Update : October 20, 2021
- R.U. Society of Electrical Engineering Students
- Association of Engineers in Burma after the Second World War
- Swel Daw Yeik Foundation (SDYF)
- Burmese American Professional Society (BAPS)
- RIT Alumni International
- NorCal RITAA
- Burmese American Society for Engineers and Scientists (BASES)
- Myanmar Engineering Society (MES)
- RIT Buddhist Association
- Theravada Buddhist Society of America (TBSA)
- Tathagata Meditation Center (TMC)
R.U. Society of Electrical Engineering Students
Executive Committee (1960 – 61)
Burmese Society of Civil Engineers
Working Committee (Founded 1959)
Association of Engineers in Burma after the Second World War
The account was retold by Saya U Tin U and recorded by Saya U Ba Than.
- Re-instituted about 1955-56
- President : Sayagyi U Ba Hli, Dean of Engineering, University of Rangoon
- Honorary Secretary : Saya U Soon Sein (Professor, Mining)
- Honorary Treasurer : Saya U Tin U (Part time Lecturer, Civil)
During the Adhamma Era, many associations (especially student and alumni organizations) were not allowed.
With the dawning of the Pwint Linn Era, RIT-YIT-YTU Alumni Association was allowed to register, but many alumni were not aware of the association and its objectives. Only a few (mostly members of the “80000 YaThay”) actively participated in the formative events. There was virtually no fund to operate.
Then, things started to click.
- Space for the Alumni Association was provided by YTU
- Donations — large and small — were received (mostly for the YTU Library Modernization Project which is a requirement for the Accreditation)
- Membership (Life membership for K60000) grew.
- Saya’s Corner was established.
- Staff and Volunteers helped with the regular and ad hoc projects
- Young alumni came forward to help with the leadership
RITAA (formally known as RIT-YIT-YTU RIT Alumni Association) has conducted the AGM (Annual General Meeting). The Interim Committee headed by U Tin Latt (M85) is to be congratulated for the work being done.
The AGM elected U Myo Aye (M94) as President for the term 2018 – 2020.
Swel Daw Yeik Foundation
SDYF provides Annual Medical Check up for eligible sayas and sayamas.
SDYF also provides some financial assistance to eligible sayas and sayamas.
When a Saya or Sayama passes away, SDYF offers 2 Lakh Kyats to the bereaved family.
SDYF offers 4 Lakh Kyats to eligible sayas and sayamas
- for Hospitalization
- for frequent medical check ups
- for severe loss of mobility
SDYF also considers case-by-case for sayas and sayamas needing financial assistance for health care.
U Khin Maung Tun is the President and major donor of SDYF.
Burmese American Professional Society (BAPS)
With the approval of Sayagyi U Aung Khin, BEA (mostly RIT alumni) and BASTS (younger engineers and scientists) merged to become BAPS.
Saya U Nyo Win (M65), Benny Tan (M70) and Maurice Chee (M75) served as President of BAPS.
U Aung Myint (Henry Lim) served as Chief Editor of BAPS Newsletter.
Saya U Thein Aung (Met72) was Burmese Language Editor.
They would volunteers as Editor of the commemorative issue of “RIT Alumni International Newsletter” for SPZP-2000.
I served as Contributor for BAPS Newsletter and as Chief Editor of RIT Alumni International Newsletter.
RIT Alumni International
The Association was formed by members of the San Francisco Bay Area Group led by Saya Allen Htay (C58) with the main objective to host the First RIT Grand Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe in 2000.
There are several posts about SPZPs.
The Association was formed to revive the RIT-related activities in Northern California.
- Scholarship for eligible children of Alumni attending a US University
- Scholarship for eligible students attending YTU
- Training Component of the YTU Library Modernization Project
- Additional donation for the YTU Library Modernization Project
Past Presidents : Saya U Maung Maung (George, ChE66), U Kaung Kaung Oo (Gordon, M83)
President : U Aung Myint Oo (EC84)
Past Chair of BOD : Stan Liou (M67)
Chair of BOD : Saya U Myat Htoo (C68)
Burmese American Society for Engineers and Scientists (BASES)
The Association was founded by Saya U Tin Htut (M60), U Tin Htway (M59) and U Tun Tin (David).
It is based in Southern California.
Past Presidents : Saya U Tin Htut, U Tin Htway, U Tun Tin, Saya Dr. Tin Win (M62), Saya Dr. Chris Lee (M59), U Khin Maung Lay (T68), U Thura Thant Zin (M76)
President : U Tin Nwe (Milton Sein, C68)
Myanmar Engineering Society (MES)
Myanmar Engineering Society is a Non-Profit Organization. It is not an Alumni Association, but several sayas and alumni served as EC members.
Past Presidents : Dr. Sein Myint, Saya U Nyi Hla Nge, U Than Myint, U Han Zaw, U Win Khine
RIT Buddhist Association
Some sayas served as Patrons of the RIT Buddhist Association. Some alumni served as EC members.
- Saya Dr. Thein Hlyne
- Saya U Sein Maung (EE63)
- Saya U Lin (M66)
- Saya U Tin Shwe (EP66, GBNF)
- Saya U Soe Myint (Min83)
- U Kyi Twe (A70)
- U Myint Soe (M79)
- U Sein Win (C80)
- U Maung Maung Lay
The Association’s activities include
- Kathein robe offering
- Library of Buddhist books
- Ovada of sayas and sayamas
The RIT Buddhist Association published two books for SPZP-2012.
- Collection of the Ovada (Exhortations) of the sayas and sayamas [mostly Professor and/or Head of Departments or their representatives] given at the “Arcariya Pu Zaw Pwes” at RIT/YIT.
- History and the activities of the RIT Buddhist Association. Contributors include Saya Dr. Thein Hlyne, Saya U Sein Maung, Saya U Linn. Saya U Soe Myint, and several EC members (notably U Maung Maung Lay and spouse).
Theravada Buddhist Society of America (TBSA)
TBSA was formed to support the Dhammananda Vihara and its activities.
During a Dhamma Duta mission in 1979, Mahasi Sayadawgyi agreed to leave two sayadaws to carry out the missionary work in the US.
Sayadaw U Silanandabhivamsa’s life and accomplishments have been recorded in the
- Dhammananda Newsletters
- TBSA website
- Commemorative book (“Maw Gun Win Sar Saung”)
- DVDs about Sayadaw’s “Last Journey” and his lifelong achievements (including the first Rectorship of IMBTU).
TBSA hosts several events every year.
- Htamane Pwe and Ovada Patimauk Ceremony
- Myanmar New Year (Thingyan Festival)
- Full Moon Day of May (Thrice Blessed Day)
- Waso robe offering
- Thadinkyut Festival
- Tazaungdaing Festival
- Monthly weekend retrea
- Long term retreats
- Summer Dhamma Camp for youths
Tathagata Meditation Center (TMC)
I was a volunteer Translator/Interpreter for Meditation Retreats at Tathagata Meditation Center (TMC).
TMC provided several books as Dhamma Dana.