Update : December 13, 2021
U Wun (Minthuwun), U Khin Zaw (“K”) and U Thein Han (Zawgyi)
- U Khin Zaw founded BBS (Burma Broadcasting Service, Myanmar Ah Than) and served as its Director.
- Earlier, he was Chief Librarian of Rangoon University Library.
- U Thein Han studied Burmese and Library Science.
For many years, he served as Chief Librarian of Rangoon University Library and Rangoon University Central Library (RUCL).
- U Wun headed the Translation Department at Rangoon University.
- He served as Professor of Burmese at RU, and as Visiting Professor at Osaka University.
- He is a Lexicographer.
He compiled the Myanmar Abhidan.
He worked with Professor Harada (Chit Man Nwe) and team on the Japanese-Burmese Dictionary.
- Zawgyi and Minthuwun are Laureate Poets.
They co-founded Khit San Sar Pay with Theikpan Maung Wa (ICS U Sein Tin).
The three were the early students of Saya U Pe Maung Tin (Pali and Burmese Scholar, first native Principal of Rangoon College).
- In the early days, some Faculties of RU had libraries.
- Under the then new Education System, most Universities and Institutes had their libraries.
- The main library was known as RUCL (RU Central Library).
- Saya Zawgyi has a bust honoring him as the Librarian of RU Library and RUCL.
- Daw Myint Myint Khin and U Thaw Kaung were Assistant Librarians for the Faculty of Social Science.
- Daw Myint Myint became RIT Librarian.
- U Thaw Kaung became RUCL Librarian.
- U Khin Zaw was assisted by his cousin U Pe Thaw and his wife.
- U Than Myint was his mentee.
- U Kyaw Nyein, U Hla Bu & Daw Olive, Alison Tun Ngwe, Daw Than Hnit and others produced high quality programs.
- Several BBS members were offered assignments and permanent positions at BBC and VOA.
- “K” wrote a semi-autobiography in “Burma In My Time”.
- The title had to be changed “Myanmar In My Time” for the reprint.
- Ko Wint Khin Zaw mailed me a copy of his father’s book.
- “K” provided the music and some translations for “Maung Khway Boh” nursery songs.
- The work is based on kabyars by Minthuwun.
- Dalaban (U Htin Kyaw) wrote several articles about his father Minthuwun (e.g Burmese terms for RU, Departments and Disciplines).
- Minthuwun compiled a list of Outstanding Burmans (in their fields).
- Aspiring poets studied “Su Tu Pyu” and other books by Minthuwun.
- Zawgyi’s kabyars are recited around the world not only by renowned speakers but also children (e.g contest for reciting kabyars).
- There is a PBS documentary about Saya’s famous kabyar (Bedar Lann) with the translation by Dr. Lyn Swe Aye.
Burmese Sayas and Sayamas
- Many Burmese Sayas and Sayamas are distinguished authors.
- U Pe Maung Tin
- U E Maung (Thant Sin) & Daw Khin Mya Mu (Kyauksar)
- U Chan Mya (Mya Ketu)
- U Toe Aung (Kutho)
- U Kyaw Yin (Rector)