Update : October 17, 2021
The Burmese classify musical instruments as
- Tha Yay
- Let Khoke
- Burmese Saing Waing has Jazz as a distant cousin.
The musicians perform extemporaneously.
- Burmese Dobat was common
e.g. in Thingyan and Ah Hlu
Philharmonic orchestras have various sections. e.g. Wind, Brass
There are String Quartets
During our younger days, most pop bands had
- Lead guitar
- Rhythm guitar
- Bass guitar
There are a variety of guitars
- 12 string
Some musicians play multiple instruments (e.g. at different times).
- Paul McCartney usually plays the Bass guitar, but he sometimes also plays the piano.
- George Harrison usually plays the Rhythm guitar, but he sometimes also plays the sitar.
- U Aunt Gyi usually plays the Accordion, but he sometimes also plays the piano and the guitar.
A few play two instruments (e.g. harmonica & guitar) at the same time.
During our younger days, several foreign bands and musicians visited Burma
- Benny Goodman (saxophone) and his band
- Duke Ellington and his band
- 13th US Air Force band
- Musicians (via the Cultural Exchange Program)
There are advances in musical instruments.
- The Synthesizer can simulate many musical instruments.
- Composition and play back of musical instruments can be done with the aid of MIDI.