Update : October 16, 2021
Sayas U Moe Aung, U Kyaw Sein, U Ohn Maung
- U Moe Aung (EE63) lost mobility for a while, but has recovered. Saya is active writing articles and poems, and giving lectures at Electrical Inspectorate.
- U Kyaw Sein (M65, GBNF) was active with RIT-related Facebook pages.
- U Ohn Maung (ChE68) has a medical condition (e.g. memory loss).
Swel Daw Yeik Foundation (SDYF) provides annual Garawa money to Saya U Kyaw Sein and Saya U Ohn Maung for their health care.
U Khin Maung Tun (T78, SDYF)
- U Khin Maung Tun is President of Swel Daw Yeik Foundation
- Donated K2000+ Lakhs to SDYF and RIT-related activities
- Hosted lunch meetings for SDYF
- During his visit to the 2012 RIT Alumni Reunion in Los Angeles, he gave me an MP3 player loaded with dhamma talks
U Myo Myint (Bagyee, M73)
- U Myo Myint (M73) is a retired Dy GM of Burma Railways.
- Drew cover designs for the RIT Annual Magazines and the commemorative Swel Daw Yeik Magazines.
- Drew Pon Tus of many sayas and sayamas, and selected friends.
- Donated proceeds of the paintings from his Gallery at the SPZP to Swel Daw Yeik Foundation and RIT Alumni Association.
U Myint Swe (EP74)
- U Myint Swe (EP74) wored in Singapore and US
- Founding member of NorCal RITAA.
- Served as Secretary of NorCal RITAA
- Current Vice President of NorCal RITAA
U Aung Myint Oo (EC84) and U Tin Maung Win (C86)
- U Aung Myint Oo (EC84, UCC) is a founding member of NorCal RITAA
President of NorCal RITAA.
- U Tin Maung Win (C86) is a founding member of NorCal RITAA
Secretary of NorCal RITAA
He and his spouse sponsored scholarship for an eligible YTU student
U Tin Maung Aye Htoo
- U Tin Maung Aye Htoo and fellow alumni in Nay Pyi Taw raised fund for Alumni Association in general and the YTU Library Project in particular
- Handed over the donations to Nan Khin Nwe
U Thant Zin (M82), U Ohn Khine (M70), U Zaw Win (Min71)
- U Thant Zin (M82) is the son of Saya U Sein Shan (GBNF).
Volunteer for SPZP, RITAA, HMEE and All-Mechanical
- U Ohn Khine (M70) is the founder / moderator of the Google group for “Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65”
During my visits, he provided rides to attend SPZP and HMEE meetings and to selected gatherings
Translated Section One of the HMEE-2012 Book, and summarized Section Two of the book
He and I compiled the CD Supplement for the HMEE-2012 Book
- U Zaw Win (Zinyaw gyi, Min71) is an organizer for the “Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65”.
- Photo was taken at the special Reunion and Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe hosted by U Thaung Sein (Steeve Kay, EC70)
U Tin Myint (M75, GBNF)
U Tin Myint (M75, Singapore) is seen handing over his donation to Nan Khin Nwe.
Dr. San Oo (EP67) and Daw Than Yi (EP70)
- Daw Than Yi (Maubin Ma Shwe Than, EP70) is an author and publisher
- Served as Editor of “Hlyat Sit Sar Saung” published by RIT EE Association along with Dr. San Oo (EP67)
- Blogged about her days at RIT and EPC
- She and Dr. San Oo re-published a book by Journal Kyaw Tint Swe (Dr. San Oo’s father) and published a book by William (their eldest Myee).
U Myo Aye (M92) and U Tin Latt (M85)
- U Tin Latt headed the Executive Committee of RITAA for the initial period
- The torch was passed to U Myo Aye after the First Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Election
- U Wynn Htain Oo is Patron and Fund raiser of RITAA
U Hla Kyi (M62)
- U Hla Kyi (M62) is a class mate of Saya Dr. Tin Win
- His daughter’s spouse is the son of Saya U Hlwan Moe and Sayama Daw Emily Ba Aye.
- Photo (taken during U Hla Kyi’s visit to Southern California) was provided by Saya U Tin Htut (M60).
U Thaung Lwin (EC66)
- U Thaung Lwin (EC66) is the younger brother of Saya U Tin U, Saya U Ba Than, Dr. Myo Tint, U Tin Htoon (A60), and Saya U Myo Min (UCC)
- Past Captain and Gold of RUBC like U Tin U, Dr. Myo Tint and U Tin Htoon.
