.
- Kabar had medical examination in Singapore and India.
- He became weak to have a transplant.
- He passed away in Yangon.
- According to U Aung Min (M69), thirty five or so 69ers were present for Kabar’s Last Journey.
- His spouse predeceased him.
- He raised his large extended family well.
- Kabar’s family invited the 69ers to the Yet Lei Soon Kwyay.
U Tin Myint (M69, GBNF)
U Tin Myint (a) John T Lee (a) Lee Tan Choy (M69) passed away.
From Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice)
It was in 2015 at Fremont phonegyi kyung, I was leaving when he called out “Alice pyan pyee lar?” I nodded and waved him goodbye without realizing that would be my last for him!! Dear Ko Tin Myint may you rest in peace. And Lyo I am so very sorry. Please accept our deepest condolences.
From U Thein Swe
I remembered, when we stayed in C hostel-hall during RIT days, the tiger-skin (belongs to KoTin Myint) was stolen. KoTin Myint did not get angry and continued to boil tea- water.
From U Myo Min
Ko Tan Choy (Ko Tin Myint) is my intimate friend. Rest in peace, my dear.
From U Kyaw Thein
Rest in Peace.
From David Myint Thein
Rest In Peace, Ko Tin Myint. Leo Kyin Sein was my classmate when we were attending I.Sc A at Myitkyina Intermediate College and reached RIT together in 1964. Please accept my deepest sympathies to you and your family
From Robert Win-Boh
John T Lee @ Ko Tin Myint M69 came to Benny Tan M70 house to pick me & drove me to halfmoon bay monastery & along the southern coast of S.F on my second last visit to USA in 2009. He was a close friend during RIT days. Rest in peace my friend John TM & deepest condolences to Mable LKS + family from Rob W-B Australia.
From U Han Sein
From Duwa Zau Lai
I am really sorry to hear the news of Ko Tin Myint. I remember that he was a good player of table tennis.His better half Lyo K S is one of our Myitkyina crowd. My sincere condolences to the bereaved family.
From Sai Kyaw Myint
Rest in Peace,Tan Choy. He was class mate when we were in Taunggyi. Lyo Kyin Sein was my room mate in first list in R I T 63-64. Both of they are very close friends of us. I’m so sad to hear it.
From U Aung Min
Sadness, Astonishment, Condolences and Remembrances.
MIXED UP in my heart
REST IN PEACE Ko Tin Myint
It is ALARMING ALARMING ALARMING
We had made a record .
RIT69ers lost 4 classmates within 66 days .
From U Ngwe Tun (Tun Tun)
Rest in Peace.
From U Kyaw Nyunt
Surprise …… RIP. KTM.
From Naw Mu Mu Aye
My sincere condolences and deepest sympathy to my friend Lyo and family. May Ko Tin Myint’s soul rest in peace.
From U Kyaw Min Thein
U Chit Po Po (M69, GBNF)
U Win Boh (Robert, EC69) wrote :
- It is with my great sadness, to inform you that our close friend Ko Chit Po Po (M69, beloved husband of Dr. Daisy Saw) passed away at Asia-Taw Win Private Hospital YGN on 15 Jan 2011 Saturday early morning.
- I have phoned his brother-in-Law Stanley Saw (M71) in New Zealand to convey our 69ers’ condolence.
- His daughter Thiri Po in Sydney will be leaving soon to YGN for funeral.
- Kindly pass on this message to Ko Chit Po Po’s friends far and near.
U Thein Swe (EP69) wrote :
- It is sad news. Ko Chit Po Po (M69, ex-irrigation, tall and smiling Yangonite) passed away.
- He and his brother (Dr ?) U Chit Ko Ko were close friends of my spouse’s brothers.
- Before he went back to Yangon he stayed in Cambodia, Malaysia and Thailand, etc. After he quit Irrigation Dept he ran an engineering (medium sized) company of Installation and Services for Air-cons and refrigerators, etc. in Lanmadaw Township.
- He was a friendly classmate.
- Unwillingly or in sadness we have to lose another friend.
U Tin Myint (John, M69) wrote :
- It is a shock to me in hearing the sad news of Ko Chit Po Po, who was a very close friend, co-worker and also my lunch mate in the Irrigation Department at 81/2 mile workshop location.
- He and I and another classmate rode the same Mazda car to work and coming back from work everyday.
- He and I ate our lunch everyday.
- I still remember vividly that during lunch time, after opened his lunch box and discovered fried shrimps, he would offered me his jumbo shrimps and skipped his lunch.
- I enjoyed shrimps while he had no interest in shrimps.
