Update : January 18, 2022
- He is the only son of Saya U Ba Hla, first native Dean of Engineering.
- He received Sc.D. (Doctor of Science) from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
At MIT, Saya helped “fresh” scholars including Saya Dr. Aung Gyi and Saya U Min Wun acclimatize with the environment and studies.
- He taught part-time at the Electrical Engineering Department while serving as DG (Director General) of UBARI (Union of Burma Applied Research Institute).
- He retired as Advisor for the Ministry of National Planning.
- Saya was a supporter of UCC Project and served as a member of the Board of Directors and as an External Examiner for the Computer Science graduates.
- Saya’s spouse (Daw Myint Thwe) is the younger sister of Saya U Tin U and Saya U Ba Than.
- They have three children :
Tin Tn Hlaing (UCC), Tha Hlaing (EC83, UCC) and Min Thet Tun (GBNF)
- Htay Aung (Victor, EC80) is a nephew of Saya U Sein Hlaing.
He is the spouse of Ma Tin Tin Hlaing.
Htay Aung and team “programmed” a PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory) to print Burmese characters on the Cromemco System Three micro-computer.
He worked on Burmese Word Processing for Wang Computers.
He migrated to Australia. For the past few years, he came back to Yangon to volunteer as an interpreter for the “10-day Mediation Retreat for Foreign Yogis” at the Mahasi Sasana Yeik Tha.
- Tha Hlaing stood Joint First with Thaung Tin (KMD) in EC83.
- During my visit to Sydney (Australia) in 2006, Saya Zaw hosted a UCC reunion and mini-PZP (Pu Zaw Pwe) for Saya Freddie and Saya Chit.
Categories: UCC Memories