U Ba Than and U Myo Min are RUBC Full Green.
- Classmates : Aung Min, Soe Lwin, Khin Maung Oo (Robert Gale)
- Worked for IBM Burma and Chartered Semiconductors in Singapore
- 69ers have monthly breakfast gathering (usually at Taw Win Hnin Si)
- Also have ad hoc meetings (e.g. Annual Dinner at M3)
- Pay homage to Saya U Ba Than on or around October 2nd
- U Tin Shein (“Phone Gyi”, Chinlon) and U Pe Han Tun are Khamee Khamet
- One photo shows Tin Aung Win (Oscar), Tin Maung Aye, Aye Thein, David Myint Thein, Aye Lwin
- U Tun Tin handed over the donation of his friends (some in Australia) to Daw Khin Kyi Foundation
- Celebrated the 30th Anniversary of Graduation in 1999, 40th Anniversary of Graduation in 2009, 50th Anniversary of Admission to RIT in 2014, and the True Golden Jubilee (50th Anniversary of Graduation) on December 14, 2019
- 88 members including Shastri are GBNF
U Than Tun (A65)
- U Than Tun (A65) is the elder brother of U San Maung (A7x) and a nephew of Sayadaw U Silananda.
- He read the biography of Saya U Tha Tun (pioneer Burmese architect) and co-authored the article with Saya Dr. Koung Nyunt (A67).
- He visited Saya U Myat Htoo (C68) in Northern California.
- U Myat Htoo took U Than Tun on a lightning trip to Southern California to meet U Tin Htoon (A60) ad back to Dhammananda Vihara, Half Moon Bay, Northern California.
U Thar Htay, Benny, U Thant Zin, U Hla Win, U Myint Toe
U Thaung Sein (Steeve Kay, EC70) requested Benny Tan (M70) to hold — on his behalf — a special Reunion and Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe in December 2016.
U Khin Maung Lay (Myanmar HRC member) served as Master of Ceremonies.
I recounted Steeve’s philanthropy in general and to his alma mater and alumni in general. With the help of U Win Htay, we compiled a booklet including the commemorative issue of “RIT Alumni International Newsletter” for sPZP-2000, and selected news and articles about the “Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65”.
Benny Tan spoke on behalf of the alumni.
Saya U Win Mra (Myanmar HRC Chair) spoke on behalf of the sayas.
On behalf of Steeve, the committee members (such as Rosie Mai Khin Nyunt) offered Garawa money of K2 Lakhs to the sayagyis and sayamagyis, and K1 Lakh to the sayas and sayamas.
The attendees include
- U Thar Htay (M70) : major donor to the Aariya Pu Zaw Pwes held by the group
- Benny Tan (M70) : multiple Golden Sponsor of SPZPs and the class PZPs along with Steeve
- U Hla Min (EC69) : Guest speaker at the PZP
- U Hla Win (M73) and U Thant Zin (M82) : volunteers with the Steeve and Helen Kay Health Care Fund
- U Myint Toe (M71)
U Thein Kyaing (T72)
- U Thein Kyaing (George, T72) is a classmate of Daw Khin Htar Yee (Lily)
- He and his spouse Daw Tin Tin Hlaing (MBBS) gave away their daughter Eileen (MD)
U Tin Oo (M87) and U Kyaw Hlaing (M86)
- U Tin Oo (Richard, M87) donated to SPZPs, SDYF and RITAA. His company sponsored gift bags for SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016. He also sponsored Technical and Management Talks. During my visit, he hosted a lunch gathering for me, and he gave me a ride on another occasion to attend a family gathering.
- U Kyaw Hlaing (M86) served as Treasurer for SDYF. His group helped the eligible and needy students (who did not receive “full” stipend from NorCal RITAA).
- Daw Myint Myint Than (C71) and Daw Tin Aye (C7x) published photos of some Tazaungdaing events.
- One event took place in the Gyogone Campus.
- One event took place at the Shwe Dagon Pagoda.
