- Saya Allen Htay (C58) attended schools in Mandalay and Rangoon.
- He is the son of U Ba Htay, whose cousins include Kyar Ba Nyein (Boxing and Checkers) and Bohmu Ba Thaw (Navy, “Maung Thaw Ka”).
- His mother requested him to finish his studies at the Faculty of Engineering and not to apply for scholarships before graduation.
- After graduation, he joined the faculty along with Dr. San Hla Aung as Assistant Lecturers.
- He studied for his Masters at Harvard University. He also took some courses (e.g. Scheme programming language) at MIT.
- On the return trip on an ocean liner, he played Bridge with Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt (M60), Saya U Soe Paing (EE, UCC) and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (C, UCC). They became close friends. Three of them became neighbors in the RIT Compound.
- He was promoted to Lecturer.
- He retired and un-retired twice in the USA.
- His last job was with CalTran (California Transportation).
- He had a stroke while accompanying his spouse Daw Mu Mu Kin (MEHS57) to the MEHS Reunion in Las Vegas.
- He recovered briefly, but passed away.
- He was President of the “RT Photography Association”.
- He was the leader of the San Francisco Bay Area RIT Alumni.
- He is a founding member of “RIT Alumni International” and served as its President.
- For SPZP-2000, he wrote, “Brother, can you spare US $500?”
- For the Photo Gallery of https://www.ex-rit.org, he submitted the Class photo of C58. He asked his classmates Saya Dr. San Hla Aung and U Khin Maung Win (Sid Chen, GBNF) to help with the caption
- He took photos for the 10th Anniversary of RIT Alumni International
- He provided a Brief Biography (which needs to be updated to include his four grand children. One has Allen as the first name. Another has Allen as the middle name.)
- In Saya’s memory, Daw Mu Mu Kin donated saya’s books to YTU library and provided book shelves.
The donation was coordinated by Maurice Chee (M75).
- Daw Mu Mu Kin also provided scholarships to YTU students.
The scholarship program is coordinated by NorCal RITAA and volunteer members in Yangon (some of whom are EC for RITAA),
Categories: RIT Saya