Update : October 11, 2021
Hall of Fame
- In 2017, I was listed in the “Hall of Fame” of Toastmasters International District 101.
- J oined District 4 (an early District) of Toastmasters International.
It grew too big and was reorganized as District 4 and
District 101 (for clubs that are mostly located near Highway 101).
- Won the DTM (Distinguished Toastmaster) award.
- Won the “Triple Crown” for completing three awards between May and November of 2017.
- Visited Halin (inhabited by the Pyu) near Shwe Bo.
- Halin was declared as UN Heritage Site.
- Not easy to go to Halin by the supposedly “short cut route“
(especially with ongoing repairs to the narrow road .
- The Museum provided pamphlets with
Halin Pyu Stone Inscription
Hell-Hound At Large
- Bogyoke Aung San (Editor of Oway Magazine) was expelled for not disclosing
the author of the satirical article “The Hell-Hound At Large”.
- The authorities knew that Oway U Mya was the author, but they wanted
to take action against Bogyoke Aung San.
- The History of Myanmar Engineering Education book was published in 2012.
- Saya U Aung Hla Tun (National Literary Award Winner) was the Lead Author of the Project.
Saya and his team members are seen in the Group Photo below.
- The early supporters of the Project include
Saya U Ba Than (Retired Professor of Mechanical Engineering),
Saya U Soe Paing (My mentor at RIT and UCC) and
Saya U Thaw Kaung (Retired Chief Librarian of Universities’ Central Library).
- U Ohn Khine (M70) and I compiled the CD Supplement for the Book.
- Saya U Soe Paing and U Ohn Khine translated Section One and summarized Section Two of the Book.
- In 1970, RIT took part in the “Entertainment Program” for the
Rangoon University Shwe YaDu (Golden Jubilee).
- Htee Yein was a hit at the Shwe YaDu Celebrations.
- Swel Daw Yeik Ah Nyeint was also a feature.
- The terms “Swel Daw” and “Swel Daw Yeik” became known as synonyms
for RIT in general and the Engineering Institutions in Burma in particular.
Htay Aung (M69)
- Won most of the Free Style Swimming events (100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m and Cross Lake) at RIT and the All Institute Competitions.
- Served as Secretary of the RIT Swimming Association.
- Represented Burma in Water Polo at the 1969 SEAP Games.
- Spouse : Ma Than Than (Burma Champion Sprinter)
- Regular attendee at RIT 69er Monthly Breakfast Gatherings at Taw Win Hnin Si (Royal Rose) Restaurant.
- Aging (notably hard of hearing) has caught up with the former Swimming Champion.
Htin Aung, Dr.
- Dr. Htin Aung (C69) retired as Professor of Civil Engineering from YIT / YTU.
- Represented RIT in Chinlon.
- Good Badminton and Soccer player.
- Note : There are several Dr. Htin Aung starting with the first native Rector of Rangoon University, and a twin brother (both Physics Ph.D’s).
- Pen name of U Thein Maung.
- National Literary Award Winner
- Taught English at a Tuition Class co-founded by Saya U Khin Maung Latt.
- Eldest son : Soe Myint (GBNF) graduated with Triple Maths, but chose journalism as his career.
He was Chief Editor of the Guardian (at the time I was writing poems and Computer articles).
- Younger sons : Soe Win (EC70, UCC, PTC), Kyaw Zaw (EC72, High School Luyechun, DCA, GBNF) and Khin Zaw (UCC).
- His great grand son (son of U Khin Maung Zaw and Dr. Daw Khin Khin Latt) is named Htin Lin.
Related Album / Posts
- Highlights : 1954 – 56
- Hla Min