My parents decided to transfer me to SPHS (St. Paul’s High School) after passing Third Standard from PPBRS (Private Primary Boundary Road School). My brother was then studying for his Matriculation in SPHS.
- SPHS has some unpublished rules.
- The Brothers prefer students to start from KG, or at least transfer from their affiliated Catholic Schools.
- The applicant should have a relative who is a current or Old Paulian.
- Sections (A) and (B) are usually assigned to good students.
- Newcomers are usually not assigned to Sections (A) and (B).
- Even though I placed second in PPBRS, I was admitted to St. IV(D). After doing well in IV(D), V(D), VI(D) and VII(D), I was permitted to join Section (A). I attended VIII(D), IX(D) and X(D).
My class teachers at SPHS were
- Std. IVD : Mrs. A Benjamin
- Std. VD : Mrs. Violet Boudville
- Std. VID : Saya U Pe Maung Tin
- Std. VIID : Saya U Nge
- Std. VIIIA : Brother Anthony
- Std. IXA : Brother Xavier
- Std. XA : Brother Austin
Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint wrote :
I also joined at IVD, moving from St Philomena’ boy school (across the road from Convent). Like you wrote you start with D, then worked your way up to A. Our class teacher was Mrs Benjamin, who had to teach newcomers and plodders from earlier SPHS classes. Once when she was upset with us she shouted “Do you all know that IV D is the waste basket of St Paul’s?“. Nice to know that you were in IV D like me at the start.