Update : December 17, 2021
- MEHS :
Methodist English High School
- SH :
- SJC :
St. John’s Convent
- Dio :
St. John’s Diocesan Boys’ high School
- SPHS :
St. Paul’s High School
- SPM :
St. Peter’s High School, Mandalay
- TTC :
Teachers’ Training College Practicing School
- YM :
- U Kyaw Myint (Bar-at-law) stood First in Burma with distinction in all subjects.
He matriculated from “Government High School”.
He served as Dean of Law, Supreme Court Justice, and Head of Tribunal that tried Galon U Saw.
For details, see posts by his son Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint
- U Ba Khin (SPHS) stood First in Burma.
He was the first native Auditor General. He also headed three other Departments.
His Vipassana Mentor was Saya Thet (Ledi Sayadaw Lineage).
His Vipassana Mentee was S N Goenka.
- U Ba Than (Dio) won Collegiate Scholarship in the Matriculation of 1947.
He won Gold Medal for scoring highest marks in the Intermediate College examinations in 1948 and 1949.
He retired as Professor of Mechanical Engineering.
- U Khin Aung Kyi (Central, GBNF) stood 7th in Burma and won Collegiate Scholarship in the Matriculation of 1949.
He retired as Rector of Rangoon Institute of Technology.
- George Chapman (SPHS) : First in Burma
- Dr. Nyunt Tin (SPHS, GBNF) : First in Burma / FRCP
- Dr. Myo Tint (TTC, GBNF) : Third / Retired MS of Thingangyun Hospital
- Dr. Hla Shwe (Boon Chiong, YM) : First in Burma / Physics / Moved to USA
- U Ohn Khin (YM) : Second
- Koon Yin Chu (Phillip Chu, SPHS) : First / Architect / Moved to USA
- Dr. Tin Myo Than (TTC) : Second / Psychiatrist / Moved to USA
- Lily Hwang (MEHS) : First in Burma
- Ye Myint (SPM) : First in Burma
- Thaung Tin (SPM) : Second
- Khin Maung Than (SPM) : Joint Third
- Dr. Than Myint (Harry Wang, SPHS) : Joint Third / Physics Honors / moved to USA
- Dr. Htin Kyaw (Hein Kyu, SH) : First in Burma / Physics Honors
- Dr. Nellie Liu (MEHS) : Second
- Dr. Htin Aung (Hein Pu, SH, GBNF) : Sixth / Physics Honors / Moved to Japan
- Dr. Soe Win (SPHS) : First in Burma / Chemistry Honors / Retired Rector of YUFL
- Robert Sein (SPHS) : Second / Physics Honors
- Myint Myint Tin (Pearl Ba Tin, MEHS) : Third
- Dr. Hla Ngwe Tin (Frankie Ohn, SPHS) : First in Burma/ Physics Honors / Founded company in US
- Dr. Shewan Lee (SPHS) : Second / Chemistry / California Institute of Technology
- Dr. Than Nwe Aung (SPHS) : Third / MBBS
- “Rocky” (Koon Yin Chu’s younger brother) : Joint 4th / Doctor
- Oo Oo Tha (GBNF) : Joint 4th / Mathematics Honors / Tuition Saya
- Dr. Austin Kyan (MEHS) : First in Burma
- Dr. Nyan Win : Second
- Arthur Hla Maung (GBNF) : Third
- Marie Nyun : Fourth
- Indian lady : Fifth
- Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint (SPHS) : Sixth / Retired from UN
- Lina Ong (MEHS) : First in Burma
- Dr. Robin Ban (Kyaw Win, SPHS) : Second
- In the previous years, the combined High School Final and Matriculation examination was held.
- Separate Matriculation examination started in 1962.
- Due to changes in the Education system, the following students had to take the first ever High School Final ONLY examination in 1962 and then take the Matriculation ONLY examination in 1963.
