Update : October 20, 2021
Association of Engineers in Burma
after World War
- There were interviews for the HMEE-2012 project.
- The account was retold by Saya U Tin U and recorded by Saya U Ba Than.
- Re-instituted about 1955-56
- President :
Sayagyi U Ba Hli (Dean of Engineering, University of Rangoon, GBNF)
- Honorary Secretary :
Saya U Soon Sein (Professor, Mining, GBNF)
- Honorary Treasurer :
Saya U Tin U (Part time Lecturer, Civil)
U Tin U
- Matriculated from St. John’s Dio in 1946.
- Attended the University of Rangoon before going for studies in the USA.
- Captain and Gold of Rangoon University Boat Club in 1948.
Represented RUBC in the Independence Day Regatta at Kandawgyi in 1948 along with Dr. Pe Nyun, Dr. Pe Thein and Khin Maung Wint (Bobby).
- Received BCSE from the University of Oregon and MCSE from Yale University.
- Upon his return to Burma, he worked in the industry and taught part-time at the Civil Engineering department.
- Also served as Captain of Rangoon Golf Club.
- Celebrated his 92nd birthday in August 2021.
U Ba Than
- Matriculated from St. John’s Dio in 1947.
- Won Collegiate Scholarship.
- Won the Gold Medal for scoring the highest marks in the Intermediate of Science examination.
- RUBC Full Green
- Studied Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College, University of London.
- Joined the Faculty of Engineering as Assistant Lecturer.
- As a requirement for promotion, he did his Masters at Imperial College.
- Retired as Professor of Mechanical Engineering.
- Saya is an early supporter of the HMEE-2012 project.
Donated his photo albums.
Cooperated with U Thaw Kaung to allow Saya U Soe Paing and his team to access the archives of Rangoon University Central Library.
- Before the pandemic, he invited former colleagues and students to his Birthday Soon Kyaw at Yaw Sayadaw’s Monastery.
- He donated back all of the Garawa Money to various social and religious associations.
- Celebrated his 91st birthday in October 2021.
Categories: RIT Saya