Update : October 11, 2021
- RIT is known for its cartoonists in general and “Cartoon Box” in particular.
- Ko Myint Pe (M72) co-founded “Cartoon Box” under the Patronage of
Saya U Khin Maung Phone Ko (C65, “Phone Ko”, Vietnam Cartoons) and
Saya U Aung Myint (Pet69, “Kyant Ba Hone”).
- Aw Pi Kyeh (“Mann Bei”) served as
Secretary of RIT Cartoonists Association and later
President of Myanmar Cartoonists Association.
- The cartoonists compiled a commemorative issue of “Selected RIT Cartoons” in time for SPZP-2012. They also published Cartoon Brochures for Shwe YaDu in 2014 and SPP-2016.
- The Rangoon University Act of 1920 stated that the Prime Minister would serve as Chancellor.
- The Act also defined the roles of Vice-Chancellor and Pro Vice-Chancellor.
- Prime Minister U Nu gave the Chancellor’s speech at the Convocation of Rangoon University in November / December 1961.
- For a period (especially citing Insecurity), the gates to the Chancellor Road were closed or closely guarded.
- The Yar Pyae Ak Kyo (Pre-RU Centennial) began in December, 2019.
- Some of the RU Centennial events for took place at the Convocation Hall, Recreation Center and the Universities’ Central Library.
- Due to Covid-19 pandemic, there were often restrictions.
Some events were recorded in the Campus, and broadcast later via Myanmar Ah Than.
- Coup d’etat by the 17-man Revolutionary Council took place on March 2, 1962.
- Commodore Than Pe (President of RUBC) was appointed Minister of Health and Education.
He passed away shortly after wards.
- Colonel Hla Han succeeded Commodore Than Pe as Minister of Health and Education.
He became Chair of the Rangoon University Council.
Chou En Lai
The Chinese Prime Minister visited Burma and took part in the Thingyan Festival.
- The Convocation is mostly held at the Convocation Hall.
- Exceptions include the ad hoc Convocation ceremonies at Kyaikkasan and Aung San Stadium.
- Some graduates had to wait a few years for their Convocation.
- Known as “Pa Pu”, “Nay Dun” and “Nay Win (B.A.)”.
- Joined the Navy before attending RU.
- Represented RU and Burma in Soccer.
- U Chin Sein auditioned him for the leading role of Collegian (movie based on Zawana’s novel).
He became known as “Collegian Nay Win”.
- Swimmers participate in the Cross Lake event held in the Inya Lakes.
- The 2000 yard course runs from Dubern Beach to RUBC (Rangoon University Boat Club).
- Nyunt Nyunt Tin posted a photo of her Gold Medal.
- From RIT, the winners included Htay Aung (M69, Burma Selected for Water Polo)
Related Albums / Posts
- Chemical Engineering
- Chit Swe
- Civil Engineering