Update : January 17, 2022
- At UCC, we would call the Founders as Saya Chit, Saya Paing, Saya Myo and Saya Lay.
- Saya Dr. Chit Swe Founder / Director passed away in Sydney in 2019.
- Saya U Ko Ko Lay was the earliest to pass away.
He also had the longest tenure at UCC, DCS and ICST
- Saya U Soe Paing retired from UN after advising / managing IT projects in several countries.
- Saya U Myo Min retired after working in Singapore and USA.
- One day, the people on the UCC ferry shouted, “Saya Paing”.
To their amazement, ICS U Paing came out.
U Paing’s spouse Daw Oo Yin is the daughter of Sir Po Tha and Lady Tha.
- Saya U Soe Paing is the second son of U Paing.
- Saya and his siblings Dr. Myo Paing, U Win Paing (Sayadaw U Wara, ChE70) and U Kyaw Paing (Putra Cup Player) are excellent golfers and Champions at RGC (Rangoon Golf Club) and BGC (Burma Golf Club).
- Saya Paing matriculated from SPHS (St. Paul’s High School) in 1956 along with Saya Lay, U Win Htein (PWD), Bohmu Percy Maung Maung (Navy), U Ba Min (Mathematics / Astronomy), U Than Se (Richard, ChE62) …
- Saya Paing stood 13th in Matriculation and was awarded Collegiate Scholarship.
- Saya won two Gold Medals
(a) for the highest Total Score in Combined I.Sc.
(b) joint 1st in I.Sc. examination for the highest marks in Mathematics (with Dr. Tin Win (M62) and another student).
- Saya rowed and coxed at RUBC.
Saya won prizes including the Inter-Hall Fours.
- Saya was selected as a States Scholar to attend Stanford University along with Saya Lay and U Percy.
- Saya received his BS and MS in EE (Electrical Engineering).
- Saya did programming for his studies and also worked part-time as computer operator.
- Upon his return to Burma, Saya joined the EE Department as Assistant Lecturer.
His sponsor was UBARI.
- At a research congress held in the Main Campus, Saya presented a paper covering Digital Logic and Circuits.
Saya Chit was impressed.
Through Saya U Nyi Nyi (EE Instructor now in UK), Saya Paing gained contact with Saya Chit.
The rest is history.
- Saya Paing promised to recruit his top students to join the UCC Project, but the long delay of the Project to get funded made the task difficult.
Note : Saya TAG is the first and longest volunteer of UCC. He taught “A First Course in Computer Science” to selected students and sayas. Kudos to U TAG. He succeeded Saya Paing as Systems Manager, and later served as Associate Professor at DCS (Department of Computer Science) and Head of Hardware Technology at ICST (Institute of Computer Science and Technology).
- Saya Paing did another Masters (this time in Computer Science) at Southampton University in UK.
- For a detailed story of Saya’s life and work at RIT, UCC and overseas as a UN Advisor, read his articles in English and Burmese. They are available in SCRIB_D.
- Saya was my mentor at RIT and UCC.
- Sayagadaw Alice (Saw Yu Tint, T69) was my classmate at RIT.
- They have two sons and a daughter, and two grandchildren.
- They have hosted several UCC mini-gatherings at their house.
- At one of the gatherings in 2007, Ko Htin Kyaw not only attended the gathering, but gave me a ride back home.
- Saya used to meditate and play golf.
- Due to medical problems, he had to pause the activities for some time.
- Saya and Ma Alice usually spend time in Yangon, UK and USA.
- Ivan Lee (M69) would usually host RIT-UCC Gatherings at his New Jersey home when both Saya Dr. Aung Gyi and Saya Paing are visiting East Coast.
Categories: UCC Memories