- He and I usually had one e-mail/year with exception of having two e-mails the most.
- This year I received his e-mail once and I tried to have more e-mails and more info from him.
- Now I received this sad news.
U Aung Thu Yein (EC69) wrote :
Our Colleague/Comrade/Friend – Chit Po Po,
- We will miss you.
- Just talking about you a few days ago.
- Why so fast?
- Why so sudden !!!
True Friends – Their Top 10 Characteristics (By Martin Sawdon)
- When you forget the song in your heart, a friend is someone who sings it back to you. (Helen Steiner)
- A friend’s support is unconditional: when the going gets tough a friend is right there beside you.
- A friend has seen you at your worst and loves you even so.
- A friend is someone with whom you can share secrets in confidence.
- You can phone a friend for help even in the middle of the night.
- A friend is honest with you, deflates your ego and inflates your Self.
- A friend shares your sense of humor, provides nourishment and inspiration for the mind.
- A friend is drawn to you not for what you are but who you are.
- When you share your wildest dreams, a friend is someone who replies, quote, How can I help? unquote.
- Thinking about Needs and Values, once you have recognized those Needs which,satisfied, enable you to be the best person you possibly can be, a friend will help you get them met.
U Sein Tin (“Omega”, Pathein, M 69) wrote :
- We are feeling very sorry like you.
- Our ages are at the sunset.
- So take care of our health first and last.
Ivan Lee (Khin Maung Oo, M 69) wrote :
Dr. Daisy Saw and family:
- Please accept my deepest sympathy and heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
- We will remember him forever.
Daw Yi Yi Khaing (Vilma, ChE69) wrote :
- I have a photo, which was taken at our gathering on 17 March 2010 by 69ers for KCPP’s visit to Singapore.
- We were all very happy to meet him then!!
Editor’s Notes :
- Ko Chit Po Po is an expert at playing Burmese Harp.
- I met Zeyar Po, Ko CPP’s son, in Sydney in 2006 along with his maternal uncle Ko Stanley Saw.
- Ko Chit Po Po represented RIT in rowing along with Ko Aung Lwin (Jasper Wu, Canada), Ko Aung Tun Oo (Dennis Smithers, Australia), Ko Wunna Sithu (US) and me.
Daw Myint Myint (C69)
- She and her spouse are successful entrepreneurs.
- She is a major donor to the 69er Health Care Fund.
- She is also a major donor for the YTU Modernization Project.
- She sponsored several tables at the 69er gatherings.
U Myo Nyunt (C69)
U Myo Nyunt, his daughter and his son-in-law are RIT alumni. His grand daughter is attending 2nd Year classes at YTU. They cover Three Generations.
U Han Sein (C69, GBNF)
U Han Sein is a Tone Kyaw.
U Nyi Hla Nge (C69)
- He is a retired Deputy Minister.
- He served as Professor of Civil Engineering and Rector of YTU.
- He is a Past President of MES.
- He was awarded Wunna Kyaw Htin.
- He is an eligible bachelor.
Saw Yan Naing (C69, GBNF)
Saw Yan Naing was the Third casualty for 69ers in less than two months.
U Aung Min (M69), Chair, 69er HCF posted:
- Sad news
- One of our classmates Saw Yan Naing @ Bo Bo C69 (Meikhtila) passed away at Mandalay on 3 December, 2017.
- He got stroke on January this year and became paralyzed.
- May his soul rest peace
- Take care all
EE69 (EP and EC)
- 300+ students were admitted to first ever 2nd BE in 1964.
- 80+ students chose to study EE.
- There were 40+ students in the Final Year (for EP and EC).
- Twelve studied EC. Eleven EC students graduated. One decided to take sabbatical.
Abdul Raof (EP69, GBNF)
- Abdul Roaf is the younger brother of Saya S Kyaw Aye.
- He is a senior in the Class of 69.
U Myint Maung (EP69)
- He is fondly called “Bu”.
- He played Volleyball.
- He is a junior in the Class of 69.
- He is an eligible bachelor.
Sai Kham Pan (EP69)
- He was Burma Selected in Badminton.
- He was Number Two in Singles and Number One with Sagaing Kyi Nyunt in Doubles.
U Sein Myint (EP69)
- He represented RIT in Rowing, Swimming and Water Polo.
- He is a major donor of the 69er HCF (Health Care Fund) and EE69er HCF.
- He lives in Singapore and often travels to Indonesia for business, and US and Yangon to spend quality time with his grand children.
- His daughter gave a soon kway at Half Moon Bay, California when his youngest grand child turned one year old.
