- In the 60s, the Electrical Engineering Department offered EC (Electrical Communications) and EP (Electrical Power) courses.
- During our RIT days, the EP students outnumber the EC students by roughly 3 to 1. A rationale was that EP students can get jobs much more easily than EC students.
- Ma Tin Tin (Anne, EC69) was the sole female EE student from the Class of 69.
- The Class of EE 67 had Daw Yee Yee Aung, Daw Nancy and Daw Maywaddy Tun Tun.
- Daw Mya Mya Than (EP68) joined the faculty.
- In the following decades, the EC (now known as EcE or Electronics) students “overtook” the EP students.
- EE formally evolved into two Departments.
- There were more female EE students, and several joined the faculty. A few rose to become Associate Professors and Professors.
The following is a partial list of GBNF.
(1) U Kyaw Tun (Saya of our sayas)
Father of Dr. Elizabeth (English), Daw Dorothy (Mrs. TAW), …
(2) U C Ping Lee
Moved to head the Dept of Vocational and Tech at the request of the then HE U Than Aung, Minister of Education
(3) Dr. Freddie Ba Hli (taught part time)
Served as Director General of UBARI,
Advisor for National Planning Ministry
Board member of UCC
(4) U Sein Hlaing (Professor until retirement)
Passed away a couple of years after retirement
(5) U Tin Swe (Lecturer until retirement)
Was a star soccer player.
Also good at tennis.
Power user at UCC
(6) U Sein Win (Professor of the newly established EP Dept)
Managed RIT rowing & swimming teams
Advisor for UCC
(7) U Htin Paw
Moved to UBARI and then to Electrical Inspectorate
later migrated to USA
(8) Dr. San Tint (Professor of the newly established EcE Dept)
Played on the Saya soccer team
External examiner for UCC and DCS
(9) U Thein Lwin
Elder brother of U Myo Myint, U Kyi Lwin, U Tint Lwin, U Thet Lwin …
Spouse of Sayama Daw May Than Nwe (Joyce, Phyiscs, GBNF)
Retired from Singapore Poly
(10) U Soe Min
Moved to DCA after returning from UK
(11) U Chin Way
Was active in SPARK
Migrated to USA
(12) U Tin Shwe
Became monk after retiring from ABAC
Some Junior sayas that are GBNF
(13) U Kyaw Naing (Sin Gwan)
Wrote “Computer ah sa Pay thee ga”;
(14) Daw Nyunt Nyunt Yee (Mrs. Sein Hlaing)
EC/EP PZP a few years back
U Soe Paing, U Thein Lwin, U Moe Aung (Tekkatho Moe War), U Tin Maung Thein, Dr. Ba Lwin, U Myo Kyi, U Ba Myint, U Sein Maung, U Khaing Oo, and Daw Mya Mya Than are seen at the recent EC/EP Saya Pu Zaw Pwe.
Photo : Daw Than Yi (Maubin Ma Shwe Than, EP70)
Categories: Engg Dept