Update : January 19, 2022
- There is no unique way of writing Burmese names in English.
- Tun Aung Gyaw (TAG) and Htun Aung Kyaw (HAK) represent the same Burmese name.
- U TAG’s father (U Tun Hlaing) was a lawyer, a teacher and an expert in astrology.
- He chose to name his first “surviving” child using the naming convention for a name with three parts.
(DOW – 1) followed by DOW [Day of week] followed by (DOW + 1).
Since the son was born on Sunday (DOW = 1),
the name starts with (DOW-1) which is Saturday,
followed by DOW which is Sunday. and
followed by (DOW+1) which is Monday.
- Most Burmese names with two parts use one of the following :
DOW followed by (DOW + 1), which is most common,
DOW followed by (DOW + 3) or (DOW + 4).
- The use of naming conventions based on Numerology and/or Astrology results in many Burmese sharing the same name.
- Saya TAG was from Ma Hlaing (Meiktila).
- He received a Collegiate Scholarship and studied I.Sc.(A) at Mandalay University.
- Under the then new Education System, he was admitted to the first ever 2nd BE (Bachelor of Engineering) class at RIT (Rangoon Institute of Technology) with 300+ students.
- He was a top student for all the classes.
- He majored in Electrical Engineering with the EC (Electrical Communications) option.
- As a top graduate, he could have chosen to join several departments (RIT, MOC, PTC …).
- He decided to join the UCC Project as a volunteer (unpaid initially, and a “small” daily allowance of Three Kyats and 15 pyas).
- He learned several subjects on Computers and Computing.
- He taught the course “A First Course in Computer Science” based on the book by Forsythe et. al.
The course uses “Flow Charts” and Programming.
- He was determined to excel in Computer Science and complete Ph.D. (if there is opportunity).
- He joined UCC as one of the early employees and headed the Engineering team (under the tutelage of Saya Paing).
- Saya Chit offered him 24 + months of UN Fellowship :
first for Hardware Training at ICLETC (International Computers Limited Engineering Training Center) and then study for M.Sc. (Computer Science) at the now defunct ICS (Institute of Computer Science), University of London.
- The higher authorities “decided” that the Hardware Engineers should be present at the installation and commissioning of the ICL Computer System and then stay on to maintain the system.
- Saya TAG must have felt intense pain.
- Saya served as
Manager of Systems Division,
Associate Professor at DCS (Department of Computer Science),
Associate Professor and Head of Hardware at ICST (Institute of Computer Science and Technology).
- Saya wanted to pursue his academic dream, but again the higher authorities “decided” that he should go for a higher paying fellowship, but forgo his academic dreams.
/* Please ask Saya for details of the events following the above episode */
- Saya’s perseverance paid off with a Doctorate in Computer Science from UIUC (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign).
- He is still working on multiple projects.
- He and his spouse Daw Khin Khin Maw have celebrated their Golden Anniversary with their five children (two sons and three daughters) and six grandchildren.
Categories: UCC Memories