- Present at the soon kwyay was U Thein Zaw (Joe Chow, EC68) & his spouse (niece of Saya U San Tun); U Tin Myint (John Lee, M69, GBNF) & Daw Lyo Kyin Sein (Mabel Lee, T69).
- He also attended NorCal RITAA gatherings.
In 1969, eleven students graduated with EC (Electrical Communications). Three are GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
- U Hla Min (Northern California, USA)
- Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw (Massachusetts, USA)
- U Toung (Connecticut, USA)
- Daw Tin Tin (Anne, Southern California, USA)
- U Oo Kyaw Hla (Canada?)
- U Win Boh (Robert, Australia)
- Saya U Than Lwin (Henry)
- U Maung Ko
- U Kyaw Soe (GBNF)
- U Aung Thu Yein (Brownie, GBNF)
- U Chit Tin (GBNF)
Zarnee Tun (EC78) wrote :
Nine years after Ec (Electronic) were 30 candidates for 78 batch. Me also one them Zarnee Tun nephew of saya U Ba Than & son of advocate U Tun Tin (Frankie Wong)
U Aung Thu Yein (Brownie Way, EC69, GBNF)
Collegiate Scholarship Winners from SPHS in 1963
The group photo shows :
Standing (L to R) :
- Hla Min (7th)
- Khin Maung Zaw (Frank Gale, 17th)
- Nyunt Wai (Victor Nyunt, 4th)
- Thein Wai (5th)
- Maung Maung Kyi (11th)
- Aung Thu Yein (Brownie Way, 13th)
- Aung Kyaw Zaw (Johnny Maung Maung, 9th)
Seated (L to R) :
- Min Oo (Kenneth Min Oo Khine, 2nd)
- Khin Maung U (George Khin Maung, 1st)
- Myo San (Freddie Ba San, 3rd)
Aung Thu Yein (Brownie Way, SPHS63, EC69, GBNF) is the younger brother of Dr. Thet Htar Way (GBNF).
He read notes to his best friend Nyunt Wai (Victor), who fell sick before the Matriculation examination.
Nyunt Wai stood 4th in the Matriculation examination. Aung Thu Yein stood 13th. Both won the Collegiate Scholarships of K75 per month along with eight of their classmates.
Studies and Career
He was one of the eleven students who graduated with EC (Electrical Communications) degree in 1969.
He is seen third from right in the back row of the Group Photo taken in 2009 (30th Anniversary of Graduation).
He played soccer for the F Block team. He can be seen third from left in the back row. Sad to note that Myint Thein (Kabar, M69, 2nd from left) and Tun Oo Khine (EP69, rightmost) are GBNF.
He worked at MOC and Schlumberger.
Smoking and Drinking
- Before attending RIT, he was a non-smoker and a non-drinker.
- He claimed that he started smoking at RIT to warn off mosquitoes in the rest room of the hostel.
- He accompanied some of his hostel friends to celebrate with drinks after taking the mid-term and final examinations.
During one of my visits to Yangon in 2012, Zau Lai picked me up first and then Brownie.
Brownie jumped into the car without changing into new clothes and without locking his home and gate. He trusted people.
Due to his medical conditions, his doctor has advised him to stop smoking and drinking.
Seeing his long lost friends and with the persuasion of Duwa Zau Lai, Brownie found an excuse to take a drink “just one more time”.
The Monthly Breakfast Gathering at Royal Rose (Taw Win Hnin Si) had bad news. We learned that Aung Thu Yein had slipped and fell a his home. His son (a medical doctor) rushed him to the RGH Neurological Ward.
After the gathering, several of us visited the RGH Neurological Ward.
I spent a few days as a temporary monk at Kaba Aye Sun Lun Gu Kyaung with U Wara (Win Paing, ChE70) as my preceptor.
The 69ers learned about the demise of Aung Thu Yein, but they chose not to inform me and disrupt my meditation practice at the monastery.
U Chit Tin (EC69, GBNF)
U Chit Tin (EC69, Nyaung Oo) succumbed to liver cancer on (9 November, 2017) 1:30 pm at his home. Per his wish, the services were performed the same day.
He worked for MOGE before moving to Singapore. After retirement, he moved back to Myanmar. He is the third of the EC69 to pass away.
I met him in Singapore and at the 69er Gatherings in Yangon.
Condolences can be found in “Gone But Not Forgotten” post.
From Ivan Lee
Dear 69er Classmates
We all are 70s, be aware of it. Recently and lately all we see our internal news is deepest condolences and sad events.
We are all on the same boat and not too much we can do against the natural phenomenon.
However what I would like to say is:
Yesterday, let bygone be bygone, forget it.