- Dr. Khin Maung U (SPHS) : First in Burma / MD / Retired from FDA
- Dr. Min Oo (SPHS) : Second / Retired Mathematics Professor from Canada
- Dr. Myo San (Freddie Ba San, GBNF) : Third
- Dr. Nyunt Wai (Victor Nyunt) : Fourth / Retired after teaching in Malaysia
- Dr. Thein Wai (SPHS) : Fifth / Moved to USA
- Kenny Wong (MEHS) : Sixth / Mechanical / Moved to USA
- Hla Min (SPHS) : Seventh / Computer Science
- Dr. Winnie Aung (Branch Convent) : Eighth
- Dr. Johnny Maung Maung (Aung Kyaw Zaw, SPHS) : Ninth
- Maung Maung Kyi (SPHS) : Eleventh / Chemical / Moved to Wales, UK
- Dr. Khin Tun (Dio) : Twelfth
- Aung Thu Yein (Brownie Way, SPHS, GBNF) : Thirteenth / Electrical
- Dr. Frank Gale (Khin Maung Zaw, SPHS) : Seventeenth / Moved to UK
- Dr. Cherry Hlaing (St. John’s Convent) : Joint First in Burma with Raw Marks / Admitted as Roll Number One to IM(1) using ILA
- Dr. Lyn Aung Thet (MEHS) : Joint First / Lost tie breaker with ILA / Moved to USA
- Dr. Aung Win Chiong (SPHS) : Third (in raw marks) / Admitted as Roll Number One to IM(2) using ILA /Moved to USA
- Indian Lady : Fourth
- Dr. Min Lwin (Maurice Hla Kyi, SPHS) : Fifth (in raw marks) / Admitted as Roll Number Two to IM(2) using ILA / Practice in UK and Myanmar
- Bernard Khaw (SPHS) : First in Burma / Four distinctions including a high score (80+ marks) in English / Due to the rule changes, he could not apply for the professional courses. / Left to study and work in North America (USA and Canada)
- Maung Aye (SPHS) : Second in Burma Younger of the two twins / Both completed their doctorates in the USA
- Winston Sein Maung (SPHS, GBNF) : Third in Burma (in raw marks) / Admitted as Roll Number (22) to IM(1) using ILA
- Cherry Than Tin @ May Kyi Nyein : Fourth (in raw marks) / Admitted as Roll Number One to IM(2) using ILA
- Yi Thway (Edwin Ba Hein, SPHS, GBNF) : Joint Fifth (in raw marks) / Admitted as Roll Number One to IM(1) using ILA / Moved to UK
- Paing Soe (Freddie San Shwe, SPHS) : Joint Fifth (in raw marks) / Admitted as Roll Number Two to IM(1) using ILA / Retired as Deputy Minister of Health
- 44 students from SPHS were admitted to the Medical College / Institute.
Some Photos from 1963
Thanks for the feedback / information
- Thit Yine mentioned that Boon Chiong (Dr. Hla Shwe, Yegyaw Methodist) stood First in Burma in the Matriculation of 1953.
- Sayama Daw Tin Tin Maw (MEHS57) told me at the Hta Pa Na Peik Ceremony at Sae Taw Win 2 Dhamma Center in Sebastapol, California that her elder sister Lily Hwang (MEHS55) stood First in Burma in the Matriculation of 1955.
- Several Peterites provided the names of the Top Three Peterites in the Matriculation of 1956.
They stood First, Second and Joint Third in Burma.
- Sayama Daw May Saw Lwin (MEHS57) mentioned that Dr. Htin Kyaw (Sacred Heart57) stood first and that his elder twin brother Dr. Htin Aung (Sacred Heart57, GBNF) stood sixth in the Matriculation of 1957.
Nellie Liu (MEHS57) stood Second.
- Saya Dr. Soe Win (SPHS58) mentioned that Daw Myint Myint Tin (Pearl Ba Tin, MEHS58) stood Third in the Matriculation of 1958.
- Dr. Tin Wa (SPHS57) added the names of the four top students led by his younger brother Dr. Frankie Ohn (Hla Tin Ngwe) in the Matriculation of 1959.
- Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint (SPHS60) mentioned several top students in the Matriculation of 1960.
- Dr. Swe Khin Tun (spouse of Dr. Nyi Thet Lwin) mentioned that her father Dr. Khin Tun (St. John’s Diocesan) stood 12th in the Matriculation of 1963.
- Dr. Aung Win and Dr. Min Lwin (both SPHS64) mentioned the use of raw marks and ILA in the Matriculation of 1964.
- Bernard Khaw (SPHS65) and several of his classmates mentioned the top students in the Matriculation of 1965.
There are differences in ordering : one using Raw Marks and the other using ILA.
e.g. Winston Sein Maung (GBNF) stood Third in Burma using Raw Marks, but he was admitted as Roll Number 22 to IM(1) using ILA.
- Dr. Richard Yu Khin (MEHS61) provided the following information
1954 – Second in Burma – Dr. Tin Myo Than (TTC) – Florida Freedom Fighters.
1955 – First – Lily Hwang (MEHS) – Doctor in Arizona
1957 – 2nd – Nellie Liu (MEHS) – Doctor in USA – younger sister of Ko Thein Lwin (Singapore Polytechnic)
1960 – First – Austin Kyan (MEHS) – Doctor in Singapore
1960 – Second – Dr. Nyan Win (MEHS) – Doctor in USA– better known as Sanjai Lun Pe at MEHS.
1961 – First – Lina Ong (MEHS) – Doctor in Hong Kong
1961 – Second – Dr. Robin Ban – sat next to Eddie & Dr. Thein Htut at Eddie’s 77th Birthday Party in Brisbane, Australia
1963 – 6th Kenny Wong (MEHS) – came with Dr. Jenny Lim, Dr. Primrose Chaudhuri & Lt. Commander Dr. Ivan Teoh (USN) to visit me at my office at University of Texas in 1971.
Family of First in Burma
Four Generations and Five Members (headed by U Hoke Sein) stood First in Burma (which is literally unbeatable).
U Hoke Sein (Compiler of Pali-English-Burmese Dictionary)
Son : U Saw Hlaing
Grand daughter : Dr. Cherry Hlaing
Two Great Grand Children
Categories: Begin with J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q