- Also known as Freddie Ba San
- Stood third in the whole of Burma in the Matriculation of 1963
- Won Collegiate Scholarship
- Mastered phonetics
- Read lots of English books.
- One would not be surprised that he scored distinctions in English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- A little bit older than us, and that might have given him a slight advantage in the early years.
- Gave me a quiz. “How do you pronounce GHOTI?”
I gave an answer which he corrected as “FISH”.
He had read George Bernard Shaw, who posed the quiz as a lesson on the eccentricities of English.
GH is phonetically equivalent to F as in ROUGH.
O is phonetically equivalent to I as in WOMAN.
TI is phonetically equivalent to SH as in ATTENTION.
Thus, GHOTI is phonetically equivalent to FISH.
- Became a surgeon
- Stress caused him to take early retirement.
- Sadly, he passed away.
He can be seen fifth from the left in the third row in the picture of Std VIII(A) of SPHS.