Today, our glory mature is at last moment, cherish it.
Tomorrow, right and wrong, up or down, wait and see it.
Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles us.
Ivan (M69), New Jersey, USA
Track and Field
- Ko Aung Gyi Shwe (GBNF)
- Ma Khin Than Myint Tin (Margaret)
- Sai Kham Pan (Burma selected)
- Ko Myint Sein
- Ko Bishnu Shahi
- Ko Soe Win (Captain of RIT team, GBNF)
- Ko Tommy (GBNF)
- Ko Han Sein (GBNF)
- Ma Lyo Kyin Sein
- Ko Aung Than
- Ko Tin Shein
- Ko Htin Aung
- Ko Hla Min (last elected EC of RUBC)
- Ko Sein Myint
- Ko Win Naing (Dicky, GBNF)
- Ko Win Maung (Lake)
- Ko Kyaw Sint (GBNF)
- Ko Myo Nyunt
- Ko Aung Gyi Shwe (GBNF)
Swimming and Water Polo
- Ko Htay Aung (Burma selected)
- Ko Sein Myint
- Ko Moe Hein
- Ko Hla Kyaing
- Ko Win Maung (Lake)
- Ko Han Sein (GBNF)
- Ko Tin Myint (GBNF)
- Ko Kyaw Sint (GBNF)
- Ko Kyaw Nyunt (GBNF)
- Saw Edison
- Sa Maung Maung
- Ko Myint Maung (Bu)
- Ko Aye Thein
Weightlifting and Body Building
- Ko Jimmy Kyin (GBNF)
- Ko Khin Win (GBNF)
- Ko Myint Soe
Some Health Problems
The following are old reports. Most have recovered.
U Myint Soe (M)
Ko Aung Min (M69, Chair, 69er HCF) wrote :
Ko Tin Mg Aye (M69) and I visited and encouraged Ko Myint Soe (M69) this afternoon (September 19, 2018). He fell down a few days ago.
We talked together for an hour.
He is fine and improving a lot.
He had to see his doctor this evening.
Ko Thein Swe (EP69, GBNF) wrote :
အာရုံေၾကာအားတိုးေဆး စားၾကပါ၊ Calcium + Vitamin D စားၾကပါ
ဒိန္ခ်ဥ္ေန႔စဥ္ေသာက္ပါ၊ 1 ft ထက္ပိုျမင့္တာကိုအလြတ္မတက္
ပါနဲ႔၊လက္ရမ္း handrail ကိုင္ၿပီး ေလွခါးတက္ပါ၊ Bathroom/
WC ကိုအတြင္းမွ ဂ်က္မထိုးရ၊ Lock မခ်ရ၊
Editor’s Note :
Some Senior Centers in the US offer a free course on “Maintaining Balance”.
U Kyaw Thein (C)
He got three stents inside his arteries at Kan Tharyar Hospital.
U Tin San (C, GBNF)
He was hospitalized for 4 days due to the gallstone problems.
U Myint Sein (M)
He suffered internal bleeding with black stool.
Mini-gathering in New Jersey, USA
U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan Lee, M69) was interviewed by a reporter for his experience as an amateur Real Estate developer. His daughter and son-in-law are among the top Real Estate developers in the East Coast. His grand daughter also wrote about Ivan’s life journey. Ivan has two daughters and six grand children.
Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69) is my classmate and my Sayagadaw. She visits New Jersey, UK and Singapore. Alice has three children and two grand children.
U Toung (Tom, EC69) has two children. He spends time in Hong Kong to be with his grand child.
Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw (EC69) is still working. He works on multiple projects. He has five children and four (and going) grand children.
For the past several years, Ivan has hosted the RIT-UCC gathering at his house in New Jersey, USA. The timing is chosen so that Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi and Saya U Soe Paing can participate. Ko Toung often hosts a second gathering (if he is not in Hong Kong). Frederick Thetgyi, Ko Sein Tin, Ko Aung Myint and several 69ers have attended one or more gatherings.
- Albert Kyaw Min (ChE69), Daniel Tint Lwin (M69) and Robert Win Boh (EC69) are guitarists and vocalists.
- Several musicians have retired : Ngwe Soe (Walter), Aung Khin, Tin Maung Aye, Than Myaing
- Daw Myint Myint (C69), U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan Lee, M69) and U Sein Myint (EP69) are the major donors to the 69er HCF (Health Care Fund).
- The Class has distributed the Address Book three (or more) times. The list was prepared by U Aung Min (M69) and team.
- Several 69ers are former sayas at RIT. They are busy during the SPZP season (especially November and December).