Update : October 11, 2021
Amyotha Aung Pwe Nay
- The First Rangoon University Students’ Strike took place on December 5, 1920 to protest the limitations of the Rangoon University Act of 1920.
- The movement led to the establishment of Amyotha Kyaung (National School) and Amyotha Kaw Leik (National College).
- The Burmese date — 10th Waning Day of Tazaung Mon Month in Burmese Era 1282 — is used for the Celebration of Ah Myo Tha Aung Pwe Nay.
- There is a difference of 638 years in the Gregorian and Burmese Calendars.
Note that the Gregorian New Year falls on January 1, while the Burmese New Year falls around April 17.
A correction is needed for the period January 1 to April 17.
- To convert from AD to BE, subtract 638.
e.g. 1920 – 638 = 1282
- To convert from BE to AD, add 638.
e.g. 1282 + 638 = 1920
- The following is a commemorative stamp for the Golden Jubilee of Amyotha Aung Pwe Nay.
- He was born on February 13, 1915.
- His Zartar name (per his natal horoscope) was Htain Lin
- His formal name is Aung San (which rhymes with Aung Than : name of his elder brother).
- Bogyoke Aung San led a Burmese delegation to London in 1947.
He signed the Aung San – Atlee Agreement (Sar Choke).
- He was assassinated on July 19, 1947 along with six Ministers (Thakin Mya, Deedok U Ba Cho, Mahn Ba Khaing, Mongpawn Sawbwa Sao San Htun, U Ba Win U Razak), ICS U Ohn Maung and Yebaw Ko Dway.
- Centennial Celebrations were held in 2015.
I wrote “A-U-N-G S-A-N” for the Centennial Celebration held in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Australia in 2016
- In 2016, I visited Sydney, Australia to attend three gatherings :
De La Salle Schools Alumni (mostly SPHS Alumni)
- The Annual Dinner of Myanmar Engineers (mostly alumni of RIT) was organized by Saya U Hla Myint (Charlie, M65), Saya U Myo Win (Melvin, M65) and the Executive Committee and members of MEAA (U “Henry” Thet Tun, U Sein Win, U Wint Khin Zaw, …).
The attendees included Sayagyi D. Freddie Ba Hli (National Advisor for the Ministry of Planning, former DG of UBARI, GBNF).
Sayas and sayamas who could not attend include Saya U Thit (Metallurgy), Saya U Maung Maung Win (M61) and Sayama Daw Yin Yin Mya (Terry, English).
The spouses of several alumni are medical doctors.
- Saya U Aung Zaw (UCC, CSO, ABAC) and Ma Kyawt hosted a UCC Pu Zaw Pwe for Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe (Founder of UCC, Pioneer of Computer Education and Application in Burma, GBNF) and Sayagyi Dr. Freddie Ba Hli (Board Member of UCC Project, GBNF).
- Saya Dr. Thann Naing (Bonnie Kywe, SPHS 66, Geology 70) hosted a lunch gathering in the Olympic Park for the alumni of De La Salle Schools (e.g. St. Paul’s, St. Peter’s, St. Albert’s) in Burma.
Attendees included Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint (Johnny Kyaw Myint, SPHS6) who flew in from Brisbane, Ko Myo Lwin (Stanley Saw, SPHS65, M71, New Zealand).
The entertainer was U Pantra (Moe Ma Ka Sydney / Australia, Pattla expert).
All Mechanical Gatherings
- The first gathering was held in 2016.
The Master of Ceremonies were U Hla Win and Daw Mar Mar Yee.
- Annual gatherings were held in subsequent years.
- The following is the invitation for the gathering in 2018 held at Dolphin Restaurant.
- The Gathering for 2019 was moved to a restaurant in Pyithu Yin Pyin near Shwe Dagon Pagoda.
Attendees paid respect to Thet Kyee Sayas and Engineers (80+ years young).
Allen Htay (C58, GBNF)
- Saya Allen Htay joined the Civil Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering in 1958 as an Assistant Lecturer.
- MS from Harvard University
- Upon return to Burma, he was promoted to Lecturer.
- Also studied in Netherlands.
- Worked for UN project in Bangladesh.
- Moved to USA.
- Leader of the San Francisco Bay Area Alumni Group and President of RIT Alumni International.
- Core organizer for SPZP-2000 (First RIT Grand Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe) in San Francisco, California in October 2000.
- His article “Brother, can you spare US $500?” led to five Golden Sponsors and many donors — large and small.
- Saya retired twice, but came out of retirement because his former students offered him jobs.
He passed away while working for CalTrans (California Transportation).
- In his memory, Saya’s spouse Daw Mu Mu Kin donated Saya’s books to YTU Library.
She also provided financial aid to eligible YTU students.
Aung Moung (M73, GBNF)
- Sayagyi U Ba Than (former Professor of Mechanical Engineering) suffered a great loss when Ko Aung Moung passed away.
- Ko Aung Moung was a core volunteer for SPZPs, HMEE project, and several RIT-related activities.
- He also volunteered for several monasteries.
Many monks offered to come by themselves to the Final Journey at Yay Way.
Aw Pi Kyeh
- “RIT Cartoon Box” was founded by U Myint Pe (M72) with the help of Saya U Khin Maung Phone Ko (“Phone Ko”, C65) and Saya U Aung Myint (“Kyant Ba Hone”, Pet 79).
- Four (or more) generations of Cartoonists ran “RIT Cartoon Box”.
- The Box was closed after 8-8-88.
- One popular cartoonist was “Mann Bei”.
Served as Secretary of the RIT Cartoonists Association.
Gained fame as “Aw Pi Kyeh”.
Became President of Myanmar Cartoonists Association.
- During his tour to USA, I met him twice :
once in Northern California (at the beginning of his trip) and
once in Southern California (at the end of the trip).
There were at least two sets of autographs in the RU Centennial Facebook Group.
- One posted by Hazel Kyaw Zaw (about her mother Daw Chit Swe’s autograph)
- Another posted by Audrey Than (about her role models including UNSG U Thant)
(Khin Maung Myint, Writer)
- For RU Centennial, there were posts about some notable Burmese / Myanmar authors, poets, academicians and politicians.
- An example is provided below.
- Wrote about Burmese / Myanmar names and provided a brief biography of selected people.
- One post is about Burmese names that start with “A”
e.g. Aung Gyi, Aung Khin, Aung Pyie