Burma Institute of Technology (BIT)
- Not sure if “BIT Rangoon” was considered as an alternative to RIT.
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) has several campuses.
The five oldest IIT campuses and their establishment dates are:
- IIT Kharagpur IITKGP 1951
- IIT Bombay IITB 1958
- IIT Kanpur IITK 1959
- IIT Madras IITM 1959
- IIT Delhi IITD 1963 [founded in 1961]
Most of the top students of IIT continue their studies at the prestigious universities in the US.
Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)
- AIT (Asian Institute of Technology) was supposedly started as a school for SEATO (South East Asian Treaty Organization).
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Sayagyi Dr. Freddie Ba Hli received his Sc.D. in EE from MIT.
- Mentor to Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi and Sayagyi U Min Wun, who were among the first three engineering undergraduates to be chosen under the “TWINNING PROGRAM” initiated by Sayagyi U Ba Hli, first native Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Rangoon University.
Further Name Changes
RIT was renamed as
- YIT (Yangon Institute of Technology)
- and later as YTU (Yangon Technological University).
RIT is a Placeholder
- In 1999, I started the “RIT Alumni International Newsletter”
- My alma mater was called RIT during our days.
I attended RIT from 1964 to 1969.
- Mentioned repeatedly that “RIT” is simply a placeholder for all the engineering schools in Myanmar that precede and succeed RIT.
Categories: Names : U to Z