Belles in the ’70s
- Min Thet Mon (Pamela Myo Min)
- Phyu Phyu Latt (Christine)
- Than Than Yi (GBNF)
- Tin Tin Myint (Emma Myint)
- Aye Aye Than (Pauk Pauk)
- Aye Aye Tun
- Jessie Htwe
- Nilar Mya Aung
- Mai Khin Nyunt (Rosie)
- Sandi Hlaing
- Mar Mar Yee
Sayas and Alumni in Singapore
- Saya U Thein Lwin (EE, GBNF) was President of RIT Badminton. He is an alumni of Lehigh University. He retired after teaching at RIT and Singapore Polytechnic. He is the elder brother of U Myo Myint (ChE from US), U Kyi Lwin (George, C67), U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69) and U Thet Lwin (Henry, EE72).
- Sayama Daw May Than Nwe (Joyce, GBNF) stood first in the Physics Honors class in 1962. Her classmates include Dr. Sein Tun, Sayama Daw Emile Ba Aye and Sayama Daw Khin Than Nwe.
- Saya and Sayama passed away within a few months of each other. Their daughter is a Professor and a former swimming champion.
- Saya U Kyaw Sein (M65) was active in RIT-related Facebook pages.
- Saya U Tu Myint (Winston) supervised the “Hovercraft” project for the M73 students.
- U Nyan Win Shwe (William, M72) chaired SPZP-2007.
- U Myint Thin (Peter, M71) was a Luyechun. He rowed for RIT.
- U Tin Aung Win (M7x) is one of the members to greet Saya U Ba Than and send off
- U Win Naing (Dicky Tan, M69) is GBNF.
- U Thein Swe (EP69) was then working in Singapore.
- U Myint Thein (Kabar, M69, GBNF) was then visiting Singapore.
- U Tin Swe (ChE66) and Daw Yi Yi Khaing (Vilam, ChE69)
Seniors at MES
- MES holds “Thet Kyee Pu Zaw Pwe” for engineers and architects who are 75+ years old.
- Sayadaw Dr. Lwin Aung (A59, retired Pro-Rector)
- Sayadaw U Bo Gyi (A59, talented pianist, architect for Daw Khin Kyi Mausoleum)
Aung Khin and Myo Nyunt
- U Aung Khin (A69) and Daw Tin Tin Hla (A70) retired from Botwana and moved to Seattle to be near their daughters and grandchildren.
- U Myo Nyunt (C69) and spouse visited their second son (working in Seattle) almost every year. They also made side trips.
- U Aung Myint (Min71) is the younger brother of A1 Than Htut and A1 Thein Htut (twin brothers who won prizes at the Myawadday Photo Contest, and later became movie directors).
- He became known as Thamankyar Ko Myint.
- He is a good guitarist and vocalist.
Some attendees at SPZP-2000
- Sai Tun Aye : Canada
- Dr. Myo Khin : Japan
- U Tin Myint (John) and Lyo : California
- Maung Toung (Tom) and Ma Khin Myint (Kim) : Connecticut
- U Tint Lwin (Daniel) : Singapore
Soe Myint Lwin
- U Soe Myint Lwin (EP68, GBNF) served as and Executive Committee Member of RIT EE Association.
- He represented the Universities, EPC and Burma in soccer.
- After retirement, he was active with the Myanmar Soccer Federation. He received an award for his social work and leadership.
Tin Aung Win (Oscar)
- U Aung Min (M69) is Chair of 69er Health Care Fund.
- He is a Pho Pho.
Than Htaik and Aung Win
- U Than Htike (M70)
- U Aung Win (Owen, M71)
Sann Naing’s Soon Kyway at HMB
- U San Naing (M83) owns Burma Kitchen.
- He and his siblings celebrated their mother’s birthday with a Soon Kyway at Dhammanda Vihara, Hlaf Moon Bay.
Soe Aung and Zaw Win
- U Soe Aung (M/Auto70) served as Secretary of RIT Ah Nu Pyinnya Ah Thin.
- He is seen at a Conference.
- U Zaw Win (Zin Yaw, Min71) and U Soe Aung are organizers of the “Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 amd 65”. They love writing and giving lectures.
Shwe Zin Ma
- She is a musician, a Zat sayama and Minthamee
Soon Kyway for Kabar
Stan Liou (M67, UTC)
- Stan Liou (M67) was a member of the RIT Table Tennis Team that won the Inter-Institute Trophy along with Maung Maung (“Sin Gyi”) and Win Myint.
Saya Mao Toon Siong (M62, Burma Champion, National Coach) managed the team.
- Stan joined UTC
- Founding member of NorCal RITAA
- Past Chair, BOD, NorCal RITAA
Categories: RIT Memories