Update : October 18, 2021
- During our younger days, three sayas — Dr. Hla Shwe (Boon Chiong, First in Burma in 1953 from Yegyaw Methodist), Dr. Tin Maung and Dr. Tin Aung — came back after completing their doctorate in Physics from the USA.
Dr. Hla Shwe and Dr. Tin Maung founnd their way back to the USA.
Dr. Tin Aung stayed.
- He served as Professor and Head of the Physics Department at RU.
- During the 8-8-88 movement, Saya was in the USA as a member of the Education Delegation (with U Tun Aung Chein, Professor of History).
Saya might not be aware that he was made a Patron (in absentia) by the “Boycott / Strike Committee” of Sayas and Sayamas of the various Universities and Institutions.
- Upon his return, Saya attended the meeting of the Department Heads of RU.
I was present at the meeting as a Proxy for my Head of Department.
- Sometime later, we had the sad news.
Saya was asked to resign effectively immediately.
- Saya’s health was reasonably good except for his need of a Pace Maker.
A couple of years back, he had to replace the Pace Maker.
His former students worldwide donated for his medical expenses.
- One photo is from the RU Centennial Facebook Group.
- Two photos are from Sayama Daw Thida (who helped publish the RU Physics Centennial Book).
- Shwe Than Thida wrote : Dear Saya U Hla Min,Thank you very much for your valuable compilations.
Categories: RU Saya